Range Commands

Range Commands

This is a discussion on Range Commands within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that this is not tactical related, but I wasn’t sure where else to put it. Range Commands Questions for all you range officers ...

Thread: Range Commands

Range Commands

I realize that this is not tactical related, but I wasn’t sure where else to put it.

Range Commands

Questions for all you range officers and trainers….

I am looking for a list of common “Range Commands” for use while introducing somebody to shooting. I have a few of the basics:

Lock and Load – load the weapon and engage the safety
    Commence Fire – disengage the safety and begin firing
    Cease Fire – stop firing, unload the weapon, put the weapon down or back in holster

But I was wondering if there is list of additional commands for example, is there ea recognized command that tells the shooter to stop whatever he/she is doing but to keep their current position without changing grip or orientation of their weapon?

Thanks for your input.

Tim

Well... there's "STOP!". Which should be interpreted by the shooter as a freeze command.

Standard range commands:

Range going hot!
    Does the Shooter understand the course of fire?
    Face downrange, load and make ready.
    Is the Shooter ready?
    Stand by...
    Muzzle
    Finger
    Stop
    Cover
    If the Shooter is finished, face downrange, unload and show clear.
    Clear. Slide down / cylinder closed, hammer / striker down, reholster.
    Range is clear.

Joe

Administrator
    All public ranges I know of just use plain english now, and the hold over "commands" are pretty obvious what they mean.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i have NEVER, on any range, hear "lock and load".

the ones i hear on every military m-16/m-4 range are:
    1. load (takes the weapon from condition 4 to condition 3)
    2. make ready (takes the weapon from condition 3 to condition 1)
    3. fire
    4. cease fire
    5. unload (takes the weapon from any condition to condition 4)
    6. unload show clear (same as unload only requires inspection from range personnel)

on civilian ranges, i've heard:
    1. range is hot
    2. range is cold
    3. cease fire

that's about it.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5tango View Post
    i have NEVER, on any range, hear "lock and load".

the ones i hear on every military m-16/m-4 range are:
    1. load (takes the weapon from condition 4 to condition 3)
    2. make ready (takes the weapon from condition 3 to condition 1)
    3. fire
    4. cease fire
    5. unload (takes the weapon from any condition to condition 4)
    6. unload show clear (same as unload only requires inspection from range personnel)
    Either the USMC does things differently from the Army, or things have changed in the last 20 years or so.

I distinctly recall hearing, "Lock and load one 30-round magazine!"

followed by

Ready on the right?
    The right is ready!
    Ready on the left?
    The left is ready!
    The firing line is ready!
    Gentlemen, WATCH YOUR LANES!

Don't recall the sequence on the other end of the process.

I can still hear it clearly too, only in my day it was a 20-round mag.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I've never heard lock and load on a Marine range, its usually:

Load,
    With a magazine of x rounds, make ready.
    Ready on the right? Ready on the left?
    All shooters on the line are ready.
    You may commence firing when your targets appear.
    Targets.

Cease fire, Cease fire, Cease fire.
    Unload and show clear.
    All shooters are clear, exit the firing line.

At the local ranges its usually just:

Fire at will and cease fire.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Yup, "lock and load" comes from my days in the Army. However, it has been quite a while since I have been on a "controled" range which is why I am asking for input.

I really do not care whether or not I use the same commands that I heard in the Army 25 years ago, I just want to teach this with commands that make sense and are likely to be heard today at a "controled" range. I want to "do it right" so I decided to ask those who would know.

Good input so far, please keep it comming.

Thanks,
    Tim

Got this from Pat G at PFT

RANGE COMMANDS

• Cease Fire- This means STOP shooting immediately. This is normally called by the Range Master / Instructor but may be called by anyone who sees an unsafe condition at any time on the range.

• Make Safe- This means applying safeties (If applicable), holstering the firearm and removing your finger from the trigger. If the gun is not on target or low ready position it should be in your holster.

• Dry Fire- This is when the trigger is pulled without live Ammo in the Firearm. (Dry Practice)

• Live Fire- This is a trigger pull with Live Ammo in the Firearm! This is ONLY done upon the issuance of the Fire Command from the Instructor, following the 4 Rules of Safety.

• Command to Fire / Shoot- This may be a whistle or voice command indicating the necessity for commencement of the shooting exercise. The words: THREAT or FIGHT will be used.

POSITIONS

• Low Ready Position- This is a position in which the gun is unholsterd and aimed forward at approximately a 45 degree angle to the ground, so that if it was discharged it would not wound anyone. In this position as with all positions the finger is OFF the trigger until the shot is ready to be fired. You do not normally shoot from this position.

• Retention Position- This is a position with the firearm drawn back into the center of your chest /abdomen at a 45 degree angle to your body. This position allows you to hold the firearm for very long periods of time with little or no arm fatigue. It is also effective in helping you maintain possession of the firearm in the event someone is trying to strip you of your firearm. (CQB Position) This position as in all positions, the finger is OFF the trigger until the shot is ready to be fired. You CAN shoot from this position.

