Defensive Carry banner

Threat Focused/quick Kill Pistol Class Review

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  AzQkr 
#1 ·
Threat Focused Training: Quick Kill Pistol AZ May 31-June 1 Review

I’d like to start with a little bit of history: I’ve known Brownie for a while and have wanted to take this class (along with others TFT offers) for quite some time. A couple of months ago an acquaintance of mine and I stopped by to see him and he showed me one of the basic principles of “point-shooting”, and I’ve been wondering/thinking about this technique ever since, even practicing “pointing” with my index/barrel every once in a while. When Brownie told me that he would be teaching a formal class on May31/June01 I told a couple of buddies and the aforementioned “acquaintance”. My buddies were busy/broke and the acquaintance told me he thought Brownie was “full of it/telling stories” and probably selling snake oil. Needless to say I still took the class.

One thing for certain: Brownie may be using “snake oil” to lubricate his firearms, but he wasn’t selling any. There wasn’t anything taught in the class that any of us couldn’t/didn’t pick up right away like it was second nature. The students ranged from those who had taken “formal” training, a sergeant (sheriff office), and a beginner. To tell the truth I was a little surprised by the round count the class called for, especially since I came to the class on a motorcycle (4-500 miles total) we shot less than originally called for but the high round count really helped in learning the different skill sets. I brought 9x 15rnd. mags and 1x 33rnd. mag so I didn’t have to reload as often, if you take this class bringing this many mags helps a lot.

My first obversation: almost no time was spent on reloads, tac reloads etc. this class was high speed and focused on shooting from the get-go. Brownie did stop and double check with everyone, making sure they understood the skills taught and asking if they had any questions. The firing line was kept very safe with no handling of firearms anywhere to the rear of it, and when moving/shooting was taught only one student went at a time with the remainder of the class watching from the rear.

I was amazed at both how much I shot and how the shots were placed, and especially at the fact that I hadn’t looked at my pistol or sights while shooting. I think everytime Brownie looked at me I had a smile on my face from learning new skillsets and having fun doing so. One thing Brownie pointed out in the beginning was that he would teach us some shooting techniques that all of us were already capable of, and I found this to be very true. To be honest I was concerned about the “repeatability” of these techniques, but when called upon to duplicate them I was able to do so on command.

Quick Kill Pistol is not a “competition” shooting class though the skills taught can be used in competition, it is a very direct “gunfighting” class. It’s really that simple, we were taught shooting from above the holster, from the hip, etc. and all of the students were able to draw/fire/make hits in one second or less. We were taught how to make multiple hits on target in the time that it takes most to draw and front sight press on an opponent. These are skills that will save your life in a “gunfight” and are skills that you can “own” once you are taught them, again because of the simplicity.

One subject/issue I want to cover is using sights: I’ve seen a lot of “debates” on the subject of point-shooting come down to people arguing the duller “points” of sights versus not using sights. Brownie does not teach people not to use sights*, he teaches them to stay alive long enough to “fight” to their sights (if needed), and not to use them as a crutch! In the class he even talked about following up with sights (headshots, etc.) once the gun is fully extended, and well after several c.o.m hits were already on target.

*Brownie actually does teach people how to shoot while not using sights and he has an impressive way of proving this. The “Green Dragon”! This is a military issue M1911 with a olive drab slide and frame which has no sights whatsoever, it doesn’t even have a dovetail cut for a sight (was filled in before refinishing). Brownie picked a target in the backstop about the size of a baseball and asked all of us to take turns shooting at it and I was amazed at how quickly and accurately we hit it (over and over again), the same goes for putting rapid shots on steel targets which we did plenty of.

Quick Kill Pistol was most impressive, I have to say that I was super-impressed with the “free” Quick Kill Rifle class that Brownie gave at the end of the first day of shooting, using a bb gun with no sights and a shotgun with skeet. Brownie was shooting with 2-4 other shooters, and while I was watching to see who got the hit on the skeet, I looked back at the group of shooters after the skeet was hit. To my surprise this is when Brownie lifted his rifle and “point-shot” a quarter to half dollar size chunk of skeet that had separated after the initial impact. This was done repeatedly when the “fragmented” pieces were 4-12 ft from the ground, and again no tracking, just point and shoot.

Another gem from the class was the disarms Brownie taught us at the end of day2, I’ve seen some pretty intricate disarms and have wondered whether they would actually work and known just from looking that others would never work. We were taught real “disarms” front the front and rear, with a few variables thrown in, and again I was quite impressed. I am confident that these will work in a real situation, and plan on practicing them quite a bit. No one was able to get a hit on Brownie while he was demonstrating these techniques, and we were shown how effective they were by using the same techniques on each other and Brownie.

