"cold " shot

This is a discussion on "cold " shot within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; anyone else go out and shoot 1 shot and see how accurate it is? I like to do this to judge my overall accuracy without ...

Thread: "cold " shot

Lead Moderator

"cold " shot

anyone else go out and shoot 1 shot and see how accurate it is? I like to do this to judge my overall accuracy without a warm up. Same idea as sniper training. The first shot is the one you will be taking if it all goes bad.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Rocky - this actually has some relevance to my new thread HERE.

Indeed - I am more and more feeling that the first shot is ever critical and must count - so I do practice this drill quite a lot. Most was some ways back when I packed my SP-101 but need to do more of same much more with SIG.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    actually it got me thinking of how I train.

Administrator

Rocky

You and Chris are thinking on exactly the same mental plane.
    By all means practice taking that critical first shot like your life depended on it.

I have found it interesting how different the first "cold" shot can be compared to the rest of the string. It is really noticable on some autos; my new K9 is usually 1 - 1.5" different from the first round to the rest of the group. Not as bad with the 1911, but still noticable. I guess that is a function of subtle differences in how it goes into battery (manual vs. recoil). For this reason a lot of the gun mags seem to fire the first round into a backstop prior to accuracy testing.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Senior Moderator
    I do that too guys; that first cold shot is the most important one. It's at least indicative of what you and your equipment will do on "the" cold shot.

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    I guess that is a function of subtle differences in how it goes into battery (manual vs. recoil).
    Would it make sense, then to practice a number of rounds loading only one into the mag at a time?
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

As I was taught by sniper extraordinaire John Simpson, there is no such thing as one shot one kill. It is all about your group size, and hit probability. If you have a good, tight grouping then you know the area your first shot will fall within. I would like to believe this holds true with handguns too.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I don't know if this is true or not, maybe someone else with some more experience could shed some light on it. Aparantly the 'cold' shot is a common occourance. While I was in Iraq, we would re-confirm our zeros on a fairly regular basis, but before we did this, our platoon commander would have us shoot 10 rounds or so through our rifles to 'warm up our barrels,' thus having the effect that our rifles would hold that zero when warmed up as opposed to having a zero for a cold barrel, which might change slightly after more rounds were fired through it and it warmed up. Any input
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Conceal This.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For CCW purposes,at 7yds(max15) the first shot(fouling shot) doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference. Does anybody feel that their CCW will shoot so very much different, the first shot to the 7th ?? If there is any difference(probably a inch or so) with the first shot it will be from those of you that carry mags with 14 to 17 rds. This will be due to the weight of the weapon vs. recoil. Similar to shooting a heavy bullet vs. a lighter bullet.---- Go for it,but it,s not enough for me to worry 'bout.--------

Shot placement,shot placement,shot placement.....did i mention shot placement. Whether it is a .22 or a .45 its were you put it that will make the difference.
    Here is a drill i do every time i go to the range. I shot DOTS.
    I take a sheet of paper[8.5 by 11] with 4 rows of 3 dots per row. These dots are a little bit bigger than a quarter, a little bit smaller than a half dollar piece.
    At a distance of 4 or 5 yards[12 to 15 feet] i will draw and attempt to shoot the sheet clean. In other word 1 shot per dot, nothing out of the dot. Recently i have added to this a timer. I want to do this in less than 20 seconds with a reload[shoot 10,reload,shoot 2], I do this to simulate a stress type reload,my carry gun carriues 15 rounds.
    I have found this makes me really concentrate on my front sight as well as having proper mounting of the gun. This drill will really make a shooter get the basics down or he won't be hitting the dots.
    I also recommend daily dry firing practice.

Assistant Administrator
    I really think this is all but exclusive to high velocity rifles - for practical purposes.

The first ''cold'' shot from a handgun ''may'' be displaced slightly but IMO in a combat situation the error from user's grip, stress level etc will by far exceed an error from the gun. Talking too as we usually do of typical combat ranges - which we'll say is within the ''classic'' 21'.

If shot#1 is sufficiently controlled - meaning let's say ''non-panic'' - we can but hope! - then an inch is neither here nor there. I also from habit I guess always carry a fouled gun - once I have done a total clean and inspection I prefer whenever possible to shoot some rounds thru, to prove and foul.

I think the fouling may have as much effect on the 'cold' shot as actual barrel temperature - thinking handguns here. True, with rifles, temperature is very significant but then too so IMO is fouling ... and this is more match rifle/sniper rifle than your average MBR where groups will tend to be ''looser'' anyways.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Cold Zero for a handgun? uh, no. Defensive shooting is not bullseye shooting. I'd be better of practicing running from a cold start while drawing my gun. That's more on the realistic side.

You get points for thinking outside the box though. :)

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    anyone else go out and shoot 1 shot and see how accurate it is? I like to do this to judge my overall accuracy without a warm up. Same idea as sniper training. The first shot is the one you will be taking if it all goes bad.
    Yes. I do this every time I hit the range for handgun work. I don't touch my pistol until I get to the range. I put up my target, go back to the truck and unload. Then, I go straight to the target, draw and fire one round at speed, see where it hit, and then finish the magazine on the move.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

I think the point was more of a "cold" shooter than a cold gun....correct..??

Yes...the 1st set of drills is cold from the holster...then onto other drills. We normally leave the dead eye close as you can get em for the last 5-10 rounds...this boosts confidence as you leave...I know I have had bad shooting days while training and this helps the mindset.
    Brad B.

Links