My first IDPA match

This is a discussion on My first IDPA match within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so i had my first idpa match today. i must admit, it was a lot of fun . i didnt do well at all. came ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first IDPA match

My first IDPA match

so i had my first idpa match today. i must admit, it was a lot of fun . i didnt do well at all. came in more than last place. i really dont care what 'place' i came in. im not one for competition at all, but i didnt do anywhere near as well as i should have .
    friday night i was at the range practicing drawing from the holster, 'rapid fire', etc. and did GREAT. on the silhouette i had every hole in the +0 area, and just about all of the wholes touching, if not inside each other.
    but ones you through in a timer and a bunch of people watching me, all my good habits fly out the window and i cant do anything right
    oh well. i guess i just need more practice.
    i also realized that i cant shoot worth a crap one handed. and really really cant shoot just left handed. that did not go well at all. although i think that one had a lot to do with strength, not just practice (although that too). theres just no way i can keep my left wrist from breaking. o well.
    hopefully ill do better next time. until then ill be at the range.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    thats why IDPA is sooooooo good because you feel the pressure and are forced to lean good habbits under pressure. Just keep doing it and it may save you or a loved ones life one day.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Ahhh, one more has fallen into the dark side!
    Welcome!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - fun huh??!

True - the pressure aspect is in its own way useful even if the whole deal is basically a game. It does IMO help hone draw skills .. plus finding that speed you personally can shoot and stay accurate.

Always tempting when watching the guys who shoot well - to try and match their speed .. not worth it! Slow down as much as needed and get them hits - then over time the speed aspect will come along on its own.

I have to wait until April for my first IDPA comp shoot at the club I use for that - looking fwd to it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1 P95Carry
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

IDPA is the most fun I've ever had with a gun. Like you friesepferd I came in dead last at first, but now after a little over a year since starting, I am only near the bottom. But I have learned more about guns than I ever had before. I don't see giving up this new sport for a long time.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Administrator
    I dont think anybody does well the first time out. Keep it up, and its about having fun and learning, not a score.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    OK, here is a trick lots of us use in IDPA matches.

First, extend your shooting arm & lock the elbow.
    Second:
    Strong Hand Only: Make a fist with your weak hand and place it right on the fold where the arm & the shoulder join right above the armpit. Sort like the roman salute to the Caesar we seen in movies.

Weak Hand Only: The above in reverse.

Shoot slow, the wrist will absorb the recoil so they need to be flexible but not too much. If you go to the range and practice, shoot at least 10 strong hand and 20 weak hand using the drill above. It will come a time that you will not need the support of the non-shooting hand.

And, Of course take your time and aim!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

My last experience with IDPA:

Ref: "You can't load your gun like that"
    Me: "o. k."

"You can't reload like that"
    "o. k."

"You can't load your gun like that"
    "o. k."

"o. k."

"o. k."

"o. k."

"o. k."

"o. k."

Ref: "No, I said shoot each target 2 times in the chest and then one shot in each head. That's a 5 second penalty."

Ref: "Why do you reload like that? I've never done it that way."
    Me: "There's probably a lot of things I do that you've never done."

Ref: "You need to keep the weapon pointed down range. Straight up in the air is not safe."
    Me: "Are you serious?"

Ref: "Oh, I was supposed to make this stage? Give me 2 minutes and I'll come up with something."
    Me: "I thought you did this every week..."

Ref: "You're fast. What kind of work did you have done to your gun?"
    Me: "Lots of dry fire and range time. I don't... oh! no, this is stock, not some gamer gun. You?"
    Ref: "<silence>"
    Tony Siciliano
    Senior Instructor
    LMS Defense - East Coast
    tonysiciliano@lmsdefense.com
    www.lmsdefense.com
    Join us on the LMSD Forum

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Do IDPA matches cost anything to enter or is it just 'run what you brung' with a sign-up sheet? I've been wanting to do this for a long time but I've heard similar sentiments to the above post before. If they have certain rules about reloading and I get penalized in the middle of a run I think I might just turn around and leave.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Do IDPA matches cost anything to enter or is it just 'run what you brung' with a sign-up sheet?
    There's a match fee, usually about $10--$15. Most clubs will let you shoot once (or twice, maybe) without an IDPA membership, but if you keep going after that you need to join.

