How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you be ready to defend your family? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AMH ...I sleep nude and will fight the same way if needed. TMI TMI... la la la la la la la la ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    ...I sleep nude and will fight the same way if needed.
    TMI TMI... la la la la la la la la la.... I'm not listening! And certainly not looking!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

After discovering this site I have become more aware of my need to be prepared. I even went out and bought a HD shotty.

My set up:

No kids or anything to worry about so I have my Sig P220ST loaded and ready with an extra mag on my nightstand. A Mossberg 500 between the bed and nightstand loaded with 00 buckshot, slug, mag 00 buckshot, mag 00 buckshot, slug. My AR15 is behind the door (the door is right beside me) with a loaded 20 rd mag and my flashlight and cell are within reach. I have a pitbull and lab in the room as well and the pit is protective and barks at the slightest noise so I don't think anyone is going to be sneaking in. I guess its worth a little lost sleep for him to keep me more aware. Hopefully I have everything covered.

Good set-up and welcome to the forum metalman!

Hope you continue to hang out here and become an active member!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    TMI TMI... la la la la la la la la la.... I'm not listening! And certainly not looking!

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

The idea of a "goodie bag" is great. I am going to put together one of my own.

Great thread

good thread.

my heat is w/i arms reach of me in bed. the good thing about my house (which is brand new) is that the chandelier in my hallways area lights up the living/kitchen area great and its w/i 2 feet of my bedroom door. If i am not asleep, my heat is either on me of w/i a few feet of me.

i didn't think of keeping my car keys close by...i will now. my cell and wallet are also next to my heat at night.

i sleep in boxers, but i may not put on clothes because the site of a big, chubby guy with a gun may cause heart failure in the perp before i have a chance to pop him.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    In bed and something goes bump in the night: First my glasses are on my nightstand right in front of the alarm clock so they are iluminated and easy to find. Then I grab my gun and mags that go in my cargo shorts' pocket and... a fan remote control plus a surefire. On the other side of the bed Mrs Miggy has her own gun and surefire. We have our regular phone plus our 2 cell phones.

This is a very simple floor plan of my house. The blue lines represent doors to the outside and the easiest way to break into the house. The orange lines are bedroom doors. If I hear something going bump, I plan to stay in my bedroom. In order to get in the bedroom area, the BG has to go into a narrow hallway and here comes the remote. In the living room I have a nice 52" blade ceiling fan with 4 light bulbs that give a nice light and all controlled via handheld remote. If I hear the BG coming towards the bedroom, I'll click the remote and I will have a nice silhouetted BG against white walls. At least that is the plan. I am NOT going searching for an BG into the night, lights or no lights.

Now, If I am awake, there is always a firearm either with me or about 3 or 4 steps from me. Those guns not on me are located in hidden but easy to access locations.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have a revolver and pistol by the side of the bed. One for me and one for my wife. I also have a flashlight right next to them. My long gun safe can be opened quickly if needed. In it I have a shotgun that just needs to be pumped and two rifles that just need the bolt to be closed.

While awake at home I generally carry in my pocket or at least have the pistol safe unlocked for quick access.

I have on at least two occasions been awakened at night by strange sounds in the house. Grabbed gun and light each time and investigated. Strange thing is, I didn't feel my heart pumping fast or a rush of adrenalin. It's possible that the sound didn't really fit that of an intruder and my mind had already decided that it wasn't a big deal.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Good set-up and welcome to the forum metalman!

Hope you continue to hang out here and become an active member!
    Thanks! Since I found the site I have been on it multiple times every day. Its probably my most visited site at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    My gun and flashlight is right next to the bed. I sleep in a tank top and shorts. I have no need to put any other clothes on.
    Pretty much the same, I sleep in boxers. No need to be well dressed in an emergency in my own house. I'm armed unless I'm in bed or taking a shower.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    I'm armed unless I'm in bed or taking a shower.
    What? No ziploc bag with string attached and wore around the neck?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

you can always wear one of these:

Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

My duty weapon(G21) goes into a Serpa holster on my headboard. Got a Surefire G2 on nightstand in addition to a spare mag and pair of cuffs and my badge on a neck chain. My habit might change when I get other weapons but it will probably be pretty similar. Only change might be a G30 instead of G21, or both might be around headboard/nightstand. Might get a BOB,probably a maxpedition.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I keep my Sig Sauer P226R "Blackwater" edition with an attached Streamlight TLR2 either under my pillow or in the bedside table, along with my fully charged cell phone. --

So the Sig P226/light + another Surefire 9P light and my trip BUG-OUT bag that has all the best parts of a medical trauma kit along with bare minimum survival gear and more 9mm ammo (Corbon +P+) I sleep in boxers and a t-shirt and keep my loafers next to the bed. I can move into combat mode inside of three seconds from coming to full alert. 2 Newfoundland dogs (100+ pounds each) are the early warning system.

They may have frightened off an intruder just last week. Nothing concrete on that except the frenzied barking that was on the level of: "THERE IS EVIL THREATENING THIS FAMILY AND WE WILL DESTROY THAT" is the only way to describe that bark. It was to the extent that my neighbor also came into his back yard with a flashlight and a 45. He'd never heard my "girls" act like that either. He's a former army captain (aviator) who also flies one of the county air rescue chopper these days.

In 1996, I actually fought off an intruder who tried to enter my home. But that was before these two Newfies. I won, he fled. Never caught. But he paid: Ran into a neighbors hedge of Bougainvillea which is a very pretty and thick vine that can weave an impenetrable hedge and features two inch long razor tipped thorns that are thick at the bottom and don't easily break. The little perp hit that eight foot thick hedge and pushed his way thru on the run. The cops found huge blood pools and a blood trail they lost at a nearby street. I got some justice that night! All in all, I'm ready. The word: WAR is really just an acronym:

We
    Are
    Ready!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member

good topic

good thing for everyone to address, really take a look at your preparation

as for me....G21 with streamlight sits in the pistol safe on floor by the bed, G30 (which I carry in paddle holster around the house) sits on the nightstand with my surefire G2 and a dual mag clip-on pouch (2-13round), the wife has her G26 at the ready, both of our cell phones get charged up in the bedroom at night so they are at hand just in case, the Mossberg 500 is on the rack in the closet ready to rock, tac vest with spare Glock 21 and AK mags is ready as well with the AK if needed

as for the scenario.....if someone comes knocking at my back door in the middle of the night, its not family or friends coming for tea (closest family is 300 miles away and my friends know better than to come to my house like that); so either front door or back door, window breaking, etc., I'm ready to go, have a pair of shorts by the bed to slip on if needed
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links