Draw!

This is a discussion on Draw! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about learning some proper draw techniques. Can anyone tell me where I might find a good video or step-by-step on the web?...

Thread: Draw!

Draw!

I was thinking about learning some proper draw techniques. Can anyone tell me where I might find a good video or step-by-step on the web?
    mavis

2. Remove Ads

It would depend on how you carry.

Which ever way you choose to carry, I feel the best way to learn good technique is to practice.

I used to practice in front of a mirror and then with my eyes closed. When I felt confident with my draw, I then began dry fire exercises along with the draw - Adding more complexity to the exercise.
    I went slow and made sure the front sight was on target before I squeezed the trigger.

There is no reason to try for speed. Just get the gun out safely and get on target as quickly as you can. You will naturally get faster with more practice.

Follow good gun safety. Make sure the gun is not loaded. Dry fire only in a safe direction. Practice in a place where you will not be disturbed. Have your supplies(water, cloth to wipe sweaty hands, etc) close at hand.

Create a technique that works for you. Maybe use a number sequence like 1-2-3, for - find target, clear clothing, draw. You could add other elements as you get more comfortable.
    Take your time. Go slow. Focus.

EDIT: Oh, and I just thought of this. Maybe you are meaning 'grip' when you say proper draw? That's another topic...

See these two threads over at TPI for a brief rundown with pics (you have to register but it only takes a minute). note: this is for the 4-count Mod. Iso drawstroke.
    Total Protection Interactive

Total Protection Interactive

For good videos (with tons of stuff in addition to the drawstroke) check out "Fighting Pistol" from Tactical Response, and "Fighting Handgun Vol. 1" from ShivWorks.com
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    See these two threads over at TPI for a brief rundown with pics (you have to register but it only takes a minute).
    That is what I was asking about; I tried to register and registration is disabled. =( Oh well, I'll try again some time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLoad View Post
    It would depend on how you carry.

Which ever way you choose to carry, I feel the best way to learn good technique is to practice.
    Now, this advice seems to be sage-like. I wasn't concerned with grip, I learned a proper grip about 10 years ago in a "Firearms Safety and Utilization" course at a local community college (I don't think they offer it anymore). I think I remember most of what I learned there.

I've been doing pretty much as you suggest, but I was concerned it may not be enough. I feel kind of silly practicing in a mirror, but I can see the benefits of doing so and have been.

I would also like to work towards competing in an IPSC/USPSA events in the next couple of years, which is just more motivation to learn to draw and present on target quickly, accurately and with proper grip.
    mavis

Quote Originally Posted by mavis311 View Post
    I would also like to work towards competing in an IPSC/USPSA events in the next couple of years, which is just more motivation to learn to draw and present on target quickly, accurately and with proper grip.
    If that is your ultimate goal, I cannot stress enough, the value of training with a Master.

You can go to the USPSA web site and look for your part of the country, then find a Master or Grand Master that is teaching. Or you could go to one of the national gurus, like Todd Jarrett, Robbie Lathem, Matt Burkett, etc. There are several schools teaching action shooting too. You won't regret it!

Now is a good time to get training so you don't have to un-learn bad habits!

Agreed on Burkett. BrianEnos.com is also good, and Youtube has a surprising number of good offerings.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

I have been pleasantly surprised at some of the videos I've found on YouTube. Many of them seem to have been created by folks who, at least amateurishly, know a bit about what they're talking about. Many of them may be regurgitating what they learned at CCW class, but in lieu of anything less, they will suffice for a time.

I've checked the USPSA area-6 site and can't find any direct links to masters and GM's who may be willing/able to offer courses. I'm also somewhat busy at the moment, maybe I'll find a link this weekend when I have a bit more time.
    I did happen to see a video clip of Todd Jarrett teaching a course with a number of students and he seems like a qualified instructor. Can't wait to find out how much it would cost me to be instructed by him...

Thankfully, I'm in no big hurry. I won't have the time or $$$ to devote for a couple of years at least. Plenty of time to do research and self-training before then!
    mavis

Mavis311, PM sent...

Links