Cross Dominance, How Do You Deal W/IT?

This is a discussion on Cross Dominance, How Do You Deal W/IT? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm right handed & left eye dominant. I shoot shoulder arms left handed w/right eye open, just as you're supposed to, and do quite well. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm right handed & left eye dominant. I shoot shoulder arms left handed w/right eye open, just as you're supposed to, and do quite well. I've shot shoulder arms that way all my life.

Prior to receiving my CCW, I shot handguns at bullseye targets right handed, with my left [dominant] eye closed and did quite well that way too. I also shoot self defense right handed w/left eye closed. I'm making quality shots this way.

Is this the way to go or should I try to switch to left handed, left eye.

All suggestions and opinions will be greatly appreciated, especially from those who are cross dominant.
    Last edited by KenInColo; March 8th, 2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

JD
    Administrator
    Some reading for you to do....

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...1-eye-2-a.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...re-sights.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-trainers.html

Personally, I'm still working with this, I have two methods that I'm "testing" one is still shooting RH/RE, the other is shooting RH/both eyes with the sights canted toward my left eye.

I was thinking the same thing about switching, I do get max accuracy shooting lefty, but my reaction and gun handing is better using my RH.

I'm basically to the point that I just need to pick one method and force myself to stick to it. This mix and match is just detracting from my overall progression.

Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps.

I had been shooting right handed with left eye by slightly canting the handgun to the left so that you sight with the left eye while keeping both eyes open. If you turn your head to the right, it brings the left eye into alignment with the sights. Recently, I switched to just shooting with my left hand, and actually found that I shoot better. My xd 9sc is great for this as it is ambi. I haven't had any problems with this, and have just worked on strengthening my left hand more, and drawing and shooting more to increase the muscle memory.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    My Wife is left-handed and right-eye dominant.

At an NRA course ~1 year ago they told her that she should shoot right handed.

Well she will shoot handguns either way, but she still has a long way to go on accuracy. All handguns are open/iron sights.

She shot my Ruger 10/22 (with scope) and no way she could get to see thru the scope as a right-handed shooter. So I left her alone to shoot as a lefty and she's been blowing the centers out of the targets! First rifle she's shot since she was a kid in Summer camp (and hated it).

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I'm cross dom as well... sorrtaa (LE dom) Thing that is really a curse is i'm "socially" ambidexterious (my fine motor skills are in my left hand, and gross are in my right) So it feels natarul to draw the weapon with my left hand and rack the slide with my right hand, but then it feels natural to switch hands to shoot. Hoping my CCW instructor can shed some light on the issue.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I'm right-handed and left eye dominant. Luckily my dad caught it when I was a kid and taught me to shoot lefty. I can shoot pistol right-handed if need be, but shoot much better groups with my left. Its weird, after so much practice it actually feels wrong to hold a gun in my right hand even though I'm right-handed. But if you can shoot well with your right, go with it. "Quidquius operat" has long been my motto. Its Latin for "whatever works."

JD pretty much nailed it. If you are RH / LE I would always ask if maybe you are a LH shooter and just don't know it yet. If it works go with it and if you can train yourself to shoot with both eyes open even better. I just had a new shooter who had was RH / LE and he is now a LH / LE shooter.

I believe Center Axis Relock sighting is reliant on cross eye dominance.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have an SO buddy who is on the SRT team that shoots his handgun right-handed with his left eye. I have not seen him shoot, but I assuming since he is SRT he does very well with it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    rifles right handed.
    hand guns left handed.
    tennis lefty.
    baseball righty.

Do what feels comfortable. The gun doesn't care which hand you use.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Im also left eye dominant, right handed. My problem is I cant shut my left eye lid by itself, since I was a kid. So the left eye has naturally become dominant. I recall as a kid being right eye dominant.. I can shoot a rifle just fine with either eye, but I have to block the left eye, or take a long long time tricking my left eye to either be ignored or shut the lid. Easier just to cover it. With pistols, I go right handed lined up for my left eye, or both. Both doesn't feel natural though, so it usually ends up being left. I try to practice using all eye and hand positions though, that way I'm not learning on the fly.