• Position Sul- (Sul in Portuguese means south) and it aptly describes the bore axis of the firearm while in this position. Start with the gun in both hands in a “Low Ready” position begin by loosening up the grip of your non-shooting hand and rotate your hand so that the slide lays across the back of your non- shooting . At the same time, unlock your elbows and bring your hands to your solar plexus. The open palm of your non –shooting hand should be open and touching your solar plexus. With your finger off the trigger and the tips of your thumbs touching.

• Threat Position- This is the drawn position with the sights on the target with the finger on the frame. Upon evaluation of the threat, the slack is removed from the trigger and the shot is fired. You WILL shoot from this position.

• Manipulation Position- This is the basketball sized area directly in front of and slightly below your chest. This is the area that you will manipulate the gun in. This includes but is not limited to Jams, and or malfunctions, speed or emergency reloads, or tactical reloads, or chamber checks. This is NOT a position to hold the firearm in while waiting to shoot or for situation assessment.

• Scan- A simple maneuver that helps break the tunnel vision associated with high stress situations as well as allowing the shooter to effectively reevaluate his/her current firing solution. This maneuver must be executed subconsciously and effectively at any time. (You are looking for more THREATS where there is 1 there is 2. You must also BREATHE while you are conducting this maneuver.) We scan 360 degrees in this school using position SUL.

GUNHANDLING

• Range Reload- This procedure is done with the firearm in the holster, usually by pressing the magazine release button with the right hand, then removing the empty or partial empty magazine with the right hand and toping off the magazine or inserting a fresh magazine and securing it into the firearm with the right hand.

• Tactical Reload- This procedure is done with the firearm in the manipulation position, usually when the magazine is empty or you have moved to cover. Care is not usually taken to recover the empty magazine.

• Emergency Reload- This procedure is done in emergency situations when the magazine may be empty or not. This requires removal of the partially empty magazine, and insertion of a new one while retaining the partially empty one for use latter. (Insert this magazine in your pocket NOT you’re Magazine Pouch, the pouch is for FULLY loaded magazines.)

• Tap-Rack-Fight- This process clears malfunctions and /or jams and effectively “resets” the firearm. TAP means to smack the bottom of the magazine firmly enough to lock it into place or dislodge any bind in the magazine. RACK is a cycling of the slide to eject any hammered /or dead casings or to re-chamber a new cartridge following a malfunction. FIGHT: means being prepared to commence or resume fire as required by accessing the situation.
    (These maneuvers must be able to be executed subconsciously and effectively at any time.)

Firing Line Commands

This is what I give new instructors in my Firearms Instructor Devlopment course.

FIRING LINE COMMANDS

Fire Commands: (following demo/instructions)

1. IPSC Model -

a. "Shooter(s) Ready?" (pause 1-3 sec)

b. “Standby”

c. Signal/command to fire FIRE OR THREAT

2. NRA Model -

a. “Standby” (pause)

b. “Ready"

c. Signal/command to fire FIRE OR THREAT

3. Military Model -

a. "Ready on the Right?" (pause)

b. Ready on the Left?” (pause)

c. "The line is Ready" (pause)

d. Signal/command to fire FIRE OR THREAT

4. Regardless of the model used, all students must respond if they are not prepared to follow instructions.

5. The Firearms Instructor must make sure that all personnel on the line can hear his commands and the start signal/command.

Tom Perroni

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Every range I have ever been on is run differently according to whose running it, and the activity that is being conducted. There really is no 1 way to run a range.

Also, most ranges have written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) Range commands given can generally be found in the SOP.

However, range is relative to the activity being done. Shotgun ranges are run differn't from, small bore ranges, from IDPA matches, high power matches, etc.... from ranges where your working more dynamically and moving either by your self on a line, or together as a unit. The activities on the range can effect the commands being given.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Standard range commands:

Range going hot!
    Does the Shooter understand the course of fire?
    Face downrange, load and make ready.
    Is the Shooter ready?
    Stand by...
    Muzzle
    Finger
    Stop
    Cover
    If the Shooter is finished, face downrange, unload and show clear.
    Clear. Slide down / cylinder closed, hammer / striker down, reholster.
    Range is clear.
    This pretty much covers what we use in the Utah Polite Society. We run a hot range though, so you rarely hear "load and make ready" and almost never "show clear".

One other command we do use (quite a lot actually) is "FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT!", which is for use when a shooter has a jam or empty gun and just stands there staring at it, rather than reloading or applying immediate action.

Either the USMC does things differently from the Army, or things have changed in the last 20 years or so.

I distinctly recall hearing, "Lock and load one 30-round magazine!"

followed by

Ready on the right?
    The right is ready!
    Ready on the left?
    The left is ready!
    The firing line is ready!
    Gentlemen, WATCH YOUR LANES!

Don't recall the sequence on the other end of the process.

I do agre on this I have spent many a day as Range OIC.
    The rest of it was after the time the targets was done would be after ciease fire called is
    Clear and lock weapons
    Clear on the leaft
    the left is clear
    clear on the right the right is clear
    clear in the center
    the center is clear
    the fireing line is clear
    Then they can do whT they need to do like check targets and such.

Links