Why Quick Kill is so effective

This is a discussion on Why Quick Kill is so effective within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It has been shown that spatial information can be acquired from both visual and nonvisual modalities. The present study explored how spatial information from vision ...

Thread: Why Quick Kill is so effective

Sponsor

Why Quick Kill is so effective

It has been shown that spatial information can be acquired from both visual and nonvisual modalities. The present study explored how spatial information from vision and proprioception was represented in memory, investigating orientation dependence of spatial memories acquired through visual and proprioceptive spatial learning. Experimentation examined whether visual learning alone and proprioceptive learning alone yielded orientation-dependent spatial memory. Results showed that spatial memories from both types of learning were orientation dependent.

Experiment 2 explored how different orientations of the same environment were represented when they were learned visually and proprioceptively. Results showed that both visually and proprioceptively learned orientations were represented in spatial memory, suggesting that participants established two different reference systems based on each type of learning experience and interpreted the environment in terms of these two reference systems. The results provide some initial clues to how different modalities make unique contributions to spatial representations.

This directly relates to our ability to learn the mechanics and to know where the bullets will go when using Quick Kill with either a rifle or pistol. Through the research of Proprioception, we come to understand the ability of humans to use the skills within the realm of threat focused skills such as Quick Kill with a pistol or rifle.

Bobby Lamar "Lucky" McDaniel first brought proprioception to the fore when he mentioned it in a book he wrote in the late 70's. The man knew the "why" threat focused skills work so well way back then, and it was lost on most with the exception of those who were fortunate enough to personally train with him. Ahead of his time, sorta speak.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

...extra info...for those like me that first said WTH? when I first started reading this thread...

Quick Kill

Another method of point shooting, developed by "Lucky" McDaniels and taught by the US Army beginning in 1967, was the "Quick Kill" method. It was taught using an air rifle, although the same techniques apply to handguns or shotguns. The Quick Kill method was outlined in "Principles of Quick Kill", TT 23-71-1, and was taught starting with a special Daisy BB gun that had no sights. The slow moving steel BB was visible in flight on sunny days, making it an inexpensive tracer round. The students began by firing at 3.5" diameter metal disks thrown in the air slightly in front of the student and 2-4 meters above the student's head. After an 80% hit rate is attained firing at 3.5" disks, the student is then presented with 2.5" diameter disks. Once proficiency is attained with the aerial targets, it shows the student has mastered the fundamentals, and training moves on to stationary targets on the ground, first with the BB gun and then with a service rifle having it's front and rear sights taped over.
    The reason the Quick Kill method works is that the shooter learns to sight above the barrel, rather than along the barrel. While focusing on the target, the muzzle is placed about 2 inches below the target (the 2 inches being measured at the muzzle), which places the barrel nearly parallel to the line of sight of the shooter. To hit the aerial targets, or other targets above eye level, the shooter focuses on the top edge of the target; When shooting at targets on the ground or below eye level shooter focuses on the bottom of the target. One of the points emphasized in Quick kill is that it is essential to focus on a single spot on the target, such as the top edge of a thrown disc, or the bottom edge of a can on the ground.
    The Daisy company commercially sold sightless BB guns and target throwers for a number of years under the name "Quick Skill", along with an instruction book that was a "de-militarized" version of aerial target portion of the "Quick Kill" course.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 17th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    retsupt99,

The QK rifle skills McDaniel [ not McDaniels as reported in Wikipedia ] developed in others in one or two hours is still available today in it's unadulterated form through my ITFTS program. I trained with McDaniel personally in 81 for two days, and it's taught the exact same way I learned it from the master himself.

Here's one students thoughts on his personal development with the proprioceptive abilities within the QK system we are all capable of, yet few truly know how to tap in to.

I learned Rifle Quick Kill in 5 minutes tonight! - Threat Focused Forums

The pistol Quick Kill narrative here for those who may not be aware of what we are discussing here:

Handgun or Pistol Quick Kill [ QK ] Shooting Technique - Threat Focused Forums

My apologies for not giving more background on the original post for others. Appreciate the posting of the information sir.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I wish that I could have met "Lucky" McDaniels.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Great read as always, rich with information.

The words 'spatial memory' have stuck in my mind. While reading that, I thought of a drill I've done with gun on ground, eyes stay on target, pick up gun, funny how you can 'find' it, fire.

After thinking of that, I laughed at myself over my profound insight. I've done that with the TV remote.

Links