scared trigger finger

scared trigger finger

This is a discussion on scared trigger finger within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From the first day a gun was put in are hand we heard "keep your finger off the trigger." Well over the years of this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scared trigger finger

scared trigger finger

From the first day a gun was put in are hand we heard "keep your finger off the trigger." Well over the years of this mental training to keep my finger off the trigger it appears the my trigger finger has gotten afraid to get near anything that resembles a trigger. This is what i have noticed lately. When i grab the nozzle at the gas pump my trigger finger safely up along side the body of the nozzle. When i pick up my drill, sawzall or hair dryer.(you get the idea) my finger is always up and out off the way. The only explanation i can think of is my trigger finger is scared.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I'm not there yet, but I'll keep trying.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Jay:

Not "scared" at all.

Just think "educated".

And a lot of us need to get our trigger finger educated as well.

...Skye...

I can understand that "educated" reaction. (hehe thanks Skye)

I actually have a moment of though when ever one of my neices/nephews wants to play with water guns and such when I go to "shoot" them, I have to actually think about putting my finger on the trigger to join in on the fun.

Administrator
    Get help. Your finger needs therapy.

I find myself doing the same thing, specifically with gas pumps and power tools; I don't put my finger on the lever/switch/etc... until the gas pump is *in* the receptacle, or the saw is against the wood, etc....

To be honest, it's probably a good habit. I'll wager money neither of us will ever have an AD (not to say it can't happen, though).

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Administrator

Question

OK help a poor ignorant moderator out here.

Is this a serious thread that should be posted in Concealed Carry and Tactical Training or would it fit best into Humor & Off Topic?

Do we have defensive carry people here who are honestly suffering from Apprehensive Trigger Digit. ATD

I am of the personal opinion that the human mind is instantly capable of differentiating between a hair dryer - a gas pump & a handgun so I am really not seeing this as a serious issue.

Maybe it is but, it sure is a new one on me.

Help me out here.

Not my thread, but I think you should rename the thread to "Apprehensive Trigger Digit" and move it to Off Topic.

For the books, I doubt anyone here considers you (or any of the mod staff) remotely ignorant. Strict, occasionally. Ignorant, never.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I find myself doing the same thing with any object even remotely gun shaped, especially my kids 'training' guns. (We don't have 'toy' guns in our house. My four boys have 'training' guns.)

I do not think this is a bad thing at all. It reflects good, solid, safety training being ingrained to the point of unconscious behavior.

Administrator
    I'd have it removed and retrain another one in its place. Maybe the rest of them will get scared and not pull any stupid stunts like that again.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, I'm not sure exactly where this topic should be, but I do the same thing and have for years. I do it often enough that sometimes other people notice which can be a good opening for "enlightenment".

If you think about it, it's a good habit to be in. Granted a power saw is not going to shoot a projectile but is plenty hazardous in it's own right. Safety does not only apply to firearms

I guess I've made peace with it by calling it muscle memory, whenever I grab anything that feels the same or similar as a handgun my finger instinctively knows where to go. Then my mind takes over to operate whatever tool I'm using.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

My opinion? Excellent (perhaps too good) muscle memory!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd have it removed and retrain another one in its place. Maybe the rest of them will get scared and not pull any stupid stunts like that again.

LMAO!!!

To be honest, I never linked a trigger on a power tool or gas pump to the trigger on a gun in my mind, so it's never been an issue. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll probably start thinking about it every time I take out my drill or saw. Thanks.

Maybe this is a good lesson to learn for all of us - no finger on the trigger - no ADs.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    From the first day a gun was put in are hand we heard "keep your finger off the trigger." Well over the years of this mental training to keep my finger off the trigger it appears the my trigger finger has gotten afraid to get near anything that resembles a trigger. This is what i have noticed lately. When i grab the nozzle at the gas pump my trigger finger safely up along side the body of the nozzle. .........
    AAHHHHHHH!!!! Thank God!! I thought it was just me! I just hope I don't get robbed athe pump....the BG will get sprayed with 87 octane!
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links