Tell me your drill

Tell me your drill

This is a discussion on Tell me your drill within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you have a standard drill you do ever time you go to the range? What drill do you do to prepare your self to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tell me your drill

Do you have a standard drill you do ever time you go to the range?
    What drill do you do to prepare your self to pull your gun and shoot?

Distance,weapon,starting point,numbers off shot and time,a long with everything in between..

Tell me your pro drill so i can hit the range and train..

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    Do you have a standard drill you do ever time you go to the range?
    What drill do you do to prepare your self to pull your gun and shoot?

Distance,weapon,starting point,numbers off shot and time,a long with everything in between..

Tell me your pro drill so i can hit the range and train..
    My wife loads 6 mags between 4 and 9 rounds deep before putting a dum-dum in there and then topping it off. I don't cheat, I let it be a surprise.

I take one six sided dice to the range with me.

I run two mags normal draw. One mag off handed draw. One mag off-handed ready. One mag strong handed draw and one mag strong handed ready.

I roll the dice. This does two things: It tells me how many COM hits I need to stop the threat, and it gives me near-focus which puts me at a disadvantage to someone who is already focused on the threat.

Let's say I roll a five. I fire four shots before hitting the dum-dum. I clear the dum-dum and fire once more. I rince and repeat as necessary to make my way through the mag then start over.

This routine has worked well for me. Sometimes my wife will not top off a mag, or put no dum-dums in the mag, etc. She keeps it mixed up, which is good. If my mag runs out mid-drill, I load a new mag and finish the drill before changing hands/drills/etc.

My brother got me hooked on this, we used to load each others weapon and spare mags for each drill so that we'd get some 'surprises'.

I do lose about two dum-dums a month.

Administrator
    I dont have a set drill anymore, I like to mix things up to keep it interesting. I do always try to challenge myself.
    The one thing I always do at the end of the session is that at least the last mag is spent going over the basics of trigger control, sights etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Besides the basics, I pick one from Todd Green's web site Pistol-Training.Com Drills. I especially enjoy Pistol-Training.Com Dot Torture. I try to have some fun to reward myself for doing the training.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Here is the core of my flat range program. I like it as it is fairly comprehensive and only requires 36 rounds.

It is shot cold, no warm up, with your street/duty gear.

Drills #1-#9 are shot at ten yards and Drill #10 at 25 yards. I use IPSC targets.

All hits must be in the A-zone(s) and the drill must be accomplished within the par time to get a "GO." A round that impacts outside the A-zone or going over time results in a "NO-GO."

Each drill is performed twice for a total of 20 possible "GO's."

STANDARDS

1. One round on one target, from the ready (1.0 seconds)
    2. Two rounds on one target, from the ready (1.25 seconds)
    3. One round on two targets, from the ready (1.5 seconds) (1st iteration shoot right target the left target; 2nd iteration shoot left target then right target)
    4. One round strong-hand-only on one target, from the ready (1.0 second)
    5. One round weak-hand-only on one target, from the ready (1.0 seconds)
    6. One round on one target, from the holster (1.5 seconds)
    7. One round strong-hand-only, from the holster (1.5 seconds)
    8. One round, reload, one round, on one target (3.25 seconds)
    9. Five rounds to the body, one round to the head on one target, from the ready (3.0 seconds)
    10. One round from the holster, on one target (2.0 seconds)

For low-light training, I use the same drills with a weapon-mounted light and Drills #1, #2, #3 and #9 with a handheld light.

I am like sixto in that I have no set routine. I do have a basic framework though. I try at least to practice these things:

two handed shooting both right handed, and left handed.
    single hand shooting with each hand.
    2+1 drills
    fast mag change. I load up one mag with 2 rounds, the other is full. load in the mag with 2 rounds, fire, drop, reload, shoot.
    Practice shooting with both eyes open, and one eye shut.
    shoot from 5, 10, 15, and 20 foot distances. 25 if I have the extra ammo.
    Point shooting.

Until I become independently wealth and can afford cases of ammo, or start reloading, I stick to the basics.

+1 for Pistol-Training.com

Also, dryfire practice: drawing, trigger staging, acquiring site picture, trigger control. It's all good.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    +1 for Pistol-Training.com

Also, dryfire practice: drawing, trigger staging, acquiring site picture, trigger control. It's all good.

-JT
    +1 for dryfire at home and/or wherever the opportunity arises.

Senior Moderator
    The only drill I consistently perform at the range is a cold failure to stop drill with my carry gun, just as an assurance that the muscle memory still works.

Other than that, it's a mixed bag of slow precision shooting and rapid-fire drills on an IDPA practice target.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

New Member Array oletymepreacher's Avatar
    Dry fire, two handed, strong side the weak side, 10 minutes, then same drill one handed, doing daily.
    Have range at home. Shoot one mag for precision from 50 yards with strong side, then another mag with weak side.
    Point/speed shooting at close range, practicing getting off the X and only on the move, Strong side one handed, then weak side one handed.
    One pistol in each hand, one mag for each, shooting both while running off the X toward the target.
    Finish with precision shooting one handed, both strong side and weak side.
    What FUN! Duds are loaded at different places in mags, then mags are thrown into bag and withdrawn randomly. Shoot all mags dry , reload when necessary. Will shoot as fast as possible, some runs to target may take two mags.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    To be honest I really don't have a drill. I might dry fire a few times so I don't react to the recoil as much when shooting live rounds. I just try my best to remember my basics sight alignment, trigger pull, follow thru etc... Doing the basics works for me each time in order to keep my groups nice and purdy I don't change too much in the way I shoot. It's pretty much the same stuff each time. I just work to get my groups tighter and tighter. If I start changing my routine my groups go to heck.

My routine.

First, I'll burn about 50 rounds just to enjoy being out and shooting. Remember the basics, but have fun. The work starts when this 50 roundsd is gone.

50 rounds of sight acquisition drills. From a high (chest) ready, push the gun to the target. watching the sight in your peripheral vision, keep your focus on the target. When the sights reach the target, execute the shot.

50 rounds of malfunction drills. Have a range partner load your mags with any number of empty cases staggered among good rounds. Practice clearing them at speed. If you look down at the gun, you are wrong. Tap&Rack, if that doesn't solve it, Rip, Strip and Reload.

50 rounds of reload drills. Put one round in every mag, place mags in the pouches you CCW with. When the gun is empty, get it loaded without fiddling around.

That's my "always and every time" routine. Other stuff I do a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    +1 for dryfire at home and/or wherever the opportunity arises.
    Agreed, very much.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Drill I've been given for drawing.

1) Make sure weapon is empty.
    2) Repeat Step 1 as much as necessary.
    3) Draw slowly, but smoothly. Try not to break it up into steps or stages, and keep the motion smooth, with no breaks in motion. Do 20X
    4) Draw at what you feel your 'normal' speed is. Do 20X
    5) Draw as fast as you physically can. Do 20X
    6) Do Step 3 again.

When drawing, draw and acquire your sight picture, and stage your trigger, but don't let the trigger break. Be mindful of safety at all times. Try not to change levels throughout the motion...no bobbing up or down.

-JT

BAC
    Dry-firing at home for me; I don't know of any nearby ranges that permit drawing from holster and/or rapid-fire, so at the range I'm limited to honing the basics.

-B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links