Help! Paper target question

This is a discussion on Help! Paper target question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Could any members recommend a good silhouette paper target to be used for defensive practice at an indoor range? I've been using basic silhouette paper ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Paper target question

Could any members recommend a good silhouette paper target to be used for defensive practice at an indoor range? I've been using basic silhouette paper targets bought from the range but was looking at ordering a supply from an online source.

There are so many types, shapes and sizes, I find it a bit overwhelming! What I am looking for is a basic silhouette for the distances I practice for at the range: 5, 7 and 15 yards.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

These are what I use at my indoor range, IDPA targets run me 80 each there:

Official Shooting Targets

To make my range experience more frugal---I always take several 9" paper plates from home, and staple them over the target center to renew the target after each 100 rounds.
    Your range tip for the day. LOL!

Before you order them, make sure you can use them at your range. The indoor range around here will not let you use your own targets. You have to buy them from the range.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The National Target Company - Home

Just about any kind and size of target that you could possibly want.

Good old B-27s are hard to beat. LE targets has a variety of colors and configurations, including an economy version at the bottom of page 6.

If your range lets you use your own targets, you can definitely come out ahead. You can get these for less than a quarter each while most ranges charge 50 - $1 each for them.

Joe

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    An 8" paper plate or 8.5" x 11" paper and a 3 x 5 card are great targets. And the price is right. Check out Pistol-Training.Com for great drills to improve your shooting. Some of the drills use these items.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    I have used these targets and they are awesome, one target will last you an entire day at the range. I have put around 300 rounds in one of them and still had stuff to shoot at!
    "If you ladies leave my island, if you survive recruit training, you will be a weapon, you will be a minister of death praying for war. "R. Lee Ermey---FMJ"

What do all the different numbers mean like B-21, B-27? I practice mostly for short range defensive shooting situations at ranges of 5, 7, and 10 yards at my range. I'm not really target shooting at 20 and 25+ yards. I see that some are labeled "for 25 yards", while others say "for 50 yards" What kind do I need to be using? I'm still confused, but thanks for the previous links and info in your posts.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    What do all the different numbers mean like B-21, B-27? I practice mostly for short range defensive shooting situations at ranges of 5, 7, and 10 yards at my range. I'm not really target shooting at 20 and 25+ yards. I see that some are labeled "for 25 yards", while others say "for 50 yards" What kind do I need to be using? I'm still confused, but thanks for the previous links and info in your posts.
    I believe that the numbers are merely stock numbers. The distance for the targets depends on what the purpose of the target is. For ex, a 100 yd target for smallbore rifles is designed to be shot at 100 yds with a smallbore rifle. (duh!)

For handguns a 25 ft slow fire target is usually smaller in diam than a 25 ft timed fire target. The distances printed on the targets also tries to keep the target at a uniform "visual" diameter (ie it looks the same size no matter what distance because the targets are different sizes. Bigger for further away and vice versa.)

Myself, I'm too ornery to buy targets for specific purposes. I like the A7/5 75 yd smallbore rifle target for pistol shooting because it's harder to hit and get higher scores than "ordinary" pistol targets. The bullseye circles are only about 5" in diam. Plus I get 5 targets per sheet. I regularly shoot them out to about 30 ft at my indoor range.

I shoot at an outdoor range. I prefer cheap, 9" paper plates. I keep a pack in my truck along with a good stapler and a supply of staples. Paper plates are appx the size as the inner circle (9.5"x10.5") on the targets used for qualifying for a Kansas concealed carry license, NRA Police Training and Qualification Target.

Targets

Try Blackheart's Global War on Terror series:

Targets

Who wouldn't love to shoot these?
    Attached Images

JD
    Administrator
    I usually buy mine from The Officer Store, I think I got 100 "Q" targets for $30.00.

Then again, it was a lot easier when I lived 5 miles from them and could just go and pick them up.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Eight inch paper plates and 8x11 copy paper. Cheap and great for practice hitting the vitals.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Here's one you can download for free:

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/40001.pdf

It's 16 pages, and you have to tape it together, but it's available whenever you want!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links