A PERSONAL RANGE question

This is a discussion on A PERSONAL RANGE question within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Railroad ties would work if you could get them lot of times there free if you will haul...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A PERSONAL RANGE question

Railroad ties would work if you could get them lot of times there free if you will haul

2. Remove Ads

We use a 60" x ~8' Sheet of 1/2" A36 steel angled at 45 degrees into a bed of sand. It is placed inside a wood structure to protect from the weather. We installed some 1/8" steel splatter shields on the sides of the main sheet of steel to protect the wood against the bullet splatter. The back of the structure is an 8'x8'x2' thick box of sand. We built a roof over the structure to keep out the elements and we have range storage behind the sheet steel to keep targets and such. We only use the range for pistols and 22 rifles the range has held up really well.

With my Dad being retired he usually is building "toys" for the range. It has come a long way since we first went the sandbag route. It is starting to look like a shooting carnival.
    Shoot well and be safe

-Don

"The trouble with our liberal friends are not that they're ignorant: It's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by joe/OH
    Rob72 - what's this about lead in the soil? I've never heard of it. Can you post any references?
    http://www.duedall.fit.edu/summer/rcra.htm
    http://www.epa.gov/Region2/waste/leadshot/lisfnyac.htm

found those here http://www.epa.gov/Region2/waste/leadshot/

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Since I am no expert on range building, I would enlist the services of the NRA. They will help you with legal issues, and also recommend the best method of stop for your situation. It shouldn't cost you anything for their expertise as long as you are a member. Just my $.02.

VIP Member

Lead Management

Lead management is a very serious issue for any shooting range. Also you need to consult your local ordinances on constructing a shooting range.

The EPA has a guide for lead management. The range I ran is EPA BMP compliant and that is a very good thing. There is a range in Oregon that lost 1.2 million dollars because they put lead in a stream and it went to the neighbors property. Not good.

Here's a link. Because the range I ran was in the DC area I was invited to the signing of the MOU (Memorandum of Understanding) that started all this stuff. Kind of interesting.

http://www.epa.gov/Region2/waste/leadshot/

I have also been to the seminar on constructing and running ranges where you get this book.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

When I was running a range and then chapter president I bought this book each year. We also had an NRA RTTA (Range Technical Team Advisor) come out and look over our operation each year. Not saying you need to do all that for a personal range, but buying the book and reading the free EPA BMP document could save you a lot of money down the road.

-Scott-

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Truck tires,two stacks,laid side by side.As high as needed. Ours are 8 feet or so. These are filled with crushed shale and sand mix. A 50BMG wont go through.This makes a backstop approx. 7-8 feet wide.---------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links