Is it real or just Hollywood?

This is a discussion on Is it real or just Hollywood? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just watched No Country For Old Men. In one scene, this guy is being chased by the BGs and their dog. He runs waist ...

Thread: Is it real or just Hollywood?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I just watched No Country For Old Men. In one scene, this guy is being chased by the BGs and their dog. He runs waist deep into a river and comes out on the other side. As he does, the dog is in close pursuit. He pulls out a 1911 which he was carrying SOB. The gun got immersed in the river. Before he shoots the dog, he drops the magazine, racks the slide ejecting the current cartridge, racks the slide a few more times, shakes the gun, reinserts the magazine, racks the slide and shoots.

My question is, was all that necessary, or would the gun have fired coming straight out of the river?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Seen that in a few other movies as well, for example Shoot'Em Up, where Clive Owen drops a Beretta 92 in a toilet, disassembles and cleans the whole thing, tries to fire it and it won't work, so runs it under a hand dryer in order to get it to finally work. However, I think all this is a load of horse pucky. I mean, there's countless posts on here of "I ran my ammo through the washer, can I still fire it?" and the answer is always "yes", (even washed some Hyrdashok .357's myself and they still worked fine), so I don't think the problem would be ammo related, and other then that what could go wrong? It's not like the hammer's not gonna fall on a 1911 like in No Country or the 92 in Shoot 'Em Up just cause it got wet. Heck, Glocks are sposed to be able to fire underwater!! I don't claim to have first hand knowledge, and have no intention of taking my piece for a swim to try it, but I think that's just Hollywood.

Good movie tho, huh???
    .40 is fine.

I'll agree---"horse puckey" or extra showmanship from Hollywood. Excess water in the bore can lead to excessive pressures, and this would tend to increase with cartridge specific pressures--that is higher risk with say an M16/AR15 weapon opposed to a 1911-and chances of a KB--but water in the mags/pistols shouldn't have much effect. Glocks can be fired underwater with the specified 'vented' firing pin spring cups-----NOT the original stock spring cups.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I don't know if all Glocks will shoot under water but I know there is a special little cup that is in line with the firing pin that Glock use to make almost impossible to get that allows the water to pass by the firing pin. With out the cup there is to much water in the area and this slows down the firing pin to a point that it will not strike the primer hard enought.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Another vote for horse puckey. Full of mud or silt then you might have a bigger problem, but water -- nope.

The ammo should certainly be fine. After going through a couple of boxes of WWB at the range my fingers are always gray/black from handling all the dirty ammo. I've even thought about running the ammo through the washer, on gentle cycle of course, before going to the range.

Ok, just kidding. But sometimes I do wipe down the ammo and inspect it at the same time before going to the range.
    Tom

Glock 19
    Kimber Gold Combat Stainless II
    Wilson Combat Tactcial Supergrade
    Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade Compact

It's absolutely true........and it's the reason that the Army won't fight in the rain!

Now Marines, on the other hand, use special weapons and ammo that allows them to fight, as the song says, "in any clime and place".......

Sorry. Just couldn't resist. You know we luv you guys!

VIP Member
    Yeah, it was almost certainly not required, but the character may have thought that it was required, and it looked interesting on screen. I've watched NCFOM a second time, and liked it even more after the repeat viewing.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    It's absolutely true........and it's the reason that the Army won't fight in the rain!

Now Marines, on the other hand, use special weapons and ammo that allows them to fight, as the song says, "in any clime and place".......

Sorry. Just couldn't resist. You know we luv you guys!
    nah you got that wrong - it was the Air Force won't fight in the rain --

woops - they don't fight...

GO ARMY!! BEAT NAVY!!

they were probably just showing off - I never did that with a 1911 - it would be enough to make sure that the bore was clear - (may be a member of PETA - trying to ensure that he had not had any fishies or leaches get up in the gun - hate to shoot a dog with a fish )

A Glock will shoot w/out the special cups .......yes I've done it on numerous occasions . (for demostrating purposes)

About as necessary as repeatedly racking a slide to make a gun really scary.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I also vote for horse pucky - primarily.

It wasn't his gun, he wasn't familiar with it's condition, he wanted to make sure it would fire and drying it out isn't a bad way to try and do that.

That said, it added dramatic tension to the scene by making it look like he wasn't going to get the shot off in time. Being the Vet that he was, he probably knew that he could have shot it at any time. He just wanted to make sure it would work, rather than risk a KB, injury from escaping steam, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I've had a few classes in the rain. I've never noticed any difference in gun performance.
    -Biker

Administrator
    Quality pistols and ammo work just fine when wet.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsored Links