Arm Posture?

This is a discussion on Arm Posture? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hired a trainer to give my wife and daughter shooting lessons. In his instruction on posture and stance, he told them that their elbows ...

View Poll Results: How should your arms be held?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Elbows locked

11 23.91%
  • Arms fully extended but not locked

35 76.09%

Thread: Arm Posture?

Arm Posture?

I hired a trainer to give my wife and daughter shooting lessons. In his instruction on posture and stance, he told them that their elbows should be locked. My training was always for "fully extended but not locked." What's the wisdom here?
    Gene
    Shooting for over 60 years!

2. Remove Ads

That depends. When I fire rapidly (double taps, mozambique drill) locked works better for me since it sends the recoil absorption duties to my core, which is of course stronger than my arms. But if I'm running around at low ready... or need to make a very carefully aimed shot... then I prefer extended but no where near locked.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Never locked and sometimes not fully extended
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

My strong or shooting arm has elbow locked one or two handed and especially if I'm firing one handed. My support or weak hand arm elbow is not locked but fully extended for two hand shooting if that makes any sense.

It depends what i'm doing I think the arms extended both elbows locked will be more able to learn and repeat sight alignment and control but if i'm shooting defensively gun hand extended not locked support hand elbow not locked and may be held against torso for support
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First off, I've gotta give you enormous credit for hiring someone to teach them to shoot rather than doing it yourself! It doesn't always work out very well if we try to teach our SO's something no matter how good we are at it! Ask me how it worked out for me trying to teach my wife to golf..........

Disclaimer.....I am not a professional instructor by any means.....just a guy who's been shooting a long time and can make the hole appear close to where he wants it to. It won't hurt my feelings at all for the pros out there to tell me that I'm full of beans!

I shoot without my arms locked.....sort of a modified Weaver stance, but I initially teach new shooters to shoot with their arms locked.......the arms form an isosceles triangle and allows for a very natural point of aim. The locked arms also seem to help prevent limp-wristed failures with autos and helps control recoil. For me, these seem to combine to give the newer shooter a positive experience and allows them to become comfortable with shooting and to get used to actually hitting a target before moving on to other techniques. Additionally, for someone only interested in learning enough to be able to use a gun in a defensive scenario, it teaches a form of instinctive point shooting that won't break down in a stressful situation and provides plenty of inherent accuracy at self-defense distances.

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Ask me how it worked out for me trying to teach my wife to golf..........

I feel safer when my wife has a gun than when she pulls out her driver.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I go both ways.........depends on what sidearm I'm shooting.

I never locked my elbows or fully extended my arms prior to owning a Glock. I could NOT square-away my groups with my 'new' G23 until my LEO/SWAT team neighbor 'strightened' me out......locked and fully extended right arm. I then began punching the 10 ring outta every target.

When I try that posture with my duty sidearm (M9) you'd think I was shooting at houseflies.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Arms fully out, but elbows not locked...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Arms fully extended, but not locked. Rationale (as explained to me) is that if you have a new threat emerge from a sharper angle, you can respond easier and faster with unlocked elbows. Seems to work for me in IDPA (thankfully, I haven't needed to draw in public since 1992). I've seen fellow competitors with locked elbows take more time and have more gun movement .
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Isosceles stance with locked arms.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

As always situation dictates, when I pull the trigger elbows are (almost always) locked.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Sponsor
    Couldn't vote for one or the other. There should be no set rule of how you shoot two handed, but instead one would be better advised to use whichever skills set works best for the situation at hand.

Most of the combative training should be shot one handed out to 15 feet anyway, and the two handed skills used past that approximate range.

Iso is good, mod iso is good, weaver is good, so it's situational. I train for elbows locked in Iso [ a precision shot ], elbows bent for fast and furious work on multiples and can move from either into Weaver and back into them without redirecting my feet as targets present themselves.

If you are using one almost exclusively, you're training to solve any problem with one skills set all the time, and that will lead you down a narrow path which may not always be the best solution at the moment of truth.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Administrator
    I really could not vote in the poll the way it was set up either.

To answer your one question...."What's the wisdom here?"

The wisdom would be to hire a more reality based and versatile trainer.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I picked the second option. I like the Weaver stance as it feels natural to me and I shoot best when I am in a Weaver stance.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Links