Step-daughter keenness.

This is a discussion on Step-daughter keenness. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Guess this fits in here OK. Yesterday - I was extraordinarily pleased, when my step daughter (she of Concealed Carry Magazine cover fame !!! HERE ...

Thread: Step-daughter keenness.

Assistant Administrator

Step-daughter keenness.

Guess this fits in here OK.

Yesterday - I was extraordinarily pleased, when my step daughter (she of Concealed Carry Magazine cover fame !!! HERE for thread) - mentioned appros pos nothing in particular - she wanted to go get some shooting and gun experience. Whoopeee!

She's never been any prob's re anti gun or anything but - never really felt she was all that interested. I did of course fit her up with gear for that cover pic but that was it.

I went thru the four rules and she was well able to remember that and recite same easily - we are in effect ready for a range trip. I am so, so pleased - way better than me suggesting it. I'll try and get her to range quite soon - as well as her Mom who needs snub practice.

She is 21 early next year and I have high hopes that by then I can set her up with something suitable for carry and feel easier with her able to take responsibility for her well-being. After of course, adequate training and practice.

She is wee little - only a bit over 5'2" IIRC and a mere 95# - but we'll get her sorted out. Plenty of .22 to get into the flow and then hopefully up to 38 and or 9mm. She is such a bright kid with a great head on her shoulders - totally different from my step-son!!

Not a big news item for y'all but - heck I am so delighted.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Good Deal nice to get someone to go shooting with ya

Congratulations!

My little girl is only 9 months old and I can only hope she'll want to go shooting with Dad some day. Of course she'll be getting unsolicited hunting trips into the woods with Dad until she is old enough to say no.

Assistant Administrator
    Start off young Joe and the rest should follow. That said - no pressures - just almost a casual (safe of course) now and again - so it's ''part of life'' - that should do well. That should set things up nicely.

Step-fatherhood is something I have found difficult over last 5 years - I love this girl as my own but - there is of course no genetic link and so I have always been a bit circumspect.

This is I think why I am so darned pleased - makes me feel even better bonded. I do worry about her and will be more than pleased if she can get to 21 with good gun handling and abilities and then get her CCW. I trust her implicitly.
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Chris,

Congrats man :) As word spreads amongst my group of friends, more and more people are asking for trips to the range :) Which earns a

hehe..

have a good night man :)

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

When my step-daughter was all of seven (I'd been her step dad for a year by then) I started her off by having her help me clean the guns when I got back from a day at the range. Every session started with a safety briefing, then careful disassembly while going over nomenclature and function. She was like a sponge!

When she was 10 she started shooting. I started her off on a Ruger 10/22 and then a Ruger Super Single Six SA. We determined right off, she didn't like the semis (too much stuff moving at once was how she put it. That's okay.

When she got married last year (WAAAAAAAAH MY LITTLE GIRL!!!) she took possession of "her" Ruger Sp101 .357magnum. I trained her, taught her tactics....I feel like I've helped set her feet on the path to freedom and equality and security. NOW all I have to do is to make sure hubby comes up to the standard SHE set!

I'm still going to miss "Science Fairs" and "Back to School Night (aka Open House)" and picking her up from school....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

All you guys with grown children, I still have a ways to go with 7,6 and 4 year olds running around my house.

BTW Chris, you kid is a looker!

My boys eyes got HUGE when I told them "Son(s), when you leave this house to go out on your own I will give you your own knife and gun to take with you". That left an impression!

As parents we need to prepare our kids for the world we live in. It is a huge undertaking and sometimes I feel overwhelmed. It's good to associate on forums like this one that has (for the most part) upstanding men and women that are still 'old school'.

Keep up the good work Chris and Ex, I like your stratedgy with the gun cleaning thing....I'm going to start that with my boys.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

QBall...

if you have a way to go to catch up...well then...I'm WAY behind the curve :)

LOL

--Jim

QBall...

if you have a way to go to catch up...well then...I'm WAY behind the curve :) Considering I gotta find the girl first... :)

LOL

--Jim

Nice going Chris, its good to have a member of the family as your backup. Now you do understand she is going to overtake you in the smarts department, they are quick so you will have to be on your toes about shooting. Best of luck to her in shooting your guns.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    Hehe Richard - I know she'll latch on real quick. She is a grade A student and quick to learn about anything. Next week hopefully we can fit something in, between her college and work etc.

I'll keep to lower cals tho initially - with her low body mass I reckon 9mm will be as far we need go eventually.

First - a LOT of .22's - and concommitant grins!
    Chris - P95

Chris, well she is very fortunate to have a blessed guy like you to help her through early stages of this shooting thing. I just know you will do a fine job in teaching her how to ride your bike also. he he
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    Cool. Always good to get more folks defending our 2nd ammend. rights. Pretty lady too!

Links