Strange Attitude

This is a discussion on Strange Attitude within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been involved, over the past year and a half with a CCW Class, which is taught in Wadsworth, Ohio. When the CCW Law ...

Thread: Strange Attitude

Question Strange Attitude

I have been involved, over the past year and a half with a CCW Class, which is taught in Wadsworth, Ohio. When the CCW Law was passed last year a group of us immediately looked into getting our licenses and found that the cost of the required class and range time would run us between $120 and $160. This to us seemed like a lot of money, and we also felt that a price that high would prevent a lot of people from getting their licenses. We decided to try to do better. We set the price at $39, had our main instructor NRA Certified, and went out and tried to teach a fun but informative class.
    In the year plus that we have been running the class we have graduated over 1000 students.
    What's sad is that other classes in this state seemed to feel threatened by us and when people inquire about us they make negative or disparaging remarks. They seem to have forgotten that the ultimate goal here is to make it possible for people to get their CCW License. One class made a comment to a potential student of ,"Well those people in Wadsworth are all volunteers, you know what that means." I'm not sure what that means.
    If you live in Ohio and want to get your license you don't have to pay a lot of money. You also won't hear us bad mouthing anybody else. If you want to take another class by all means do so. I'm just blowing off a little steam here, and wondering why some people feel it's necessary to make things up about a bunch of volunteers who believe strongly in the benefits of CCW.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    you are threatening their income , so they want to try and discourage folks from going to you for classes. Sounds as if you are doing a good job, if you have em worried. But , on the other hand , the class I took was not that good. Luckily I had previous pistol training , including PD, so it wasn't so bad for me, but the novice probably didn't get as good of training as they could have.

Administrator

Thumbs up Suggestions

You need to do some serious self promotion that toots your own horn without smashing their horn. Print brochures that stress your staff qualifications, your friendly congenial instruction, and the lower price.
    Stress the fact that your ultimate goal is to provide SAFE quality instruction at a fair price. NEW SHOOTERS will usually feel very intimidated when first learning how to shoot. Take advantage of that by making them feel extra welcome & relaxed. Have ZERO tolerance for any ridicule or embarrassing comments in your classes & your range sessions.
    Word will then QUICKLY get out that your place is THE place for new shooters to go to learn to shoot.
    Add your advertising costs to your instruction fee & you will STILL be priced much lower than your competition.
    FIND A GOOD STUDENT PHOTOGRAPHER to take LARGE quality COLOR photographs of your actual instruction & shooting sessions.
    Use copies of those photographs (on a display board) to promote yourselves at shooting events, etc.
    Most people have NO IDEA how to promote themselves.

Find an Art School in your local area & make your brochure one of their class projects. Have a NICE logo designed while you are at it.
    Offer a $100.00 or $200.00 cash prize for the winning brochure.
    Offer a $50.00 cash prize for the winning logo design.
    Art students LOVE to work on "Real Life" commercial art projects that will actually get printed...so that they can use that printed material in their job portfolio. They WILL go the "extra mile" to do something for you that is especially nice!
    Plus...they usually could really use the extra cash.
    Have NICE professional business cards printed.
    Have all of your teaching staff wear the same printed "Staff Shirts"
    That sure does add an air of professionalism and you will SMOKE YOUR COMPETITION without saying a bad word about them.
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 30th, 2005 at 09:18 AM.

The class is sold out every month. It just would be nice if everyone's top priority was to get people their licenses, something we think is extremely important.

Hask the fact is you are doing something that is good and right for the betterment of others. Any such action is inevitably met with slander, libel, ridicule, hatred, and harassment. I hate to drop cheesy quotes, but Mother Teresa said it best I think:

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Teresa
    People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway. If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies; Succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway. The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; It was never between you and them anyway.

Assistant Administrator
    I can understand Hask's feelings but certainly commend him and his team for offering what they do - I also consider that getting folks trained far exceeds pure business money making.

I must have spent in region, total, of $500 to go thru my NRA certification - overnight costs added of course and gas money. I have yet to really see much of that back, which I would like in principle.

However, the courses I teach on are kept low price on purpose and the 4 other guys who help out (there are just two of us certified) also come in for genuine altruistic reasons. We don't have a mandatory training need here but plenty of folks want to do basic pistol and last month we did Personal Protection, within which we did a lot of practical stuff on the range. It was we felt a good CCW course.

Stick at it Hask - I regard this as giving something back and also a means to educate and encourage - anything in fact that helps RKBA. QK made some useful suggestions tho I doubt you'll have too much money to throw at promo' things.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I aree and was just saying the same thing here in Minnestoa. The hi license fee from the sheriff's doesn't help either. I think they have turned this into something only the rich can afford. The right to self protection is for everyone. Only the Vermont system makes sense to me.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Cool CCW Classes

Where in Wadsworth? I have me CCW permit already but I know several folks who want theirs. I think ALL organizations holding classes should advertise. If money permits take out a good size ad in the paper (I know the Leakin Urinal would throw a fit if you did) or perhaps on local TV

KRobb

Have been an instructor for many years, NRA LE, TC, etc.

I get two questions--why are you so cheap? Why are you so expensive?

I guess it depends on where you stand. I see courses I teach for $50 a person advertised at $200 per head.

Instructing has never been a business to me, just something I like to do--doubt I will ever make up my original costs--so I try to make expenses to include travel and meals plus cost of materials used.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Moderator
    Same here...

50 bucks a pop...when others in the big city charge as much as 250.

Truth be known, having to pay 155 for a 4 year permit is crazy. Why not 10 bucks ? That would cover any administravtive fees. Since the state wants the FBI background check THEY ought to pay for it...

Assistant Administrator
    Forgot earlier to qualify the ''low price'' on the courses I teach - $40 - which I reckon is very good value!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

If you are interested in the class contact Roger Polk at LOPO24601@msn.com or call at 330-335-9205.

I wish to thank everyone here for their support. The class has been a terrific success and hopefully will continue to be. Classes are held on a Saturday at the Wadsworth Public Library, range time is on Sunday, held on Roger's property. Thanks again to everyone.

CCW Classes

Hask

Thank you for the info. i will pass it along to all interested parties.

KRobb

Links