Got accepted for LFI 1

Got accepted for LFI 1

This is a discussion on Got accepted for LFI 1 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to take 2 HK P2K's with LEM. I'm going to spend the time getting used to the trigger. Actually one of the fellows ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got accepted for LFI 1

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Got accepted for LFI 1

I'm going to take 2 HK P2K's with LEM. I'm going to spend the time getting used to the trigger. Actually one of the fellows on the HK website gave me advice that really works and I'm going to refine it.
    I got my prep package from Dorothy Ayoob and it includes a copy of In the Gravest Extreme. This is probably the 25th or so copy I've had of this book as I buy one for friends who are going to go through CCW courses.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the course... be sure to post a review of it will ya?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I took LFI-1 last year and it was excellent. If only there'd been an LFI-2 in my neck of the woods this year...

Take very good notes. Pick Ayoob's brain. Buy him a Rolling Rock at dinner after class. And here's hoping you walk away from the class with a crisp $1 bill in your pocket.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Where are you taking it and when? I'd love to read a review as well- we faxed in our applications this morning for a fall class.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Having taken it already, I'd be happy to provide some info. What sort of questions do you have?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Having taken it already, I'd be happy to provide some info. What sort of questions do you have?
    A general overview of the course would be great. Things you particularly liked/ disliked. Anything you wish had been covered in greater detail.

Thanks!

Heather

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdiver View Post
    A general overview of the course would be great. Things you particularly liked/ disliked. Anything you wish had been covered in greater detail.

Thanks!

Heather
    Yes please,

Reviews of classes and instructors are greatly encouraged
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Another question I'd add to the list (since I'm scheduled for the class too) is this: Does Massad Ayoob teach all the classes himself, or does he have other instructors working for/with him?

Brian

Benthic, Ayoob does teach the classes; however, one of the other LFI-1 instructors covered the first day of my class because Mas was held over in a trial at which he was testifying on behalf of the defendant (LEO facing an assault and excessive force charge). So, there can always be hiccups, but the LFI schedule is set so that Ayoob can teach the courses himself. He does bring a couple of other folks along, plus using RSOs from the hosting club, to keep things managable both in th classroom and on the range.

The class is about 50/50 lecture/range. The lecture portion does some basic gun safety and range rules the first day but is primarily about the legal aspects of lethal force in self defense. This is where you need to take really good notes, because this is the stuff that you will want to go back over later. The first day of class they will tell you how to use your notes as evidence on your behalf should you ever be tried in a self-defense situation. Pay attention to that, definitely. It is more stuff than is covered by Gravest Extreme, definitely.

The range time should not be considered a combat or tactics course. It is based on Ayoob's StressFire techniques (and you should read StressFire Pistol before the class if possible so you know what is going to be taught), and it focused around learning how to handle a gun in high-stress situations. Ayoob will cover, during the classroom part, body alarm reaction ("fight or flight") and the physiology of stress, and the techniques on the range are based around that.

I think the best thing Ayoob does is that he can exlpain why he teaches things (class and range) a certain way. He is also open to good discussion and he doesn't try to force his views down your throat, but you can be assured he has thought through what he teaches.

I think it was a fantastic course and once you take it you will look at a lot of the "shoot or not" threads on this board with a much more critical eye. I think it the course covered the topics very well, and I really didn't feel like it shorted anything. Again, the range time is not a combat class, so don't expect that going in. The thing that I liked most about the class was, without a doubt, Mas Ayoob. He is knowledgable, gracious (despite a somewhat, ah, salty sense of humor at times ), and very obviously interested in doing what he does.

If you are lucky, you will also end up with a crisp, new, one dollar bill signed by Mas Ayoob, like I have. He gives out one of those to anybody who ties his score on the range qualifier.

For those of you signed up for the course, PM me after you have taken it and I will be happy to give you access to the notes I took. Ayoob encourages each class to share notes with each other so that every student can compile the most comprehensive set possible, and I will be happy to help contribute to what you get out of the class.

kazzaerexys-

Thanks. This sounds like exactly what B. and I were looking for.

Heather

Kaz,

Yes, thanks very much! We'll be looking forward to the course! I have already read In The Gravest Extreme. Looks like I'll need to pick up a copy of Stress Fire as well.

Brian

Glad to help. Maybe one of you fine folks will end up in an LFI-2 course with me next year!

Glad to help. Maybe one of you fine folks will end up in an LFI-2 course with me next year!
    Well if you attend the one in Florida...

Brian

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I am really looking forward to it. I've been a fan of mas for a long time. Ed Stock of Gunsite and I served together for 6 years in the 19th SH Group and I'd like to see him again also.
    So Phx is where I'll be in Oct.

Are We Sure We're Talking About the Same Guy?

Buy him (Mas) a Rolling Rock at dinner after class. And here's hoping you walk away from the class with a crisp $1 bill in your pocket.
    He musta gotten cheap in his old age. As I recall, it used mean a five spot if you matched the score of his class demo target.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links