An online CCW course?

This is a discussion on An online CCW course? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone in VA seen this or rather taken this course: The Concealed Carry Institute ? It looks like Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk put ...

Thread: An online CCW course?

Question An online CCW course?

Has anyone in VA seen this or rather taken this course: The Concealed Carry Institute ?

It looks like Bob's Gun Shop in Norfolk put their concealed carry course online. Obviously it's only going to cover safety and VA laws regarding carry and use of force. I'm just wondering if it's worth it or not to see if I can get my sister to take it either on her own or with me if necessary. She's already expressed interest(on her own - sans any prying from me) in going to the range and maybe even buying her own handgun to start carrying.

We're definitely going to start some range trips and I'll take my pistols and probably rent a few different ones as well for her to try though.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

I hope you don't have to qualify with your weapon online. That would not be good for your computer. I never really understood any kind of online courses. Seems like it would be far too easy to cheat.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I hope it's free.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I hope you don't have to qualify with your weapon online. That would not be good for your computer. I never really understood any kind of online courses. Seems like it would be far too easy to cheat.
    Yeah...I guess that would be bad.

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I hope it's free.
    Nada...the site says $39.
    Last edited by packinnova; April 13th, 2008 at 05:36 PM. Reason: so I can't spell...gimme a break

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I think I would check with the State Police as well as your Circuit Court to make sure they will honor it. I know there site says it is accepted, but what else would you expect them to say. Would suck to spend $40. then have it rejected.

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons

18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

Here is the full text of the law.

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308

However here is Sub section G that deals with training:

G. The court shall require proof that the applicant has demonstrated competence with a handgun and the applicant may demonstrate such competence by one of the following, but no applicant shall be required to submit to any additional demonstration of competence:

1. Completing any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training which the court deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this subsection.

Tom Perroni

I hope you don't have to qualify with your weapon online. That would not be good for your computer.
    Now that's funny as all get-out, I don't care who ya are! LOL! Thanks for my laugh of the day. Seriously!

I took my course despite the fact that a license is not necessary in this state. I took the course for training, something which I seriously doubt that one could really get from an online course.

in addition to 8 hours training with a retired FBI agent and Alaska State Trooper I got a 4 hour Q and A session with a 25 year veteran prosecuting attorney in the state of Alaska, all for $60. Money VERY well spent!

Get real training, forget some stupid 'online' course, it seems to be a joke!

Unbelievable.

Randy

VIP Member
    VA doesn't have a shooting or handling requirement, so an online course could be ok. As noted your sister would need to check with her county circuit court judge to see if that court accepts this online course. Some courts tried to limit courses to less than the law provided and they were challenged and lost. The law allows them to say Jim Billy Bob's course is ok with them, but it doesn't allow them to say that the NRA PPOTH Course is the only one that they will accept and that you had to take it the year you applied for your permit.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Onlilne CC training.

And while you're at it, see if they have any online heart surgery training.You could make serious money knowing that.

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I never really understood any kind of online courses. Seems like it would be far too easy to cheat.
    It's easy to cheat in a classroom too. When I was in college, people used to hire other kids to take their exams and do all of their projects. For about $400 you could get an A in a course that you never even attended for 1 day.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Without a doubt a quick online course and a brand new gun and were ready!

I don't think the normal CCW courses are truly sufficient to prepare someone for carrying concealed but this is a joke. The decision to carry a gun is one of the biggest decisions of your life because it can have life altering consequenses. If someone can't spend at least 8-12 hrs to train then they are not serious enough to carry in my opinion.

Links