Attention all Women...advice needed

This is a discussion on Attention all Women...advice needed within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, after all of these years of talk amongst our club members,and after lots of encouragement from various women, I am finally making it happen. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Well, after all of these years of talk amongst our club members,and after lots of encouragement from various women, I am finally making it happen.

We are going to offer our first WOMENS ONLY Concealed Handgun Class.

I keep on hearing from lots of woman that they are not interested in attending a class with lots of men, but they would if it was just for woman so we are going to make that happen.

I am tailoring this class to specifically meet the needs of women.

I think that we will cut back the technical details of firearms that women don't really care about and instead spend more time with the actual function of the gun that they want to carry.

Also, I have enough instructors, that I intend to offer individualized instruction for each person...with NO time constraints...no pressure.

We'll probably spend more time on the LAW than we usually do and really hammer various scenarios that they could find themselves in.

So...for you woman shooters out there...

Can you tell me what you liked,disliked about your concealed class ?
    How you would do it differently if you could do it over?

If this works out as well as I think it will, we intend to offer more classes in the future. I just posted it yesterday and I've already got over 50 interested woman, and I haven't even advertised yet...that was just word of mouth.

Any comments or advice will be appreciated. So lets hear it...I am all ears...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Being raised in a all boys family with four brothers;

Hmm..my first instinct what what the heck?! But thats just the way I am raised. And making an all female class, well it has its ups and downs..We all know what happends when more then three females comes together. Besides,when attending a mixed class there is more to look at..

In fact, I would attend a mixed class,even if I had to pay more..All female would just become bs but am sure you will find someone that will pay more attention.
    It will sure take more effort from the instructors to maintain a high level.

Sorry for not being more helpful..
    Last edited by Scott; March 8th, 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: language workaround

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Second Amendment Sisters (SAS) runs women-only shoots, classes, etc.

Many women don't want to be around men when they learn or shoot, it gives them a different comfort level. Some may have had "bad life experiences" (e.g. spousal abuse, rape, attacked, etc.) that drives those feelings.

Seems to work well for at least some women.

One of my gun clubs ran a women-only class and the 15 women who took it last year really liked it (my Wife was amongst them). We're doing it again this year and expect similar results.

Meanwhile, my Wife started shooting with SAS and after a while told me that she prefers to shoot with me and wants nothing to do with SAS. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just happy she is doing some shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    Have a great day- at the range.
    + 1

One thing I always hear is that women are generally easier to instruct because they don't typically have the 'know it all' attitude of guys with guns.

One thing you may want to cover is specific carry options for women. As has been mentioned in a couple of other threads here, the difference in body type makes some of the concealed carry options designed for me fairly uncomfortable, if not impossible, for women.

-JT

would have been interested in a women's only class

My chp class was mixed. It was ok. Men talk too much..that might be the chest thumping, feather fanning mating ritual...

I really liked the discussion of the law, situations, etc.

I was comfortable and familiar with a variety of weapons before I took the class but noticed other women seemed tentative with the mechanical workings...perhaps extra time to get comfortable with that. And a little compassion..it takes more umph than you think to rack the slide the first time.

I would have loved more individual instruction on the range.

just my thoughts as a woman who took a mixed class.

Senior Moderator
    concealed carry options...
    extra time and compassion...
    more individualized instruction...

noted.

Thanks for the comments. I plan to do that.
    Also, I am thinking about having one of our woman state troopers teach the "law" part of the class as an added touch.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I didn't have to take a concealed carry class to get my permit here in PA, but I did take a basic pistol course when I first started shooting. No concealed carry topics were covered, as I was living in the Peoples Republic of Illinios at the time.

I think having an all women class, taught by women would be GREAT!! I thought in my basic pistol class there was just too much male ego. The last person I want to be around with a gun is a newbie guy with an ego. I did fine, held my own in a mixed class, but would have preferred a women only.

Having a womens only class would offer more detailed instruction geared towards women. For example, many women have trouble racking the slide. Maybe techniques can be shared to make it easier for women to do this.

Holsters are another big issue for women.

Scenarios too. I think touching on the mental/emotional side of self defense is another issue that women would have different views on, especially those that have or are battered or have been raped, etc. Those situations, even memories require a little more delicacy in the delivery of the instruction.

That would be great to have the female trooper come in and talk law as well. She would bring some empowerment.

CC isn't just for guys, and that fact needs to be advertised! I think those men who can't seem to leave their ego and testosterone at the door, turn many women off to cc. Having an all female class is a good thing!

Wish there was one up here!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Senior Moderator
    Thanks Bluedaisy...
    at the moment we are "working" on getting some female instructors certified but its really a long drawn out process that takes several months. Hopefully, if this class goes well, we have some female instructors for the next one.

Thats a good point on battered woman. I hadn't thought about that, but that my be a good topic to cover and how the law deals with that.

I'll have 3 other Instructors besides myself, helping to teach various segments of the class. I am going to hand pick those that display less "testosterone" than other. I do understand that that can be counterproductive in a class.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    You might want to contact the following two orgs to see if they know of any all-female training in your areas:

Second Amendment Sisters:
    Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. - National Website
    State Sites - Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. - US Map with links to any of their state chapters. Some are much more active than others, and some may not even exist.