IDPA is very much oriented around stock weapons, mags, holsters, &c. In fact, competition-only gear is specifically not allowed.

Rules on reloading are pretty simple. Most times, you just shoot to slide lock, drop the mag, reload and go. If there is available cover on the course (barricades, barrels, and such) it's a penalty to reload out in the open.

Some stages will specify a 'retention' reload, which means you pull a partial mag and stow it, live round in chamber, then put the new mag in. Again, needs to be done behind cover. You can always do a retention reload yourself if you'd prefer to top off before slide lock, but you have to stow the mag.

The comment about avoiding high muzzles is generally specific to the safety rules of the range you are using. My club is muzzle-low, because the only truly safe direction there is the berm behind the action range. If your muzzle is high, you end up aiming towards the slew of car dealerships and McMansions off in the direction behind the berm...

As for the rest, well, there are jerks everywhere. I find the safety officers at my club to be pretty well behaved towards the shooters. Other places, this may not be the case.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Friesepferd, something to try when shooting one handed, either strong or support side: cant the gun in about 10° or so toward the center of your body. Not full on gangsta style (unless you're professional enough) but just a slight tilt. You can see and feel the bones in your wrist and arm line up. This will help absorb recoil better, and it will allow you to get more of your pectoralis major behind pulling the sights back on target.

I can empathize with merging IDPA allowed techniques and what you learn in combat oriented training. I was always trained to bring the gun in close on reloads keeping the muzzle between my eyes and the target, but consequently pointing up at a 45° angle - ideal for fast reloads in a bad situation, but not so safe for shooting on the bottom floor of a two story range - or, as you say, where an ND might drop over the berm on a schoolyard. I've modified my reloads to keep the muzzle level - it's slowed me down somewhat, but I figure the benefits I get out of IDPA more than compensate.

One thing I think is funny as heck; IDPA is completely obsessive compulsive about using cover. Now I don't necessarily disagree, but to a person - almost everyone I see shooting IDPA rubs up against that cover like it was a stripper pole! Muzzle plus a foot folks! If you're leaving your cologne on the cover, you're too close.

Joe

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Honestly, there's decent reasons to do a muzzle level reload, too. It isn't just a 'game' mechanic. You can reload with the gun pretty much still in a muzzle downrange firing position, which means the time from reload to aim and shoot is a little faster then reloading from high and tight.

I guess I never learned muzzle high reloads so I didn't have anything to unlearn for my IDPA range. I am pretty happy with my reloads anyway.

Friesepferd, it sounds like you are already off to a great start and you should have a lot of fun. You can treat IDPA as more realistic practice and training, or you can just treat it as a game that gives you something other than shooting down a fixed lane at the range. Either way you will get something out of it, probably meet some very nice people, and have a great way to spend a few days a month. Keep up your aim and your technique, and the speed will follow!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    so i had my first idpa match today. i must admit, it was a lot of fun . i didnt do well at all. came in more than last place. i really dont care what 'place' i came in. im not one for competition at all, but i didnt do anywhere near as well as i should have .
    friday night i was at the range practicing drawing from the holster, 'rapid fire', etc. and did GREAT. on the silhouette i had every hole in the +0 area, and just about all of the wholes touching, if not inside each other.
    but ones you through in a timer and a bunch of people watching me, all my good habits fly out the window and i cant do anything right
    oh well. i guess i just need more practice.
    i also realized that i cant shoot worth a crap one handed. and really really cant shoot just left handed. that did not go well at all. although i think that one had a lot to do with strength, not just practice (although that too). theres just no way i can keep my left wrist from breaking. o well.
    hopefully ill do better next time. until then ill be at the range.
    First Check pistol is unloaded then check again and one more time then Practice Draw/Dry fire at home in a safe room.
    And attend more IDPA matches and you WILL get better!
    Shoot Safe!
    Have Fun!
    MC
    Shoot Safe!
    Shoot Straight!
    www.mcsportingarms.com
    Kansas Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor.

thanks for the input guys. i think the main thing i learned while i was there was
    "you cant miss fast enough"
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links