Family familiarity

Family familiarity

This is a discussion on Family familiarity within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK - this ain't CCW per se - more general firearm's useage. Guess it could be equally viable in General Gun Discussions. Since getting step ...

Thread: Family familiarity

Assistant Administrator

Family familiarity

OK - this ain't CCW per se - more general firearm's useage. Guess it could be equally viable in General Gun Discussions.

Since getting step daughter to range and thinking on various factors after recent situations like NOLA - post Katrina - I am ever more of the opinion that we should ensure that our family members are 'aux fait' with most of our platforms.

I know for instance that my wife (and now to a degree step daughter) can operate usefully the AK. They also know enough to manage most handguns, tho semi's of full size still a bit of a challenge.

Strikes me as important that if need be - we could thrust this that or the other gun at them - in a hurry - with some ammo - knowing that they will not be finding problems over the mechanics - or the actual useage.

I will therefore be adding in some assorted platforms on future range visits and even if that proves difficult to achieve sufficiently - running thru at least the op' mechanics - to achieve a good understanding.

If luxuries permitted, I will also cover failure drills too and field stripping.

Me paranoid?? Nah!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

nothing wrong with that i make sure old lady knows how to use everygun we have a espically load them for me just in case

Lead Moderator
    makes lots of sense. This is the reason I stick to similar semi autos for carry guns, training and use gives me familiarity with the platform. I have been trained to use revo's too, but picked semi's . I doubt I will own a revo for defensive use anymore.

Wife can shoot everything except the Mosin - she won't touch the M38, syays recoil looks painful on me, and she want's NOTHING to do with it!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

VIP Member
    I agree with Chris. Everyone under my roof for more than a few days gets orientation at a minimum. My wife is a pistol instructor, so no worries there. She likes shooting shotguns as well. She doesn't like rifles, but is familiar with the AR15 I have. When my sister lived with us for a few months she was trained on the basics on all three platforms.

Remember you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.

-Scott-

VIP Member
    We must not become discouraged when some of those in the family are resistant to shooting. In an emergency there are so many useful tasks to be delegated, that everyone should be made to feel an important part of the family plan. Who knows, in exit strategy discussions, perhaps they all will realize the need to become familiar with arms, just in case.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

My daughter (16) has been trained to operate every gun in my safe. She can also field strip and clean them (my requirement if she is to shoot them).

She competes with a G35 and Kimber 45 shooting factory ammo.

Heven help the person that threatens her if she has access to a weapon. She has even asked me to come to the hall doorway and look at her room clearing techniques.

Proud Dad :)

Also if I go to training she goes as well.

Later, Steven

Sponsored Links