What should I take?

This is a discussion on What should I take? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to course in a week. Here is my dilemma. I was going into this course thinking I would shoot/ use carry rigs which ...

Thread: What should I take?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

What should I take?

I'm going to course in a week. Here is my dilemma.

I was going into this course thinking I would shoot/ use carry rigs which is usually in the 9mm Glock Family either My 17/19/34. Yes I really actually do carry my 34 sometimes in my MTAC and practice with it. However, I broke down and got a G21 SF .45, for reasons beyond my own comprehension. For those of you that know me (JD) I'm not big on.45 ACP nor do I shoot one regularly, and I have owned now about 10 .45s getting rid of all but the G21 SF from the simple stand point of I duracoated it; however, before I start a caliber war I recognize its usu fullness and respect those of you who choose to shoot/ carry said product (I'm still anti 1911). I'm pretty good with a 9mm however, I'm approaching this from two differen't angles.

Should I stay with what I know? 9mm Platform.
    I know thats the typical way of thinking is get proficient with what you got; however, I do shoot my 9mm Glocks a lot, in IDPA and in other training I do, and put them through the ringer by going about 1000 rounds before I consider cleaning them. Most of them are approaching/ surpassed at least the 5000 round mark; therefore, I'm pretty faithful in the reliability of them.

Should I shoot the G21 which has only got about 100 rounds through it to get use to a different recoil Signature and maybe try and get even more proficient with a higher energy caliber.

Things that are not relevant to the answer of this, cost of ammo, gear, I order an MTAC shell/ mag carriers for a G21 already JIC.

Please keep in mind I'm not asking 9mm vs. .45. which is better, caliber.

I'm asking stay with what I know and use/shoot almost daily.

Or try something new. Let me know.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Well, what exactly is the course, if it's something new that's really going to expand your skill set, I'd stick with what I know, as to try and get as much from the class without having to "learn" a new gun.

If it's something a little more run of the mill, sure try something new.

Learning new things is good, but if it's going to take away from learning something in the larger scheme of things...

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Well, what exactly is the course, if it's something new that's really going to expand your skill set, I'd stick with what I know, as to try and get as much from the class without having to "learn" a new gun.

If it's something a little more run of the mill, sure try something new.

Learning new things is good, but if it's going to take away from learning something in the larger scheme of things...
    Actually its in your neck of the woods well South Western VA, and its run by a very good instructor who's a member on this board.

I'm not saying I'm god's gift to shooting, by saying I think I'm good with the nine, but I've been burning to try this thing something more than just static shooting, and also wanting to put it through a little bit more turmoil then just your average range session. It is my night stand gun, and I'm very happy with it however, its just itching to be shot.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Actually its in your neck of the woods well South Western VA, and its run by a very good instructor who's a member on this board.

I'm not saying I'm god's gift to shooting, by saying I think I'm good with the nine, but I've been burning to try this thing something more than just static shooting, and also wanting to put it through a little bit more turmoil then just your average range session. It is my night stand gun, and I'm very happy with it however, its just itching to be shot.
    Sounds to me like you've all ready made your choice.

Mind sharing the details of the course via PM?

When you going to be around?

Why would you even consider taking a new gun to a course? You run the risk of discovering a factory flaw and spending all your time trying to fix your gun rather than focusing on the class. Also, I hate being in class with someone who is either learning a new platform or constantly having to repair a new gun. When you have issues, it effects everyone in your class. When I attend a school, I take two identical, well used guns. If one breaks down, I toss it into my range bag and grab the twin.

ranburr

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I'd say stick with the 9mm, for two reasons:

1. You're comfortable with and confident in it.
    2. The ammo is much cheaper.

I'd say shoot the 17 and take the 19 as a backup. I always shoot my 19 but since you have the 17 also, I think either would be fine.

Links