Best Place for Me to Begin?

This is a discussion on Best Place for Me to Begin? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a new shooter, though I have been able to properly fire a weapon for about three years. I own a shotgun and another ...

Thread: Best Place for Me to Begin?

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I am a new shooter, though I have been able to properly fire a weapon for about three years. I own a shotgun and another pistol (XD40). I would like to learn how to shoot properly (I may already know what I need to know...) before I start going to the range every two weeks w/my Dad.

I know there are combat classes, basic classes, etc. I know what a slide is, how it locks, where the mag release is, the rules of gun safety, where the off hand belongs, etc. Should I take a class or private lesson? If yes, specifically where should I start?

I am near Ft. Worth, Texas in Tarrant County.

Start with the basics, a good grip on the gun, trigger squeeze, sight alignment, breathing, all that good stuff. Once you get your basics down, start going for failure to stop drills (2 body 1 head) and the like. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Classes by a well recognized institution are always a good way to go, start with a basic level handgun class, if you lay a solid foundation, all the stuff you pile on top of it is more likely to work.

Also don't overshoot on your range session, I'd say definately under 200 rounds, with 50-100 probably being more practical.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Private lesson. Quail Creek shooting range is in your area and I believe their lessons are 35 an hour. A good instructor with one on one training will be able to identify many flaws that may get passed over in a 'classroom' environment. Also, Reborn and Ridgeline, 2 members of this forum offer tactical pistol classes in the North Texas area.

Group classes are great, but private instruction will guarantee you One instructor paying attention to One shooter.

It's much easier and much, much cheaper to learn it right the first time. You can go to the range every day, but if you are practicing the wrong techniques, you will have limited improvement. And limited improvement is pretty discouraging.

I would also step out of the norm, and say that 'dry fire' is much more useful than live fire at the range. If the only practice you do is with live ammo, you WILL begin to anticipate recoil. If your primary practice is dry-fire, than the 'recoil' will be a surprise and your round will go where you intended it.

Dry fire is how you get better. Sending ammo down range is the way you confirm that your dry-fire practice is working. Just my .02.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Dry firing... good idea! I had never considered that idea but it makes sense. So, unlimited dry firing is not bad on a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Dry firing... good idea! I had never considered that idea but it makes sense. So, unlimited dry firing is not bad on a gun?
    Depends on the gun...No problem with your XD.

Just one thing. Clear your weapon. Take all your ammo and put it a bag. Then put the bag in a drawer. Then put the dresser in the closet. Then baricade the closet. Then leave the room and lock the door.

Alright, that might be a little extreme, but please, take your safety seriously and make absolutely sure that you are not going to get a loaded magazine confused with an unloaded magazine.

Dry fire is great, especially for the XD. The trigger actually gets better after repeated firings.

Just remember: even when dryfiring, always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

You might also consider one of these.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

definately get some professional instruction.

here are some good places in the DFW area, the instructors are top-notch.
    Tac Pro Shooting Center - Classes
    Bluffdale firearms academy

and if you feel like doing a little travelling check this company
    Tactical Response
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Excellent links- thanks.

are there any videos out that cover some lessons? Nothing like hands on training, but it would be a great start

Quote Originally Posted by gicts View Post
    are there any videos out that cover some lessons? Nothing like hands on training, but it would be a great start
    The one I would buy first would be Shooting Missology from Tactical Response (take a look at the trailer on the site). I got it when it came out several months ago and have been very impressed with it. As it says in the description, it will improve your shooting regardless of your current level of skill and training. Their Fighting Pistol DVD is also excellent.

others that I really like (and that provide a great foundation of skills and drills) are Jim Grover/Kelly McCann's Defensive Pistol series and Inside the Crucible series. I believe both of these are available through Paladin Press.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I am a new shooter, though I have been able to properly fire a weapon for about three years. I own a shotgun and another pistol (XD40). I would like to learn how to shoot properly (I may already know what I need to know...) before I start going to the range every two weeks w/my Dad.

I know there are combat classes, basic classes, etc. I know what a slide is, how it locks, where the mag release is, the rules of gun safety, where the off hand belongs, etc. Should I take a class or private lesson? If yes, specifically where should I start?

I am near Ft. Worth, Texas in Tarrant County.
    I'm in NW Fort Worth, near the Lake Worth border. Where do you shoot or are consideirng shooting?

As for dry firing, I use snap caps in my Px4 Storm. You might want to check into them to see if you should use them.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Native- PM sent

Native- PM sent
    Replied.
    It is to be observed that Right of Self-Defence, arises directly and immediately from the Care of our own Preservation, which Nature recommends to every one. . . , and that this right is so primary, that it cannot be denied on the basis that it is not "expressly set forth.

--- Hugo Grotius

Links