Going to Gunsite Questions

This is a discussion on Going to Gunsite Questions within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any Gunsite alumni, I'm planning to take the 250 Defensive pistol course next year at Gunsite. Looking for input as to when the best time ...

Thread: Going to Gunsite Questions

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar

Going to Gunsite Questions

Any Gunsite alumni, I'm planning to take the 250 Defensive pistol course next year at Gunsite. Looking for input as to when the best time to go is and any thing I should plan for. I have a S&W 1911PD (Gunsite edition) and a Springer EMP I'm planning to take, but I have leather holsters for them, should I get a Klydex or not worry about it?
    All suggestions appreciated
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Check out SixBravo's Gunsite blog.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...site-blog.html

VIP Member
    +1 on the blog... very good read!

I'm saving my shekels for that course too... I was hoping to go this year but it might be next year like you.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm still hopeing to hook up 250 and 350 back to back to back next year. Still an outside chance for it this September; but, the odds are against it due to vacation time.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Take your pistol , if money allows take a clone of it ( your going to run the gun hard ) . Other than that take a bandanna ( or 3 or 5 ) which can be used as an off the hat cooling device , but is much more handy as a poor water on it and wipe down cooling device . Other than that things are pretty much covered onsite .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Thanks for the comments on the blog, guys.

Holster and gun:
    I would suggest bringing a good rig you'll be okay with drawing from. If you've got something that's a few years old and is kinda coming apart, don't even consider it. Youll run your firearm and holster HARD. Buy yourself a cheapo cleaning kit when you get into town (there's two Wal-Marts local to Prescott) and clean your firearm every night. Honestly - the most important thing for a member here is just to make sure you are comfortable with whatever you take.

When to go:
    Anytime from now until late July. Temps are still kinda cool and will obviously get warmer. Ideally? May to June. However it will not be hot up there like in Phoenix. DO NOT go anytime in late summer or early fall - that's our Monsoon Season (no I'm not kidding). It would be better if you let me know when you plan to go and then I can suggest to you what you should bring. Also... don't just take my word for it - call 'em up and ask. Gunsite doesn't mind - swear. They'll give you plenty of details about what you'll need and obviously they'll have a 1-up on me if they've changed their program at all.

Like I said in the blog.. go and forget whatever you might have learned and be ready to break habits. They are a top-notch group with some just outstanding personnel working there. The first day or so is REALLY basic for some of us but the last 3 days make it all worth it. You'll love the killhouses!!!!!

Shoot me a PM if you figure out when you want to go. Due to job prospects, I'm looking at taking the 350 Pistol and their 223 Carbine courses sometime soon so there may be more blogs.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I have been to 250, and 350, both have been in Oct. Nice temps, you can also sign up for the Gunsite Alumni Shoot (GAS) in Oct. GAS in a fun event.

I would train with what you will carry in terms of holster, and mag carrier.

A dump pouch or bag of some sort is nice. You can empty two or three boxes of ammo, and it will make it easier to reload instead of out of the box. At least for me.

Take more ammo than they suggest. If there is an open spot on one of the relays you could step up, and get more trigger time.

Check out Little Thumb Butte Bed and Breakfast Ann is a fabulous host, and great food. Book early as her rooms fill up fast.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Links