NRA Personal Protection OUTSIDE the home

This is a discussion on NRA Personal Protection OUTSIDE the home within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took this course last weekend. I have to take the course before I can take the instructors course...that I will take next month. ...

Thread: NRA Personal Protection OUTSIDE the home

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

NRA Personal Protection OUTSIDE the home

I just took this course last weekend. I have to take the course before I can take the instructors course...that I will take next month.
    This is a few good course....not a farnum or gunsite course, but pretty darn good...it does take some good instructors though, and some on the ball Range Safety officers...because you are on the range alot and coming from a holster everytime.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

2. Remove Ads

What part of MI? Who were your instructors?

Randy

VIP Member
    Good for you. I just finished the PPOTH Instructor course here in VA last weekend. I'll probably teach my first student course in October from the looks of it. The group I teach with requires Basic Pistol and PPITH before PPOTH.

-Grip Chest-Pull Chest-Rotate Chest-Join-Extend-Fire-Safety Chest-Reholster-
    I was hearing that in my sleep for awhile.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Thanks Scott...now I'm having flashbacks :-)

It is a very good course. I took it along with Inside the home for the instructors requirements as well.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok doc i am sure its a wonderfull course . however please enlighten us about the course and what you learned .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    PPOTH
    has a pre-req of PPITH
    for the money charged probably 150-200, it is a good course to teach a CCW permit holder how to come out of a holster, how to conceal, and how to progress or retreat to cover. A very good beginner course, that would make a ccw person more apt to train different, or pursue more training.
    Alot of small commands...with an emphasis on keep the weak hand safe and not sweeping it.
    our course was about 3 hours of classroom and 11-12 hours of range work.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

I became a certified instructor for PPOH last year.

-Grip Chest-Pull Chest-Rotate Chest-Join-Extend-Fire-Safety Chest-Reholster-
    OMG, if I had to do that ONE more time I was going to scream!

My opinion only: it took the NRA a decade or more to finally put that program together. In that amount of time, I expected a much better class than what it is. Hopefully in the past year they changed the student test they provided. There is no way I'd ever give that test to one of my students if it hasn't been changed. It was horribly confusing.

My co-instructor and I made the executive decision that we probably will never instruct a true PPOH class, but take aspects of that one and put our own drills together and have a much better advanced CCW class than what the NRA took a decade to come up with.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

VIP Member
    Ok, you asked for it.

Ready Position - Access - Grip Chest - Pull Chest - Rotate Chest - Join - Extend - Fire - Safety Chest - Reholster

Reduced Command Set
    Ready Position - Fire - Safety Chest - Reholster

I don't think the NRA was actually working on the PPOTH course for 10 years. Also keep in mind that this isn't the course that was written. It is the course after the lawyers revised it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I became a certified instructor for PPOH last year.

OMG, if I had to do that ONE more time I was going to scream!

My opinion only: it took the NRA a decade or more to finally put that program together. In that amount of time, I expected a much better class than what it is. Hopefully in the past year they changed the student test they provided. There is no way I'd ever give that test to one of my students if it hasn't been changed. It was horribly confusing.

My co-instructor and I made the executive decision that we probably will never instruct a true PPOH class, but take aspects of that one and put our own drills together and have a much better advanced CCW class than what the NRA took a decade to come up with.
    Just as an FYI the command sets for the PPOTH are there for a reason. Instead of giving commands by numbers, or colors, and making the student remember what they number actually mean. The words in the command sets tells the student exactly what to do. The first word targets the strong hand the second targets the weak hand.

Grip-Chest (given as one command) Tells the student to grip the pistol with the strong hand and weak hand to chest.

Pull-Chest " " Pull the pistol with the strong hand, weak hand still to chest
    Rotate-Chest " " rotate etc... etc..
    Join (single word) denoting what your hands are doing
    Extend " "
    Fire
    The commands throughout the lesson plan are targetting certian skills that are trying to be taught, by breaking movents down one thing at a time. Most Humans can only process one thing at a time thats why we (instructors) break things down to the fundamentals.

Only after a student has mastered the basic commands you give accelerated command sets.

Starting Position-->Fire

The course was also not in developement for a decade. It actually was only in development for about half a year. The spirit of the course was mentioned over 10 years ago; however, putting it together did not take that long. Unlike other NRA courses done in the past, PPOTH is by no means a beginner course. PPOTH is not course targetting a beginner, its design is to build of past pistol shooting skills that they already know. How their gun shoots, operates, flash site picture, point shooting, trigger reset, shooting from a barricade are all skills that an individual should have before going through PPOTH. Thats why the knowledge in Pistol, and PPITH are pre-reqs.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Links