Getting started with IDPA? WA state

This is a discussion on Getting started with IDPA? WA state within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a fairly new shooter and was wondering if there are classes or training in the greater Seattle-Tacoma WA area or do you get ...

Thread: Getting started with IDPA? WA state

I am a fairly new shooter and was wondering if there are classes or training in the greater Seattle-Tacoma WA area or do you get started by going to a match?

I know of several places that hold the matches just not sure about my first step.

Thanks in advance.
    Charly

Call one of your local clubs and see what their procedure is. They may have a requirement that you take an orientation class, or they may just have you come watch a match. If they invite you to participate, jump right in! Just go slow, ask questions and follow the SOs directions carefully.

You can download the rule book from IDPA.com so you can get an idea of what the courses will be like, what the overall procedure is, and what range commands to expect.

If in doubt, follow the 4 rules. If you get flustered keep that muzzle downrange and keep your booger-hook off the bang switch.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Joe

Wa Idpa

There are many clubs around Sea-Tac that run IDPA. Black Diamond is most Thursday nights, Renton is Saturday mornings and sometimes a practice session on Wednesday nights, Cascade just started a program, I don't know details. All are very friendly folks. There are many others as well.

I suggest just showing up at a place you already like and checking them out. Might try a few places to see which group is a good fit for you. Have fun.

[EDIT] Any good PD/SD training will benefit IDPA shooting. Firearm Academy of Seattle (FAS) is my favorite.

-Paul
    Last edited by PaulBk; February 10th, 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added training
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

G&G
    I go to the Marksman on Canyon Rd on Tuesday nights.

The Marksman
    11003 Canyon Road E.
    Puyallup, WA 98373
    Store Directory / Hours : The Marksman - Where the Professionals Train
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

IDPA Question

I am new to this forum and find it so extensive its difficult to return to a thread I had previously read. But here goes with a question about IDPA. I want to begin participating in IDPA and SCSA. With my new gun at rest on a bench, I can shoot 2 or 3 rounds fairly accurately at a 20 yard target, then 1 round will be no where near my target. That has happend to me with my current pistol and the other pistol I just returned to the store. Can the cheap ammo (Winchester 9mm 115 gr.) that I am using be responsible for an occasional round flying completely off the paper target?

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbb View Post
    But here goes with a question about IDPA. I want to begin participating in IDPA and SCSA. With my new gun at rest on a bench, I can shoot 2 or 3 rounds fairly accurately at a 20 yard target, then 1 round will be no where near my target. That has happend to me with my current pistol and the other pistol I just returned to the store. Can the cheap ammo (Winchester 9mm 115 gr.) that I am using be responsible for an occasional round flying completely off the paper target?
    I can't imagine any handgun/ammo combination could be that inconsistent, but don't worry about how good or how bad your accuracy is. IDPA involves shooting while moving (sometimes), and ranges usually varying from 3 to 30 feet. Just go have some fun!

(You may already know this, but if you turn on instant email notification in your User CP, you can easily return to threads in which you have posted.)

Paul, I doubt that it's the pistol's fault. The fact that there was more than one gun involved would seem to support that thought. I would advise you to take NRA basic pistol, or at least find a good range coach (The IDPA match might be a good place for that).

And no, most IDPA clubs don't have a class that you need to attend. They will have a safety brief and some rudimentary instruction before the match. Make sure you tell the safety officers running the stages that you are new to the sport!

If you are new to handguns in general, you might want to wait before hitting your first match. You need to be able to draw and reholster safely, reload safely, have a firm foundation in the mechanics of your pistol, and be able to move with a hot gun without killing anyone. If you go without these basics figured out, you may get DQed and never come back! (I've seen it happen).

HK Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Thank you for sharing your ideas and information

Charly

Sponsored Links