Point shooting???

This is a discussion on Point shooting??? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well yesturday I tried point shooting (shooting without actually lining up the sights and aiming) or I think that what its called. Not as easy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Point shooting???

Unhappy Point shooting???

Well yesturday I tried point shooting (shooting without actually lining up the sights and aiming) or I think that what its called. Not as easy as it looks in the movies... I tried bringing the gun up from about waist height and squeezing off a round as fast as possible. I was fast but not exactly accurate Tips or pointers???

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Its not going to be terribly accurate until you get good at it... even then, its combat accurate, not bullseye.
    The biggest mistake I see people make is putting to much thought or effort into it. It just isnt that difficult. Since you were a baby, you have pointed at things... this is all your doing here. Just point. Dont worry about speed, that comes later.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its not going to be terribly accurate until you get good at it... even then, its combat accurate, not bullseye.
    The biggest mistake I see people make is putting to much thought or effort into it. It just isnt that difficult. Since you were a baby, you have pointed at things... this is all your doing here. Just point. Dont worry about speed, that comes later.
    ...and thus the importance of practic, muscle memory, along with a sidearm that you feel comfortable with...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Only takes microseconds to bring it up and get a flash sight picture. Look over the gun, up higher gives you more ability to act like you're pointing your finger, which can be quite accurate.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Moderator
    As noted,point shooting can be very fast, and when it practiced, almost a natural action without conscious thought.

The key here is practice.

You can start by making your whole body work for you, instead of against you.

Use a blank 8" by 10" sheet of paper at 7 yards.
    Put your feet should width apart and square your body with the target.
    With the gun in a two hand hold, in the ready position, raise both arms and fire at the target.

Bring the gun up about eye level, and looking over the gun, use your arms as a pointer.With your feet at shoulder width apart, and your arms forming a triangle, use the point of the triangle(your arms) as the aiming reference for the target.

Its much easier to do than to type.

You may find that after several shots, your group is shooting to the left or too the right. You can adjust this by adjusting your left or right foot, moving it either forward or backward, basically you are just centering up the tip of the triangle. If you are shooting high or low, just adjust accordingly.

The key is too start slow, and not rush yourself. When your groups are becoming centered on the paper, then and only then can you speed up.

Its all about practice. Eventually, you will get to the point that you can draw and fire and be on target very quickly.

Point shooting works at normal combat distances and is very effective.In a real combat situation, if you take the time to get a proper sight picture,as you would if you were shooting a target, and the BG happens to be proficient in point shooting, you will lose every time. Past what are considered normal combat distances,you need to start using the sights for more accurate fire.

It takes alot of practice to master, but anyone that is coordinated enough to drive a car should be able to do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HotGuns pretty much said it. When I practice I use a paper plate at chest height, roughly COM, and then practice draws with firing single shots, and work into double taps. It'll get better the more you practice. Different guns are also easier to point shoot as well. At first if you aren't used to it, just try quickly acquiring your front sight and placing it on the target and squeeze that round off. Don't worry about the back sights at all. Pretty soon you will notice the ability to sight down the length of your gun and point with your arms will become much easier. Hope this helps.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Very important in low light situations, like home defense.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

So I guess this is where an airsoft pistol would help??

Senior Moderator
    That would work. It would be a start, but still not a substitution for the gun you carry.

That way you could point shoot anything and everything without tearing it up.
    Be sure to wear your safety glasses.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I do a lot of this for the closer range targets in IDPA. Heck. I'm better at point shooting the closer to midrange targets than I am aiming at the farther ones. LOL

the best thing I did to help me point shoot was to have the rear sight removed. had to have a plate made to replace the sight but works fine.. like every one said it takes a lot of practice

Sponsor
    was fast but not exactly accurate Tips or pointers???

fernset;

If you would like to learn how to "point shoot" or be proficient in threat focused skills, you would be well advised to take a professional course in this endeavor from one of several well known threat focused instructors around the country.

You can learn a lot in a day or two with the right instructor.

The biggest mistake I see people make is putting to much thought or effort into it.

SIXTO,

I see this all the time, and students recant the same thing often enough in the classes in their after action reviews. One of my students, and LE firearms trainer for a 1400+ man dept stated this in his review:

"The night before, I was picking Brownie's brain, writing notes as to the physics and engineering behind QK...this would be problematic on day 2...and be to my detriment the first few hours of shooting."

Many people try to over think it, and get sidetracked/delayed in their learning curve because of it.

fernset;

This forum link has innumerable information on threat focused skills. Have a look around at your convenience, and if you have any questions later, feel free to pm or email me.

Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

GPS
    The best advice is to keep your eyes focused on what you want to hit. Just as you would point a finger in the direction you are looking, your gun will tend to aim at where your eye is focused. At close distances, 2 to 6 yards, you should be almost able to shoot the center out of a silhouette target.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

Be verrrrry careful when using techniques like that.... Over the years the debate has raged over aimed vs. unaimed fire, in my opinion the ultimate cure for it is practice, practice, practice. I personally take aimed shots at any distance - my draws and fires are fast enough now that I can call almost any shot I make, simply because the sights superimpose over the target when I pull the trigger. The only point shooting I will ever do is if someone is at arms length, shooting one handed. I can draw and fire from concealment, hitting targets from 7 to 25 yards in 1.4 seconds consistently. If a BG can beat that, I welcome him to go ahead and try.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    practice, practice, practice.
    there ya have it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links