Defensive Carry banner

Point shooting???

4K views 33 replies 28 participants last post by  TerryD 
#1 ·
Well yesturday I tried point shooting (shooting without actually lining up the sights and aiming) or I think that what its called. Not as easy as it looks in the movies... I tried bringing the gun up from about waist height and squeezing off a round as fast as possible. I was fast but not exactly accurate:redface: Tips or pointers???

#29 ·
As others have said practice, practice. And I have found that point shooting works well for me...but only at at 5 or 6 ft. I personally want to know where that round is going.

#33 ·
Don’t expect to be accurate or fast at first

Certainly makes sense without formal instruction.

Under the watchful guidance of a threat focused trainer, students in classes are proving they are both accurate and fast in the first 30 minutes from 9 feet in, and within another hour, they can place all their rounds rapid fire into an 8" circle from 12 feet, from the hip, just as soon as the gun has cleared the holster.

Does anyone use laser sights?

No---they are too slow once you have true threat focused skills in your bag of tricks. However, many find they are very good for training the eye/hand coordination skills necessary to be truly threat focused.

Brownie

#34 ·
Just lots of practice really. I was taught in the Army to start shooting as soon as you clear your holster. By the time my pistol is up high enough to use the sights I am already reloading.

I use sights on a rifle, not a pistol. In most situations if the BG was far enough away that I had to use the sights, I would just try and create more distance between us, and let him get closer to point shooting distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.