I highly recommend this class and technique for any shooter, especially a beginner. Threat Focused Training will teach you to stay alive in a gunfight, it’s that simple! The technique is also very simple to perform once he teaches it to you, there was some serious "Zen" shooting going on at the class.
Godspeed!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I planned on writing this review a couple of weeks ago, and was reminded on Sunday when I took my kids to see a movie; afterwords we played some video game with a pistol control (paintball game) and after about a minute of using "FSP" I realized that I could use "Quick Kill".........I continued to mercilessly lay some serious hate on those poor suckers, I literally had to hand off my control to some kid to take over. And I was reminded that I needed to post an AAR.

This class had some great people in it, who I hope to train with again :wave:. One more note: in the video you saw of Tactical Compacts wife shooting= that isn't her gun, she just started shooting that Glock the same day (twice the grip of her own gun). And if there was ever a testament to how effective/learnable Quick Kill is it's how she shot after some training!

Brownie, thanks alot for the class (and all the "exters" you gave us)! Well done!

See less See more
#3 ·
Brownie,

You might have to travel or get a bigger shooting range with all the good reviews you've been getting lately

#4 ·
Eli,

I appreciate your taking the time to write a review on the Integrated Threat Focused Training Systems training provided in Flagstaff a few weeks ago.

I particularly appreciated your thoughts on Jesse's wifes vid clip where she was using a gun totally foreign to her [ I loaned her my g17 while Jesse got Mikes G22 ] as well as having a much bigger grip than her normal carry/practice gun. It speaks volumes about how easy the skills are to pick up and duplicate immediately [ which you mentioned as well ] even when you've been handed a firearm you are unfamiliar with.

Relative your "snake oil" comment:

My buddies were busy/broke and the acquaintance told me he thought Brownie was “full of it/telling stories” and probably selling snake oil. Needless to say I still took the class.

One thing for certain: Brownie may be using “snake oil” to lubricate his firearms, but he wasn’t selling any.

Priceless sir:tumbleweed:

"I continued to mercilessly lay some serious hate on those poor suckers".

Quick Killing video games:comeandgetsome:

We'll hook up again in the near future and get out to the desert for some play time.

Thanks again for your thoughts sir.

pgrass101,

The train has left the station and is gaining steam as we move down the tracks since Oct 05 with the first "Sightless in Tucson" ITFTS course where 7677 and Matt Temkin [ members here ] also co-instructed with myself for the three day event. The students are responsible for our successes in this endeavor, we're just conduits of the information and skills here.

Here's to all of the students who've attended and all the prospective students who may be interested in these skills in the future. :bier:

Brownie

#5 ·
I wanted to add that a good 70% of the course was using one handed shooting skills under 6 yds. That hadn't been mentioned by anyone in the reviews here.

It's important to be able to shoot with combat accuracy and good speed when the trouble starts at the ranges most SD situations present themselves.

Most don't shoot one handed near enough to be considered as proficient as their two handed skills are [ because they don't practice as much one handed ], and this course gets students to advanced proficiency levels one handed very quickly.

Brownie

#6 ·
Heck yeah, Eli! Glad you finally posted here! Good review. Mine's linked in my sig.

Brownie, what's the numbers look like as of now for October? I could very well have at least two other shooters. Sign me up for that class, too. I taking this again for sure.

#7 ·
SixBravo,

I haven't figured out a date yet but it will be one of the first two weekends in Oct. I have two presently that have committed to the fall course, plus yourself and two more would put us at 5 and we haven't even announced the dates yet. I understand there may be a few more just from this site that were interested last time but couldn't make it.

Eli will likely be there with a few of his buds next time now that they know I'm not selling snake oil. :rofl: That would be close to a full class [ 8 ] right there. If anyone wants to pm me here with interest in the next course in Flag, feel free to do so. I'm taking no more than 12 students for Flagstaff.

I think we could fill the class again fairly easily, but I'm waiting to see if I'll be training on the road the first week of October. Should be firmed up in another month, then I'll announce the dates for Flagstaff here and elsewhere on the forums.

Brownie

#8 ·
Brownie,

You can put me down for sure. I will need some help getting to range because my new car has no chance of successfully negotiating that road. But I'd walk it to participate...

#10 ·
Okay, we're going to be back in Flagstaff Oct 4th and 5th folks.

If you are interested in this course, and were not able to attend a few months ago, email me at arizonaqkr "at" yahoo dot com and we'll get a roster running.

Brownie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.