How quickly can you be ready to defend your family? - Page 2

How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you be ready to defend your family? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm an on call type too... I think I'm better prepped to go to war while in bed than when I'm hanging out doing whatever. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

Administrator
    I'm an on call type too... I think I'm better prepped to go to war while in bed than when I'm hanging out doing whatever. I have all my raid stuff within reach, and a large pelican case full of cool toys, my own 870 and 228 are always ready.

I hope the BG who decides to wake me up brings a change of drawers with him, cause he is going to have a real live honest to goodness operator greeting him. I might even DD my own house for effect. I get angry when awakened abruptly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    My gun and flashlight is right next to the bed. I sleep in a tank top and shorts. I have no need to put any other clothes on.
    I sleep in my boxers or tighty whities. I have no need to put any other close on..... lol

I wear my Superman PJ's...I'm ready

Actually, my Kimber, Surfire, and OC are touchable from my bed. I'm never out of reach of a firearm at home...I carry it from room to room, and sometimes it's on my person.
    In the middle of the night, my Kimber is only moments from 'working'. I also practice peering around walls, and walking through the house to present my weapon to both doors. My shorts and T-shirt are all I need to 'fight crime' anywhere on the property.

Stay armed...especially at home...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ok, I'll jump in here and lower the curve...

I'm blind as a bat without the contacts. I have kids.

So I'm the one fiddling around in the closet opening the safe while hollering at the spouse to get his glasses on so he can go see what's making the guineas/geese/assorted other fowl sound off.

Should the professional BG enter, we'd probably be dead--guineas or not.

Should the errant idiot BG kick in the door, well....there's always prayer.

Should my kids get up and wander around in the dark, they will never get a gun pointed at them.

I can live with this.

Currently the 1911 with reloads, 6pLED, cell phone and M4 with reloads. If I had time to throw on the jeans then I'd have pockets and a holster to throw on, if not then I'd stick with the M4.

I'm pretty good at moving quickly when awakened right from my slumber, maybe grumpy, but I can move fast (Thank you Drill Instructors).

I'd probably skip getting fully dressed, and hope my pasty tattooed body would give any surviving bg's nightmares.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I keep my cargo shorts and a tank top at the area my feet hit when I sit and turn (Dad was a firefighter) and in my night stand is my flashlight and cell phone on top. Just in in front of the night stand, so if I simply drop my arm down is the button area of my pistol safe. So I would ready to rock in short order. I have a shottie just inside the master closet, last stand area.

My problem is the way my house is designed my kids are on the other end, separated by 2 living areas; so I would HAVE to leave the room. Even though we have worked up a plan for the older 2 to grab the younger 2 and jumping out the window and a sprint to the neighbors' to wake them up. I would still have to go check on them, so the battle will be in the middle of the house for me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

As a former boyscott I still live by the motto "Be pepared"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    If I'm not wearing my contact lenses, my glasses are on the headboard.

There's a .45 Springfield XD Tactical with a spare mag and a flashlight within easy reach, even when I'm lying down.

There's a Mossberg 500 with a sidesaddle in a rack just over the bedroom door.

I'm not worried about clothing. I'm not shy. Let the BG worry about the angry naked fat old dude.

If I'm not asleep, the room I'm usually in has the rest of my guns, including the AR-15, as well as an extensive collection of combat cutlery, including a machete and a katana.

3 of my handguns and the shotgun are ALWAYS loaded, and I keep two AR mags loaded.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I will reach my firearm before my flashlight . The two is all i need . yall make all the " nekked redneck " jokes you would like to , but my point is that i reach at minimum a pistol and a flashlight before i bother to roll over in bed . If i walk down the hall i am better armed tho only better dressed by a " grab bag " slung on my right hip lol . If inital look over does not find anything , well ill put pants on and inspect the rest of the property .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member
    Great thread! I have a 20 gauge with #2 buckshot and 2 slugs interspersed in my "aznav" homemade shottie bed rack. (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...tgun-rack.html)
    Steyr 40 on the floor with mag light next to it. Got some great ideas from this thread:
    1. Sleep in shorts and t-shirt
    2. Shoes by the bed
    3. Hide a shottie in another part of the house.
    4. Have a grab bag of "goodies".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Sgt. Mac
    I'm not worried about clothing. I'm not shy. Let the BG worry about the angry naked fat old dude.

Hey I'm not mad at you for fighting naked. I just hope it isn't a family member coming home at the wrong time.

AMH
    Shotgun, rifle, pistol (all fully loaded) next to bed with flashlight. I sleep nude and will fight the same way if needed.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

hrm...well, no family yet, but for myself I think I'm good to go.
    I always have my 1911 within reach. If I can't get it without getting out of bed...there's problems(daily carry 1911 is always on the dresser within reach and another 1911 strapped to the back of the headboard).
    I had been sleeping with it under the pillow (yes it can be done...just a slight adjustment period is necessary), but I kept hitting my head on the darn thing in the middle of the night as I would occassionally move. So...back to the dresser.
    I "preload" my pants and gear for the next day and almost always have everything important(shoes, pants, shirt) laid out in the same place every day so I can literally roll out of bed and be ready to go.
    Small subrifle tacked to the back of the door if the SHTF and the 1911's fail for some odd reason.
    Various cutlery stashed all over the friggin place (including one dandy piece with a magnet built into the kydex so I can tag it to a piece of metal on the underside of the bed frame).
    One heck of a blinding LED flashlight is always next to the gun.
    Bugout bag and medkit are always stashed in the car.
    No glasses or contacts to worry about compliments to LASIK.
    Oh yeah...and a 4-legged eating machine(Pit) always sleeps between me and the door.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I too spent many years as a fire fighter so getting up in a hurry still isn't much trouble. I have my XD45 laying on my dresser on my side of the bed with my winchester 1300 right beside that. My LED light is on my side of the headboard, Wife has the Ruger LCP on her side with her LED tach light next to it. I hope trouble doesn't ever come knocking because we might just have to knock back

If Iím really tired I'll have a 12gauage next to the bed for the night Ė if Iím not really tired Iíll keep it in the closet. I sleep light and wake up to even slight noise, unless really exhausted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links