Ever take a course with a non carry gun?

This is a discussion on Ever take a course with a non carry gun? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever taken a course in which you used a gun that was not your EDC? For instance, you use a (enter compact/subcompact be ...

Thread: Ever take a course with a non carry gun?

Question Ever take a course with a non carry gun?

Have you ever taken a course in which you used a gun that was not your EDC? For instance, you use a (enter compact/subcompact be it Glock, XD, M&P, etc) as your EDC but during the course you used a (enter fullsize of same manufacturer)? I guess this could also go for cross-platform, i.e. you carry a 1911 but took a course with a Sig. Maybe this is a stupid question, seeing that we should technically train with what we carry.

I can however see some logistical reasoning behind this. Some compacts/subcompacts are not as comfortable to shoot as their fullsize brethren, but they are more comfortable to carry. Another logistical matter could be the number of rounds, say 10 vs. 17.

What are your experiences and opinions?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have done courses with full size and my primary carry. I sometimes carry different weapons but all of mine are glocks. I have taken and give courses where more than one weapon is used. Shotgun and pistol or rifle and pistol or pistol and pistol and last but not least rifle and shotgun. Depends on what kind of training I am doing. I do back to my LEO days sometimes, my partner tries to keep me in the civilian world but it is possible to blend the worlds together.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Another clear advantage to taking such a course is that if for whatever reason you're in a situation with the 'other' (non-EDC) gun, you've had similar training with that specific weapon.

-JT

Last Friday I had to test of of NRA Basic pistol with a Sig .22.
    P I T A it was.
    1st the gun wasn't reliable...free malfunction drills.
    2nd. 15yd strong hand only shots with dark sights, in a indoor range trying to get 32in groups with a gun I had never shot before.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I intend to use a 5" XD-9 for any future coursework, but of course, that requires the possession of such a gun first. I train frequently enough with my XD40 that I'm not going to forget how it shoots, or how it feels - and the cost savings of 1k rounds of 9mm over 1k rounds of .40 is enormous.

Administrator
    Yup. No reason other than boredom, and trying something new.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I was thinking of trying some IDPA this summer. I undestand that they have different classes and was thinking of entering both "sub-compact" with my xd and "mousegun" with my keltec. That'd give me more shooting per unit of drive-time, if those categories exist seperately and it'd be allowable.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Check out the rulebook on IDPA.com. Free .pdf file download that outlines what division your guns would qualify for.

-JT

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle5 View Post
    Have you ever taken a course in which you used a gun that was not your EDC? For instance, you use a (enter compact/subcompact be it Glock, XD, M&P, etc) as your EDC but during the course you used a (enter fullsize of same manufacturer)? I guess this could also go for cross-platform, i.e. you carry a 1911 but took a course with a Sig. Maybe this is a stupid question, seeing that we should technically train with what we carry.

I can however see some logistical reasoning behind this. Some compacts/subcompacts are not as comfortable to shoot as their fullsize brethren, but they are more comfortable to carry. Another logistical matter could be the number of rounds, say 10 vs. 17.

What are your experiences and opinions?
    To answer your question yes, but I generally do carry a pleothora of differn't firearms. All Glocks.

I'm taking a course in June in Southern VA near Lexington. I'm going to do the entire course Weak handed draw, to kind of get more out of the box training then just a repeat of some of the stuff I've already had, and if I learn anything new I will transition that to my strong hand practice as well.
    ďAre you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the roomĒ?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I was thinking of trying some IDPA this summer. I undestand that they have different classes and was thinking of entering both "sub-compact" with my xd and "mousegun" with my keltec. That'd give me more shooting per unit of drive-time, if those categories exist seperately and it'd be allowable.
    I did this too... I showed up to a advanced SWAT class last year (I've been through it several times) with my P32 just for kicks. It was fun, and I got pretty good with the little gun. My scores were no where near what they would have been with my usual 220 or 228, but I had fun and raised some eyebrows.
    "Just blame Sixto"

While I guess itís better to take your carry gun for training, but I trend to take a full size instead.

Reason: Being in Florida I mostly carry a pocket gun the P3AT in the daytime and Glock 26 at night.

So, when I go to the range for practice I normally do so with all my pistols, including the P3AT 380 and Glock 26, as well as my home/RV/boat defense weapons G19 and G17.

But if I have to qualify for something, or for training, I take along the Glock 17.

With the longer barrel and it being a little heavier the Glock 17 is easier to be more accurate with.

I want to also say, that I donít think pocket guns like the P3AT should be fired a bunch. Sure, a couple clips a couple times a year is fine, but I do not believe they will hold up to the 1000 rounds or so a year I put through a Glockís.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

I want to also say, that I donít think pocket guns like the P3AT should be fired a bunch. Sure, a couple clips a couple times a year is fine, but I do not believe they will hold up to the 1000 rounds or so a year I put through a Glockís.
    No, they dont hold up to the abuse that training puts on them... I promptly scrapped the little KelTec for parts when I was done. It was starting to show signs of problems after 2k rounds in a four day course.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    I'm just now putting together a snub/compact auto course for this year. I feel it's about time to let the guys who carry these small backups/primary's daily [ that includes myself at times ] train the same skills that are used with the full size firearms.

J frames 5 shot snubs in 38/357
    K frame snubs like a 66 2.5 inch, etc
    Kel-tec's, etc
    walther ppk's/ppks etc types
    Walther P22's, etc
    glock 26/27
    XD 9/40/45 compacts

You get the idea. The initial thought is to run a two day course that allows the students to utilize a duty/full size type firearm initially in a skills set, then everyone swaps out to the backups with normal carry rigs [ even from the pocket is okay ] and we train the same skill for 3-4 mags with these.

Repeat the process with various skills and at the end of two days, the students will have been able to acquire the skills with their full size firearms as well as understand, deploy and utilize the small backup type firearms when they're being used as a primary with excellent effect.

This would allow students the opportunity to examine their choices in small BUG type weapons more effectively, learn to use them as efficiently as possible, learn their limitations with that weapon, and watch others choices performances at the same time.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sure, why not? I alternate between my Baer 1911's and my Sigs as my primary carry with a SP101 as a BUG. I like grabbing one and going for it since I believe you can't plan ever plan on a perfect plan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links