Learn to shoot with both eyes open, it is not that hard to do. Plus it will give you a much fuller field of vision if your in a defensive situation.
    Jack dog

VIP Member

Range v Home Defence

FWIIW - I find that for me (RH / slight LE dominant) I do better by closing my stance a tad, pointing my nose a tad to the right of the target and shooting both eyes open, at the range. I get a sharper focus on the front-sight & a tad better scores that way. I don't close my right eye, but I have been told the lid drops just a bit, or blinks a little. I'm not trying to do that. It just happens when I focus.

OTOH -- For home defence, I rely on Crimson Trace. I do take my bedside .40 to the range for a little actual fire from time to time, but rely on snap caps to do the repetitive muscle memory training.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Learn to shoot with both eyes open, it is not that hard to do. Plus it will give you a much fuller field of vision if your in a defensive situation.
    That is true about the field of vision and the way I reccomend...but...

your dominant eye still takes over. If you don't believe it, grab a gun(unloaded of course) and point it at something while keeping both eyes open.Hold the gun at arms length and point it as a specific object.

Now...close your left eye.

If the gun stays on target, you are right eye dominate

Now...close you right eye and open your left. You should see that you are looking at the left side of the gun and the sights are no longer aligned with your eye.

Now do it again, this time closing your right eye. If the gun is on the target then you are left eye dominate. When you close your left eye and open the right, you should see that the sights are not aligned to your eye and you are looking at the right side of the gun.

Now here's the thing..
    It is important to know how to use your dominate eye when shooting.Anybody that trained doing smash and crash techniques whether it be police or military is taught to use both eyes with the head up. When the weapon, whether it be a 45 pistol or an MP5 is brought UP to eye level and everywhere the eye goes so do the barrel of the weapon.

Its is very quick and very efficient and it makes maximum use of the dominate eye, although most people don't realize it.

Nobody is going to shoot at someone else with one eye closed...ecpecially at normal close quarters combat range. It just doesn't work that way. When the body is in the awshucks mode, your brain wants to see everything that is happening and both eyes will be open.

Now that I've said that...

I have trained several people over the years to use their dominate eye and in most cases this includes learning to shoot with their other hand. With a little practice it'll work well and sometimes the results are not only immediate but they can be downright amazing.

At fist there will be some reluctance. I have had people tell me that there left hand was virtually useless and just taking up space. However, with some practice and encouragement, they start hitting the target much easier than they ever did and the success keeps them going on.

Since most defensive shooting is done at 21 feet or less, the human body is a big and long target. Even if cross eyed shooting you should be able to hit the target...even if you have to "walk" them in.

But understand that it is slow, and slow in a gunfight is usually equivalent to death or serious injury.

If you have to go up against someone that instinctively shoots, and uses the dominate eye to automatically line up his gun on you, you will most likely lose the encounter.

Thats just the way it is.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

AFShooter, as a kid, I was a terriffic RH hitter, b/c my dom left eye picked up the ball quicker; was also a good infielder b/c left eye guided glove hand to the ball better. In basketball, I was so terrible a shooter that the coach suggested I should be a wrestler. Was this the case w/you? I sucked at tennis (RH) but not at golf (RH). I think it's the dom eye thing.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    rifles right handed.
    hand guns left handed.
    tennis lefty.
    baseball righty.

Do what feels comfortable. The gun doesn't care which hand you use.

AFS
    Thanks all, esp JD for the references to read. I'm gonna try shooting RH with the LE & both eyes open and see how that feels. I just have so much better gun control with my RH.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Golf was right handed for me.
    I was told from as far back as I can remember do what's comfortable.
    There were things that I had to try both ways before I finally got it.
    Tennis is righty ping pong is lefty. I can still swing a hammer with either hand and it doesn't make a difference. Same with a screw driver.
    I'm not really sure I have a dominant eye. My vision goes back and forth.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links