What sort of shape are you in?

This is a discussion on What sort of shape are you in? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good defense comes in layers. I'm pretty sure we could all agree on that. I think the first layer is situational awarness, and the last ...

View Poll Results: What kind of physical condition are you in?

Voters
250. You may not vote on this poll
  • Totally out of shape/disabled

49 19.60%
  • Im in fine shape if I say so myself

62 24.80%
  • Not in great shape, but Not really out of shape either.

139 55.60%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What sort of shape are you in?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

What sort of shape are you in?

Good defense comes in layers. I'm pretty sure we could all agree on that. I think the first layer is situational awarness, and the last layer is your firearm. In between somewhere lies the question of how good of physical condition you are in, as I feel it is a vital aspect to personal security. Just curious, i'll be honest i'm 6' 3" 210 lbs. Not in fantastic shape by anymeans, but I wouldn't want to fight me either.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Round is a shape right?I broke my neck 5 years ago, can't stand for long times and walk with a cane with difficulty,but as far as weight i'm in better shape than most guys my age 50,when i was healthy i was in great shape size 32 waist now it's 36
    Last edited by dukalmighty; March 7th, 2008 at 05:19 AM.

agreed, your level of physical fitness is very important. Some obvious reasons are: being healthier, stronger, and more effective in a fight. Also, the better your level of PF, the higher your "deterrent factor" and the less likely you are to be chosen in the first place.

for the record, I'm 5'10" and 175-180 lbs. (depending on whether I'm working out like I should or not )
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Im the all-star at fat camp...lol
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Today we carried 40+ pound backpacks 12 miles up and down ridges and valleys in some snow out of the Olympic Mtns of WA. 5 1/2 hours not great but also not bad for a couple of 62 year olds.

Yesterday we carried those packs in and camped in 26 deg weather overnight.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

"Im not as good as I once was but Im as good once as I ever was" comes to mind,
    Age and wounds have taken their toll on this old man, sad but I suppose I could run 500 meters tops if I was being chased down by a guy with a chainsaw,
    Sad but true, wife married a handsome young buck tough as nails, now she has an old crippled has been, worse than that shes got one who is too stupid to know he is not a young buck anymore. (we put in a driveway 2 years ago, I was like no problem 8 tons of dirt I can move that by hand,,,,,,, kids moved more than I did,,,, yes IM officially old now)

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I'm 22 and in GREAT shape. Hopefully I can keep it that way.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Yea, I loved running when I was younger, but I grew too big and am just not meant for it, so I hike twice a week with a 35lb pack and hit the gym twice a week. Keeps me in decent shape. I'd probally be 260+ the way I eat if I didn't excercise.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Hitting middle age.

I'm hitting middle age and my misspent youth is catching up with me. Arthritis in my back and knees, I'm slowly accumulating a spare tire between my six-pack abs and my belt.

My biggest decline is endurance. The arthrtis in my knees makes it hard to push more than a mile at a time, the back makes it hard to spend much time at a weight bench.

I've stolen a line from my Dr. When I went in to take a physical for a new job that would have me leaving the country and totin' a gun again (didn't pan out, wife got pregnant), he said "You're not nineteen and bulletproof anymore".

I've spent most of the last year witha cast on my right foot and on crutches. Surgery on it mid jan., So in the last year my muscle turned into taco bell. I'm 6'3" and 230 and still not that bad. I know I'm thru running, plus if they catch you, your tired! The farthest i'm running is to the closest cover. I have a gun and a truck.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I marked not in great shape but probably more in the totally out of shape. I used to be in pretty good shape, I've always been overweight (quite a bit) but used to be in better shape than lots of my friends (middle-school I popped my knee leg pressing over 300lbs so I was strong). I mountain biked a lot and paint balled twice a week. Once that got too expensive I mostly played video games . Unfortunately everything I try doesn't work, so far it might be working better trying nothing at all, we'll see next time I'm home and can jump on the scale.

I've always worked hard too though. Worked at a building materials store for a while, it wasn't unusual to unload several -and I mean several- thousand pounds of bagged concrete and/or cement by hand by myself. Granted it took a while. Then I worked temp jobs, normally with a trucking company, stocking gas stations so not real heavy work but you'd be surprised how heavy Gatorade gets going up and down ramps, particularly when you stack that dolly past the grips -

It's been on my to-do list. I'd love to go military after school. But now the store and trucking has taken it's toll on my back (real bad being I'm not even 21 yet) coupled by cheap habits (sleep on a $40 craigslist mattress on the floor ), bad habits (not exercising) and work habits (work at my desk on my computer all day, then browse forums, only relief comes laying on the couch to watch TV ).

EDIT: Oh and we got hit pretty good several years back, rear-ended stopped, he was probably going 40-45. I always ignore that because I still consider myself invincible. But I guess that could have an effect on my back. Been meaning to see the chiropractor since my dad's insurance will cover 20 visits a year in full =D but, well, I'm lazy.
    Last edited by Volodymyr; March 7th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

As my chiropracter puts it at my once a month visit. "I luv you guys from the 80's - your my bread & butter. Just tell everbody your old & busted"

.......Or as I like to quote Indiana Jones when I say "It's not the age sweetheart.....it's the mileage."

Well "old" is debatable at 38. But "busted" sure seems to sum it up. The bad snowmobile accident I had at 20 is catching up & 2 knee operations later..... put all the years I put in in dirt biking with VERY poor suspention, not to mention at 6'05" always being the biggest guy in the room - "hey you can help move this piano"......well you get the idea.

PAIN+ARTHRITIS+POOR DIET+STRESS+COUCH POTATO = when the zombies come........please let them be the SLOW kind......."dunlop desease" has set in.

On the + side watching the old diet and getting more exercise I've managed to drop approx 35lbs since Nov. and plan to go 50+ more if I survive the "die" in diet.

now I need more coffee.....
    XD9sc w/CT Laser Grip
    SIGSauer P226SCT (New! w/22lr Conversion)
    S&W 5906
    BERETTA 92FS
    BERSA T380 - RUGER Single Six .22

I voted not in great but not out of either...At 46 I could easily slob out if I wanted to. I refuse...I pack a 25lb ruck 3 miles a day and I also work outside. Which in MS means I sweat...a lot I skateboarded for many years which is really a double edged sword. It kept me in shape but I dislocated and elbow and tweaked one of my knees pretty good. I can't really run due to the knee so I carry the ruck instead. It's hardest for me to stay motivated during the holidays.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

VIP Member
    Worst shape I've ever been in my life, which puts me about average, I suppose. Twenty months of churrasco and caipirinhas (BBQ and sugary booze) has taken its toll, but I'm PT-ing hard right now since I head back to Iraq in a few months. By the time I hit the IZ, I should be back in fighting shape (which, as I turn 37 today, still isn't quite 20 year old Ranger shape, but it ain't that bad...)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

6'3" 270 recently lost 15 + lbs. about 12 years ago i was 220. 8% body fat. 8 years of investigator work and desk work have not been kind to me. However, there are a lot of guys my age, who I know I am in a lot better shape than. I am still pretty strong. I pack it all on a pretty big thick frame and most are sufficiently surprised when I tell them my weight. My size and "room presence" have kept me out of more fights than they have got me in to. I am on a kick of getting back in to shape since I lost weight. I agree that being in shape is a def. plus to self defense armed or not.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links