Quick laser question (it's brief, I promise!)

This is a discussion on Quick laser question (it's brief, I promise!) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got done doing some dry-fire exercises with my pistol and, as can only happen when I'm either dry-firing or on the throne, I ...

I just got done doing some dry-fire exercises with my pistol and, as can only happen when I'm either dry-firing or on the throne, I had an idea. Could even be a good idea (y'all be the judges).

Would it be a good idea to, while dry fire practicing, have a temporary laser sight installed for the sole purpose of seeing where your pistol is aiming when shooting "from the hip*"? It wouldn't be on every shot, 'cause I'm still against laser sighting, just a few each time you practice said maneuver so you can see where the shots should go when you pull the trigger. Instead of using the laser as a sighting system, what about using it as a verification system?

*By "from the hip," I mean from waist-level using your body to aim the shot? This is strictly a draw-tilt-shoot type of drill, not cowboy-style shooting.

Thoughts?

-B

Senior Moderator
    Why not?
    If it helps your shooting, that what matters.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Your instincts are on target. You can get this DVD for free from Crimson Trace on using a laser sight as a training aid. Your technique and more are presented. Crimson Trace :: Shots In The Dark DVD
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Well, the reason I wanted feedback on it was because I have a great distrust for lasers as sights. Things break. Batteries die. Lasers are tiny dots to try to find when S really HTF. But using it as a tool to verify where you're aiming your weapon, but not often enough to grow accustomed to looking for the dot... now that has some promise.

Has anyone used lasers in this fashion before?

-B

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Well, the reason I wanted feedback on it was because I have a great distrust for lasers as sights. Things break. Batteries die. Lasers are tiny dots to try to find when S really HTF. But using it as a tool to verify where you're aiming your weapon, but not often enough to grow accustomed to looking for the dot... now that has some promise.

Has anyone used lasers in this fashion before?

-B
    Yes, I have, and I have also used lasers to work on my trigger pull during dry firing. It's much easier to see if you are moving the gun during your trigger pull with a laser because of instant feedback.

I believe they definitely have there place in helping with training.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I use my pistol with M-6 attached for this sort of practice. It's my night time choice for home. I'll flick it on just prior to the trigger pull to verify. I also do the house clearing exercises with the flashlight/laser after aiming for known reference points in the house. The only thing I can take out from the throne is the switch plate by the door, and at seven feet, point shooting or from the hip (seated on the throne) would be a hit no matter what. The laser is just another tool. Use it however you may, but you'll likely come out better for it and gain some confidence concerning your instinctive or purposeful aiming abilities.

Administrator
    I have, do yourself a favor and buy a el cheapo clamp on deal. There is no sense in wasting a lot of money on a decent unit, because you will find out rather quickly that you will be pretty accurate with instinctive shooting if you let your instincts work and not fight against them like most shooters try to do.
    It will work for what you described, but after you do this a few times, the laser will be sitting in your sock drawer going unused.
    "Just blame Sixto"

When I bought my SW1911 with Crimson Trace grips that was my intention all along. Its a great training aid. Trigger pulls and point shooting are much easier to learn with a laser in dry fire exercises and much cheaper than doing it all on the range.

I think you will find that MOST folks who own lasers use them for training and at the most for intimidation factor and not for actual defensive aiming.

matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Have seen them used before

In an NRA basic pistol class the instructor used one of the laser "boresighter"(actually inserted into barrel snuggly) types to help students get an idea of the basic sight picture before moving to live ammunition. and It would do what you are looking for which is a verification well IMHO.

Administrator
    Well, I think folks should really get over their distrust of lasers concerning the functionality of the Big Two. They would be Crimson Trace and LaserMax. Both have phenomenal quality control.

I mean the US Military has gotten over that distrust as well as nearly every Fed, State, & Local LE Agency.

Let's look at a few things so that we can begin to trust them more.

Crimson Trace has no moving parts with the exception of a simple pressure switch.
    The pressure switch is waterproof as are the entire newer units. SO....the pressure switch will always go ON...and if it ever were to "break" (Extremely RARE) it would break by staying ON.
    The laser unit itself is set/sealed in Epoxy resin and they are good for What? 100,000 hours? LaserMax "ON" tests each laser for 100 "ON" hours. Also the laser light source/emitter is not like a light bulb that you buy and three weeks later...you turn on the light and it burns out.
    They do not just burn out.

Naturally, you have batteries that need to be occasionally maintained but, you also always need to remember to load your firearm.
    I guess remembering to change your batteries once every year or twice a year should not be too difficult.

Some LaserMax internal laser units need special parts added to replace the factory parts in order to switch the unit on and off.

Those LaserMax parts meet or exceed the OEM QC specs so that is not a problem.

I would guess that at any given emergency moment it is more likely that your firearm will fail than your laser sighting system.

I could go on but, in short if you can trust your firearm then you can also trust the high quality laser.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wally-World has a cheap laser in the section with the BB and airsoft guns. .....it has the picitinny rail attachment and should work for dry-fire exercises. I wouldn't use it for anything else though.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

SIXTO, goldshellback, that's kinda what I was looking at. Grab a little pen laser or something like it and ghetto-rig it to the firearm somehow; it'll be cheaper than any of the designed sighting systems and still do what I want it to do (is there any problem 100mph tape and paracord can't solve?) Probably find a way to tape it to the frame near the grip so my thumb will rest near it (can't exactly use my off-hand if it's only one hand I'm practicing with).

QKShooter, that's not entirely the point. I understand those two systems are pretty rugged; you'll find no argument from me there. The point is, though, they're systems, and aren't designed for training purposes like the one I described. Is $300 and up a good price to pay for a training tool that's only going to see occasional use, on the order of a few times per hundred dry fires? That would take some convincing.

(I'm intentionally avoiding another discussion about lasers as primary sights; been down that road before, as most of us have, and this topic's solely about using lasers as diagnostic and corrective tools.)

-B

+1 on a great training aid
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Oh...I hear you BAC.
    I know that on Ebay they show a lot of tiny keychain lasers and they are super cheap. AKA $5.00 being the EXPENSIVE ones.
    Possibly some with a small enough outside diameter to fit inside a handgun barrel.
    I'm guessing that it would always need to stay on during draw practice though.

The only problem that I would see with taping a laser unit outside the handgun in line with the bore is that it would not then fit inside any of my carry holsters.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The only problem that I would see with taping a laser unit outside the handgun in line with the bore is that it would not then fit inside any of my carry holsters.
    To be honest I didn't even think about that. With my holster in my lap (yard clothes = no IWB holster), I see where that would be a problem. I might have to get one of those tiny ones to put in the barrel. Do they make one that would fit in the chamber or something? The AimSHOT looks perfect, 'cept you can't dry-fire the weapon with it.

-B

Links