Pennsylvania Chapter, Second Amendment Sisters, Inc. - PA Chapter info. [Sorry it looks like the AR Chapter is non-existent from the website info.]

AWARE (Arming Women Against Rape & Endangerment)
    We are AWARE - Shows only MA activities, but contact them and ask if they know of any similar activities in your state. The founder of AWARE was a fellow co-worker of mine back when she stated it. IIRC she now lives in FL, but I have no idea if there are any sub-chapters in other states.

Also, be aware (no pun intended) that NRA courses are NOT focused on self-defense, only on gun safety and hunting. They do have two new courses focused on "Personal Protection" so maybe that is changing is some small way.

NOTE: I do find at least one "women only" course being listed here for PA
    Find A Local NRA Safety Course

Senior Moderator
    Thank LenS.

I checked and we dont have a state chapter here.

I am an NRA Instructor is several disciplines.The "Personal Protection Outside the Home" is the one that is geared toward concealed carry.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Yes, thank you

My thanks too, LenS. Now that I carry full time, I want to take as many courses as possible. Maybe someday teach! So, I really appreciate all the info on PA classes.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

HotGuns: My daughter just completed her Kansas CCH class today with the live fire portion. If Arkansas requires a live fire portion to the testing, the one thing I might suggest is to set up a weekend before the testing where you offer to meet anyone so inclined at a local range and give them some free instruction (they pay any range/ammo fees). I had taken my daughter out prior to this and worked with her and she did quite well on her live fire testing but one of the ladies actually failed her test on the first go-around shooting a 22LR semi-auto pistol. I overheard her say that this was only her second time shooting and you could tell she was not very comfortable with it. I'm sure there are several women who in the need to be able to protect themselves are purchasing their first handgun and it would be a nice thing to add to your class to offer a little private instruction before the testing portion of the class.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    Hoss...
    Thats part of it. If you cant pass the live fire test, then we will work with you until you can.
    Not only will you satisfy the requirements, but more importantly you will satisfy yourself.

To be truthful, it doesnt make sense to pass someone on the live fire part and call it good if they arent comfortable with the whole process. That is what I dont want.

If it takes till Midnight to get someone comfortable, than that is what I will do. IF they need to come back another day and try again,we will.

No pressure, no time constraints.

Its a fact that many people nowadays have never fired a gun until they decide to get a permit. We will work through that.

I have been holding "begginers" live firing sessions at every class, separate and apart from the seasoned shooters using the same prinicipals. Its been working very well.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

As a female, instructing CCW classes, a couple tidbits....although you've had a very nice response here so far.

Keep the instruction of the inner mechanical workings of the firearm to a minimum. Me included, you might as well be talking about transmissions. Ladies don't care about that, they just want to know how to make it go bang.

Same with all the ammo information that the NRA wants us to teach. Show them the difference, talk about defensive rounds, but skip all the ballistic technical stuff. Shoot a couple milk jugs full of water, with a ball type ammo and then a defensive round during the range time. No one ever understands the difference until you can show them the difference.

Holster selection is a biggie. If at all possible, have a lady who has carried for quite some time, come in and cover that. I finally had to tell my male co-instructor to please let me tell the ladies how to carry. He had a tendency to right off the bat, tell the ladies that it is much harder for them to carry than it is for the guys. That is absolutely not the truth. And you never want to start off that converstation with a negative statement. Please, show them a holster purse and then please tell them why that is not an ideal way to carry (bad guy grabs purse, now BG has your gun). I am a big advocate for on your body carry.

Dressing around the gun is a biggie.

Gun selection. That's HUGE. Hopefully you will have lots of different guns, in many different calibers for them to shoot. They will find out that the .38 snubbie that the man in their life kept pushing on them, is not the gun for them. Also, point out to them, selecting a firearm is a personal decision just like picking out shoes. It is not their husbands or boyfriends, not the gun counter guys decision, but a very personal decision.

Reassure them at the beginning of the class that the only dumb guestion is the guestion that is never asked.

More range time is always appreciated by students. I don't know what the training requirements are for your state, but no one ever said that much of the classroom time couldn't be taught at the range.

Make sure in the morning of the class, you go around the room and let everyone introduce themselves and tell why it is they decided to be there that day. There are multi layered reasons for doing this. 1) it breaks the ice, puts people at ease quicker 2) everyone can put a name to each other and it will make for conversation amongst the students during breaks 3) if you have crime victims in the class, this is likely when it will come out 4) you'll probably be able to figure out quickly if they are willingly there or did a husband insist they attend 5)I always enjoy hearing their stories

Nice touch on having a female trooper present the law, as long as the officer actually "knows" the laws. I am in no way slamming LEO's here, but many don't know all the laws to concealed carry.

Do a nice mindset portion to the class, late in the day. Don't do it in the morning. That is something that has to be worked up to, especially with ladies. Throw tidbits of mindset in throughout the day, but never start the class off in the AM about having to kill someone. It's a process to be worked up to.

This is great that you've gotten so much interest in the class already. Please let me in on your secret. We've tried twice to do an all women's class, with very little interest.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links