Dummy training rounds?

This is a discussion on Dummy training rounds? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; hey yall, I was wondering if anyone sold any training rounds that were made to purposely make a gun jam in various ways. What I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dummy training rounds?

Cool Dummy training rounds?

hey yall,

I was wondering if anyone sold any training rounds that were made to purposely make a gun jam in various ways.

What I mean is, the rounds are real live rounds, but designed 40% defective so as to call various malfunctions. Maybe one will have less powder, or designed to hang up inside the gun.

Maybe its a stupid and dangerous idea lol. After fixing the problem with my 1911 never having been oiled in its entire lifetime I haven't had a malfunction in any gun I own in over a year of shooting every few days.

I just wanted to practice and be prepared for anything, but I guess the changes of me getting into real trouble and needing a gun and my glock 30 jamming at the same time are almost next to nothing lol.

2. Remove Ads

JaredT,

Check out my post below yours!

Training the Immediate Action Drill

Tom Perroni

maybe I should have posted my question in there lol. I was kindof hinting at random problems, ones you don't know are coming.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JaredT View Post
    hey yall,

I was wondering if anyone sold any training rounds that were made to purposely make a gun jam in various ways.

What I mean is, the rounds are real live rounds, but designed 40% defective so as to call various malfunctions. Maybe one will have less powder, or designed to hang up inside the gun.
    Less powder is bad, very bad, to little powder can cause a big malfunction by causing a squib round and possibly force you to blow up your barrel.

well scratch the hell out of that idea, but is there anything that can be done to make a bullet similar to like I'm looking for?

well scratch the hell out of that idea, but is there anything that can be done to make a bullet similar to like I'm looking for?
    JaredT,

Yes you can use 'Snap Caps" or the Orange "Training Rounds" sold at almost any gun store . and use the drills I listed in my post.

Hope this helps!

P.S.

In regards to JD's post:

Cartridge “Ammunition” Malfunctions

1.Misfire- a failure of the cartridge to fire after the primer has been struck by the firing pin.

2.Hang fire- a perceptible delay in the ignition of the cartridge after the primer has been struck by the firing pin.

3.Squib load- development of less than normal pressure of velocity after ignition of the cartridge.

Action to be taken:

When a cartridge fails to fire immediately, it will not be known at first whether the problem is a misfire or hang fire. Keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction- a hang fire condition might exist and the cartridge could still fire. Wait at least 30 seconds before opening the action and removing the cartridge.

If anything unusual is noticed when a shot is fired, such as a difference in recoil or noise, the shooter should stop firing immediately. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction for 30 seconds then unload the pistol. Check to be sure the chambers are empty. Then with the action open, visually inspect the barrel to be sure that it is not obstructed. Squib loads can result in a bullet failing to exit the barrel. If the bullet is lodged in the barrel, the firing of another shot could cause serious injury or damage.

Once any of the above situations occurs all the ammunition in that lot is suspect and must be disposed of properly.

JD
    Administrator
    Well, what exactly are you looking for? A dummy round that will cause stove pipes, nose down jams, and misfires?

I'd dare to say that your best options is to have others load your training mags at the range, using snap caps, and empty brass.

Both will simulate misfires, and the empty brass may cause feed jams.

I don't know of any dummy rounds made to cause a particular type of jam, and I wouldn't try to alter them in any way to make them more of an obstacle than they all ready are. It's no fun having to take your gun apart at the range as a dummy round with a ripped off case is stuck in your chamber, or stuck on your extractor.

I have a couple types of dummy round, I have A-zoom snap caps, Pachmayer snap caps and just some generic ones like these:

None of them will cause a specific jam.

You might be able to alter some of this style dummy round to achieve failure to feed issues, it's a softer plastic and shouldn't cause damage to your gun if altered, but personally, I wouldn't try that either.

Those are the ones where I've had the fun jam of a broken case rim, as the case of the dummy round was ripped apart by the extractor on my Colt.

good tips

oh ok, I had the wrong idea bout dummy rounds, i thought they just went click and you racked the slide and were done with them.

JD
    Administrator
    oh ok, I had the wrong idea bout dummy rounds, i thought they just went click and you racked the slide and were done with them.
    That is what they are supposed to do, nothing.

The issue I had was that the dummy rounds were old and highly used. They weren't supposed to break in the gun and give you a double feed during your tap, rack, bang, that was just an added bonus for me since I was such a good student.

Guaranteed to jam ? Yes, I call them "winchester white box" :-)

lol I own a glock.... lol

Stick to the orange dummy rounds or snap caps. I use both and set up my malfuntions and practice, practice, practice.

these are the ones that I use
    Law Enforcement Targets, Inc. - Dummy Rounds
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Guaranteed to jam ? Yes, I call them "winchester white box" :-)
    wow, I've never had a single malfunction of any type, nor any ammo failures with WWB JHP or FMJ, 9 or 45, and thats thousands of rounds

I bought some snap caps and do trigger practice and clearance drills
    works great
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I do not know if you reload but what I did was make up a 20-30 rounds with no primer or powder. I also make sure to mark them up with a black marker so that thre is no way to get them confused with a live round. I now use them for dryfire/ reload practice so I am dealing with the same weight in the gun and can also mix them in to live ammo in a mag to simulate a bad primer which will help you work on clears and show you if you have a flinch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links