Clearing a room and the thickness of a wall

This is a discussion on Clearing a room and the thickness of a wall within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was watching Personal Defense TV and they were showing some room clearing tactics. Although they showed safe techniques, what if a BG is shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearing a room and the thickness of a wall

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was watching Personal Defense TV and they were showing some room clearing tactics. Although they showed safe techniques, what if a BG is shooting ball ammo, and he sees you open a door? Why wouldn't he just open fire and shoot through the dry wall? The bullets would penetrate and could hit you. Seems like clearing a house with dry wall throughout is a very dangerous endeavor.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

good point andsomething to think about. don't have the outdoor channel yet
    (but soon)so right now can't watch pdtv. heard about some good shows
    though.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Senior Moderator
    Another reason not to try and solo clear your house (or anyone else's house).
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

People don't understand between consealment and cover. Standing behind sheetrock wall consealment, standing behind bulletproof glass cover. Took severals classses on Bail Enforcement. After getting the BG you have to watch the rest of the family too. The wife/girlfriend who gets smacked around from her man will jump on your back beacuse you are taking her man. Also you have to watch were you place the BG in his own home, because he knows where the sharp things are or the things go bang are hidden.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Cover and concealment is key. And like stated, a good reason not to solo clear a house. I was watching season 4 episode 16 of "24"...Jack is fighting a terrorist posing as an FBI agent. The terrorist takes a shot, then takes cover behind a wall. Jack shoots 3 shots spread horizontally that go through the drywall and kill her. Fictional, but a good example of what could happen should you mistake concealment for cover when the other guy knows better.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Seems like clearing a house with dry wall throughout is a very dangerous endeavor.
    A good portion of the time that I spent as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children was spent in training for and teaching urban warfare techniques. I'm here to tell you, clearing any house is a very dangerous endeavor. More so if you're alone.

The rule is our house is we don't clear the house. Cover vs. Concealment is the reason. If the BG is downstairs, 20 year old son and dad arm with shotguns and take overwatch of stairs; mom and 14 year old go to master bath with phone. Call 911 and wait for police.

If someone comes home to open door, broken window, back away from the house with weapon in hand if you have one. At safe distance, call 911; wait for police.

WE DON'T CLEAR THE HOUSE.
    When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion. - C. P. Snow

The only time I would attempt a solo house clearing is if other family members are not in the same room as my self. And I had to get to them.

I have had training in house clearing. Talk about getting your BP up, and they where only simulations.

An educational video. Basic Urban Skills Training - Concealment does NOT equal Cover
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Think about this:

You come home, your front door is kicked in and your twelve year old daughter is upstairs screaming bloody murder.

Would I wait for the police? No.

Is my house going to get cleared? Yes.

Even though we say it is a bad idea and we should wait for the police there may be a time when you will decide not to wait.

Will you clear slowly and methodically - like thay show on PDTV - or will you use speed, surprise and violence of action to close the diastance between you and your loved one?

You might want to consider it now; or you can wait until you are faced with this and then you have the rest of your loved one's life to think about it.

Understand this: In a modern house made of wood their is almost no cover, only concealment. Why not shoot through the wall? Because you may hit someone you love. Another reason not to is target discrimination - Be sure it is a bad guy before you shoot.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

VIP Member
    Good points, all. And it doesn't have to be ball ammo, either; most JHPs will glide right through sheet rock/dry wall as well.

One of the stronger points in wood frame houses is the area right around the doors - there will be at least a few 2"x4"s there in the frame. Still not enough to stop most rounds, but slightly better than sheet rock if you've got no other choice.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Cover and concealment...you know the house better then they do. Use your sences (stop & listen for anything, look for movement such as shadows etc.)
    If using a flashlight ... shine and move. Some good tactical training will do wonders. Good luck.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

We've always had a plan for fires, home intrusion-invasion and natural disaster.
    Now that the kids are all grown up and out the house and our geographical
    location has changed, so has the plan. But establishing a safe room if your inside the home in the event of intruder(s) and calling PD. has always been part of the plan. A room by room is to be avoided unless it's unavoidable such as in a circumstance as described by Troy Price.
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And the bottom line: you would "clear" your home with the express purpose of killing the intruder. Happy talk of citizens' arrest, etc., etc., aside, we have neither the authority nor ability to effectively apprehend and detain a criminal.

In a NOLA-style situation, yeah, I could justify doing that. Reasonably, you couldn't afford to leave a predator familiar with your home on the loose. In pretty much any other context, it isn't a justifiable exercise.

all walls are not equal, even in my rental I have modified walls to create cover - Master bedroom especially.

this gives us a safe place to wait, as well as protect ourselves if need be.

most things in a house are just concealment

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Seems like clearing a house with dry wall throughout is a very dangerous endeavor.

Clearing a House is a VERY, EXTREMELY Dangerous endeavor. 9mm ball and most Hollow points can peneatrate several walls of Dry wall quite easily. They can peneatrate 2x8 oak planks.

Don't clear your house by your self, don't clear your house with your friends. Let the Police and those trained in House clearing clear it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links