KS CCW class

KS CCW class

This is a discussion on KS CCW class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm signed up for a KS CCW class in a few days, but I'm having trouble finding what's involved in it. Anyone from KS mind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KS CCW class

KS CCW class

I'm signed up for a KS CCW class in a few days, but I'm having trouble finding what's involved in it. Anyone from KS mind telling me so I know what to expect? I'm assuming basic handling and shooting, laws, tips on carrying, etc... What about the trip to the range? Thanks.

Basically you have it right about the class covering the laws, basic handling and tips on modes of carry. The class usually lasts 8 hours and breaks for lunch. You do have to shoot a qualifying course with both hands and one hand only. The farthest distance is 15 yards if memory serves. There is no caliber restriction, so you may qualify with a .22 target pistol if you like. You do not have to qualify with the weapon you will be carrying. If you do not have any handguns yet, some instructors may provide them with ammo for an extra fee. I hope this is helpful to you and good luck on your CHL.

From the AG's web site:
    K.A.R. 16-11-4. Weapons safety and training course. (a) Except as provided in subsection (d), each applicant for a license to carry a concealed weapon, as defined in L. 2006, Ch. 32, § 2 and amendments thereto, shall successfully complete either of the following weapons safety and training courses that have been approved by the attorney general when taught by one or more instructors certified by the attorney general, or approved by the attorney general pursuant to K.A.R. 16-11-2(f):
    (1) The attorney general’s “concealed carry handgun license program lesson plan,” dated July 1, 2006 and amended on October 19, 2006, which is hereby adopted by reference; or
    (2) any weapons course described in L. 2006, Ch. 32 § (b)(1)(D)(ii), and amendments thereto, that is determined by the attorney general to be substantially equivalent to the course identified in paragraph (a)(1). Internet, online, correspondence, and self-study courses shall not be approved.
    (b) To “successfully complete” means to obtain a passing score of 100% on an examination approved by the attorney general and to display proficiency with a weapon by shooting a minimum of 18 hits out of 25 rounds on a designated portion of a target approved by either the Kansas commission on peace officers’ standards and training or an equivalent body as determined by the attorney general.
    While the above doesn't give exact requirements for the live fire portion, during three different classes (mine, my wife's, & my daughter's) the same has been used for all three.
    5 rounds fired at 3 yards -- one hand unsupported.
    10 rounds fired from 7 yards -- one or two hand (supported) -- your choice.
    10 rounds fired from 10 yards -- one or two hand (supported) -- your choice.
    While the targets may vary by instructor, the "hit" section is roughly a 16" X 16" square.
    In observing over 50 shooters in the three classes, I've never seen anyone fail the written portion and only one lady failed the live fire and that was by only one round. You should have no trouble.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hoss is correct about the distance, I had forgotten that it is 10 and not 15 yards. Could be that I am getting "oldtimers disease".

In the class I took, if you missed questions on the test, you went over the question as a group with the instructor until you understood the right answer and then inititaled that you now understand. I'm not sure if it still counted as being wrong or what. No one missed more than two questions in my class.

The instructor should address every question on the test during the class, so if you listen and remeber what they talk about, it's hard to go wrong.

As for the shooting, I qualified next to a 70 yr old lady who was shooting a Kel-tec 380 and she passed, so it aint too tough.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

If you are familiar with everything that has been happening with KS CCW, your only problem might be staying awake for the 8 hours in the classroom...

I think things vary depending on the region where the class is given. It seems that most instructors on the eastern side of the state are more uniform in what they cover than on the western side of the state...

pm sent
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Thanks, that's the stuff I was wanting to know. I didn't know the written had to be 100%, but I don't see that being too tough. The shooting is at a 16x16 inch target? Cool, i was expecting smaller. I'm repolishing my pistol shooting skills over the next few days (fell out of practice with handguns over the last year) and my class is on saturday. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Thanks, that's the stuff I was wanting to know. I didn't know the written had to be 100%, but I don't see that being too tough. The shooting is at a 16x16 inch target? Cool, i was expecting smaller. I'm repolishing my pistol shooting skills over the next few days (fell out of practice with handguns over the last year) and my class is on saturday. Thanks again.
    It is correct that you can miss a question and still pass. I missed one out of stupidity. I knew the answer but for some dumb reason checked the wrong one. It may sound a bit cheaty, but let's face it. If you miss one and are called on it that's one you will never forget even if you forget all the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    It is correct that you can miss a question and still pass. I missed one out of stupidity. I knew the answer but for some dumb reason checked the wrong one. It may sound a bit cheaty, but let's face it. If you miss one and are called on it that's one you will never forget even if you forget all the others.
    Ya know, I've never understood the "100%" deal. It doesn't seem to matter whether you actually miss any questions or not. In our class, if anyone missed a question, they went over that material again so that everyone fully understood, but there was no requirement to take the exam over. The one lady who did actually fail the live fire portion, they had her take it again after everyone else was finished. I didn't hang around so don't know if she made it or not but considering she only failed by one round the first time through, I'm sure she did o.k.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The target for the live fire is roughly a bowling shape and is approx. 12 x 24 inches. It is the FBI Q target if that helps. We fired about a box of ammo apiece at a practice target before we shot the actual target. I assume that this was to demonstrate proper gun handling. All in all the shooting is almost to easy.
    Where all men think alike few men think at all

Our insructor said that if anyone failed to qualify on the range that day, they couldn't "do over" that day, because we had limited range time reserved.

However, they could practice as much as they wanted over the next days or weeks and then when they are ready they could call him and he would set up a time to meet with them to try to qualify again, no charge.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Sounds like the target gets changed occationally. Still haven't heard anything that sounds outside my capability. It's been a while since I've shot handguns much so I'm reteaching myself (not to flinch). I spent yesterday afternoon dry firing and intendend to do some more live fire today, but it's raining and I don't feel like cleaning the water off my pistol when I can just do extra tommorrow or the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by kaz View Post
    Sounds like the target gets changed occationally. ........
    I took my class in July of 06 from instructors that were with the first class graduated by the AG's office. They didn't even start issuing licenses until January of 07 but our CAS club put together a class as soon as there was an instructor available. At that time, I don't even think the AG's office was sure how things were going to work out and what targets to use. We used standard B27 targets that the instructors had penciled in a 16X16 area in the COM location around the X ring. You couldn't see the penciled in box while shooting, only when you got close enough to score the target. Both my wife (class in March of 07) and my daughter (class in March of 08) qualified on the bowling pin "Q" target as 40 s&w said.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Makes me feel like I'm making a good call practicing with paper plates, if I can hit that with 6 or more rounds out of 8 at 10 yards I'll be plenty okay. I'm gonna look up some of the targets I'm seeing referenced here though. I've made some silouette (I spelled that wrong didn't I?) out of an old liquid storage tank that I'm real proud of, but I wouldn't mind drawing some specific areas on them to make them even better though.

I passed. Shot better than I thought I would too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links