Introduction to Defensive Shooting Class

This is a discussion on Introduction to Defensive Shooting Class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; just completed the class. I’m not as tired as I thought I’d be and my hands don’t hurt like I thought they would after firing ...

Thread: Introduction to Defensive Shooting Class

just completed the class. I’m not as tired as I thought I’d be and my hands don’t hurt like I thought they would after firing 300 rounds of .45 Cal. hardball.

There were 10 students and 2 instructors. The class ran from 2:30 to 8:30pm. We had about an hour of classroom and then went right to the range. The draw was our first exercise. We started out at 3 feet and drew; fired 2 shots and re-holstered. then moved back and drew and fired again. They took us back to 25 feet with that exercise. (Funny how your groups widen out as you move back!).

The class was worthwhile. I learned a lot. The draw is really what they really dwelled on. We were timed in one exercise. Draw and fire 1 round. My best time was .73 seconds. Not bad for the oldest guy there!!! (There were two better times than mine!!!).

One of the things I learned was that a 1911 style gun requires much more reloading than a Glock. (Most everybody was shooting a Glock 9mm or a .40.) I had 3 - 7round magazines and 2 – 9 round mags. I was constantly having to drop a mag and reload compared to the rest of the class. They all seemed to have 15 round mags~~! You carried 5 mags. One in the gun and 4 on your belt.

Another thing I learned is that my 1911 guns gave me trouble. Even tho I’m very familiar with their operation. At about 150 rounds, my Kimber Ultra CDP II ‘blew a rod’. The guide rod is broken and was sticking out about 2 inches. Fortunately, I had my Colt Commander as a backup. I had to change out all the mags and begin anew with the Colt. Now, I’ve had this gun for over 10 years and have fired several hundred rounds through it but I had two ‘hangups’ with the gun during the rest of the course!!! One ‘stovepipe’ and one ‘fail to feed’. NOBODY ELSE IN THE CLASS HAD THOSE PROBLEMS!!!!! I handled the situations but it gives me ‘pause’ about my guns!!!! One thing I probably need to change out is the magazines. They’re Pachmeyer and I should be using Wilson Combat mags. I’m convinced that the hangups were caused by the mags --- not the pistol.

We had one 10 minute break during the whole class!!! They really keep you moving, firing, reloading and doing the next stage!! During that break, I talked with Patricia Stoneking – the gal who puts on all these shooting classes. She is quite a shooter and instructor!!! A real “redneck girl”!! She said that in ‘gun circles’, the 1911 is known as the King of Combat as well as the King of Malfunctions!!!! (Maybe I need to change my thinking about the 1911 pistol???).

After the two malfunctions, the pistol ran fine for the rest of the course. Because the Commander is a 4” gun and I’m very familiar with it, I shoot it better. My groups got better as the course went on. It was really a lot of fun!!! I was very impressed with 3 or 4 young guys there. They’re fast as hell and can group their shots nicely. We had two stages where we had to use ‘cover’ and had 3 “bad guys” we had to kill. You had to move to cover thru several different positions and shoot on the move. A headshot from 25 feet was what you needed to do with one of the ‘bad guys’. Another was a ‘hostage situation’ and you didn’t have much of the ‘bad guy’ exposed. Being able to place a shot was important in that exercise. Those young guys did it very nicely. (I did too – but not nearly as fast).

All in all, a good experience. I’m going to take the Kimber back to the dealer in the morning. Obviously, it’s going to have to go back to the factory to be repaired. I’m going to consider purchasing a Sig or a Glock or something other than a 1911 to carry!!! I’ll bet some of you are very surprised at that admission!!!!!

Regards,

PVR
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Me Too!

I’m Glad you had a good time. I think I was in the class with you. I was the guy with the Springfield XD40 on the far left end of the firing line. It had no malfunctions what’s so ever. I was pretty happy with it since that was the most rounds I’ve put through it at one time without cleaning it.

Patricia Stoneking of Target Masters Academy puts on a pretty good class. This class was my first shooting skills class since I got my CCH.

I plan on joining the Practical Shooters Club she organized in the coming month. I can’t wait to sign up for the Advance Defensive Shooting Class. Maybe I’ll see you there.

Keep Shooting,
    John
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

"Now, I’ve had this gun for over 10 years and have fired several hundred rounds through it but I had two ‘hangups’ with the gun during the rest of the course!!!"

Desperado...Ten years and fired several hundred rounds? You and that pistol don't even know each other! It's imperative that you are completely intimate with your defensive weapon and have thoroughly tested it's dependability before either carrying it or training with it. That entails thousands of rounds, and a regular practice schedule. Glad you had fun and learned a lot!
    Tracy
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Congratulations, sounds like you dun good and had fun too!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sounds like a great time, be glad you learned about your problems in that enviorment and not when it counts. I sure wish we had something like this in our area!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Sounds like a good class.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

John ---- were you the tall guy standing to my right?? (I was second from the end on the far right side of the line). If so, I admired your skill!!

See you at the Practical Shooters Club this Sunday??

PVR

A follow up to my earlier post:

The gun shop very graciously solved my 'blown rod' problem with the Kimber, Ultra CDP II. They simply exchanged the broken assembly with a new one out of one of their stock pistols. Great service!!
    I now have a feeling of dread as to whether the problem will occur again! After inspecting the Kimber method of attaching the rod to the guide rod head, (where it failed), I have a lack of confidence!! That appears to be a real weak spot in an otherwise finely built pistol!!
    Has anyone else had the same experience with a Kimber pistol?? (This probably is not the correct 'chat room' to pose that questiion --- I trust the moderator to move my post to the proper place, if necessary).
    Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Good info and glad you enjoyed it.

Comments by the instructors I've had (Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez) about 1911s track my experience and perhaps yours (don't know those models, so I can't judge).

In each class I took, those with short (<5") bbls all had failures of some sort. Those with aftermarket fancy recoil rods also had failures even on the 5" gun.

I shot a S&W 1911 in all but my first class and the RecoilMaster system I had installed fractured. Gun sometimes didn't go into battery. It was a PITA, but the palm of the hand did the trick each time. After the course, when I went to clean it (after ~800 rds), I found the problem. Reinstalled the factory rod and never looked back. 3-5K rounds later, no problems.

Another friend had his RecoilMaster rod fly out the gun and land ~5' in front of him during a class.

It's witnessing the failures that convinced me to stick with the full size 1911 for CCW and not consider buying a shorter (more easily concealable) model.

I fondly remember my first tac class...I felt that I was pretty goodon the way there. Maybe half way thru, I realized how much I didn't know. I remember that evening...I knew that I had awoke a sleeping giant. Many classes later, I am still learning and still shooting. Good luck on your journey.

And no I have never heard of those Kimber problems, but I will say that type experience kinda makes your confidence in your weapon shakey.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Links