LFI-1 Class

This is a discussion on LFI-1 Class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, it just completed Massad Ayoob's class today and I've got to say it was one of the most challenging things I've done in a ...

Thread: LFI-1 Class

LFI-1 Class

Ok, it just completed Massad Ayoob's class today and I've got to say it was one of the most challenging things I've done in a while. I'm relatively new to owning a hand gun (6 months) and I was practicing for shooting qualification and my Bersa .380 failed right before the qualification test. I had no backup so I had to take the test with my buddy's P94 9mm ruger. I never shot the thing before so I think you can understand my apprehension. I did well and passed. My buddy checked out by Bersa last night and there was a spring that broke in the handle that returned the hammer. This gun up to that point only had about 6-700 rounds through it. I have two questions. 1. Does anybody know if this is a common occurrence with these pistols? I'm really concerned that if I get it fixed it may not go bang when I need it to. 2. Can I get some recommendations on a good gun for concealed carry that would be reliable should I need to replace it?

2. Remove Ads

I'd go with a Sig P239 in .40 S&W. if you want to stay small or a 229 for something bigger.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I recommend the Kahr P9 or CW9, 9mm. They are almost identical. The CW9 being slightly less in price. The size and weight are perfect IMO for IWB carry. I carry in a Bianchi # 100 IWB holster at 3 o'clock, right under my right elbow. Very comfortable.

Congrats on passing the class!

You are very well prepared if you pay attention in glass, or so I've been told. I haven't been able to attend LFI yet, but it's on my "short list". I'll probably go in 2009.

As far as the Bersa, I'm not too familiar with them so I'm not able to help with that. This does however bring to light an important point. It's always good to have more than one gun in the same caliber in case of a malfunction.

Biker

Thanks everyone, I'm off the the Sig and Kahr websites to do some research. I like the ideal of having more than one gun in the same caliber. HMMMM. How do I present that to my wife as a good idea?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    My Ruger P345 failed in the middle of the cover crouch/high kneel/low kneel stage of the class qualifier. It did a double-feed on the last round of the first magazine of that string.

I was ready to clear it but Ayoob pulled the gun out of my hands and stuck his SIG P226 in its place. I had never touched a SIG before. I finished the qualifier, didn't drop a shot, and my 300/300 got me a signed dollar bill from Mas.

I now own five SIGs and the Ruger is on consignment to sell.

Congrats on the class. I have, until this point, heard pretty much nothing but good things about the Bersas around here, so this might have been a fluke. As for recommendations, I just got a P239 in .40S&W and am liking it a lot. Very accurate. It's heavy for the size (like a lot of SIGs), but I presume that helps with the accuracy.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Jerry I'm going to LFI in Phx this year. I'm going to take 2 HK P2K's.
    Didn't Mas give an opinion on the Bersa? I do have a friend who carry's the 9mm Bersa that looks to be a pretty good copy of the Mauser P-88 at 1/3rd the price.
    I'm trying to get used to the LEM trigger on the H K and am actually getting pretty good at it.

Links