How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

This is a discussion on How quickly can you be ready to defend your family? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think of a fire man. He is sitting around the station watching TV or lifting weights, then all of the sudden the alarm goes of. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

How quickly can you be ready to defend your family?

Think of a fire man. He is sitting around the station watching TV or lifting weights, then all of the sudden the alarm goes of. WWWWWWWOOOOOOOO.....WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOO.
    How long dose it take him to be loaded onto the truck and ready to go? Not long, because he has anticipated this happening. He has all of his gear ready to go and he even has worked at getting everything on very quickly.

Shouldn't we do the same thing. Think about it, you are laying in bed, wearing only your boxers or whatever and you hear somebody knock on your back door late at night. How prepared are you for this moment. From a minimalist response, you dig through the drawer and find your gun, then dig through a pile of close on the floor until you find your pants. Then you get half way to the door and think, I should probably have a flash light.

My suggestion(and I'm sure several of you already do this) is to be completely prepared before hand, just like a fire man. Lay out a set of close that you can get into easily and know where they are at. That includes shoes.

Have a tactical vest, fanny pack, man purse or something that contains a lot of items you might need. Kind of like a bug out bag, but dedicate this one as a combat bag. Some items you might want are, extra magazines, first aid equipment, cell phone(if possible), two flashlights, pepper spray, maybe a back up gun, note pad and pin, car keys and so on. That way when you hear something, you can instantly dress out and be ready to go in the shortest period of time. If you are already dressed then just grab the bag.

I'm curious who already dose something like this, to what degree and what type of gear to you keep close at hand.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

2. Remove Ads

My gun and flashlight is right next to the bed. I sleep in a tank top and shorts. I have no need to put any other clothes on.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    My gun and flashlight is right next to the bed. I sleep in a tank top and shorts. I have no need to put any other clothes on.
    Ditto
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Like you mentioned in another thread, I EXPECT an encounter. So here's my daily prep:

While in my house, I'm ALWAYS armed. Since the way my house is built, if I'm watching t.v. in the living room and the front door gets kicked in, I have no opportunity to go get a gun. The battle will be decided with what I have on me. So I pack as I would on the streets: 1 auto with extra mag, and at least 1 BUG.

Concerning bumps in the night when we are in bed, my setup is this: dual-holster SmartCarry, containing primary and BUG, that I slip off just before going to bed. My cell phone is clipped to the SmartCarry, and here lately I've been putting my keys inside the security pouch, for a couple reasons. One reason is that the key to my gun locker is on it. I don't want to face someone who is using my guns they found downstairs. The second reason is my mace is on my key chain. And if I remember, I also put a spare mag on my nightstand or in the security pouch.

I slide the SmartCarry just under the bed, right next to a big flashlight. Or I can put my little flashlight I carry on my belt inside the SC also. If I need to move, I can either slip the SC on and have everything, or grap my primary gun in one hand and the flashlight in the other.

That's all I keep for now. Things may change once I buy a shotgun, but that's it for now. The SC is a little bulky with all that in it, but it gets the job done.

I agree with you: chance favors the prepared. The one time I'm not prepared may be when my encounter comes, so my goal is to always be prepared.

Now if your post concerned primarily a bugout bag and being prepared to exit the house, then I missed your point a bit. That might take me a couple minutes to grab a couple gun bags. Still working on having one good bugout bag ready. If it's really an emergency, I'm not going to worry about the pants. Maybe that'll be a distraction for any BG's in the area.

That's great Gradey, I should have know you would fall into the "prepared category." I commend you for carrying around the house. I don't. This might sound like an excuse, but I have three young kids who are constantly hanging on me and I just don't feel that the pros out weigh the cons for me. The pants are optional, but they are their in case I need them. Shoes are not necessary, but can become necessary real quick depending on the situation. Obviously the system is set up so that I can grab the important stuff first and then if time allows get fully dressed out. It also works for me, because I am a on call SWAT guy. So if my pager goes of in the middle of the night I want to be up, dressed and out the door as soon as possible.

No I wasn't talking about a bug out bag. Although I have one of those set up too. Well I guess I actually have two of BOB'S one in the car and one in the house. For that matter I have two combat bags, a vest in the closet and a fanny pack in the car. I know Fanny packs are out of style. But I figure if I need to grab that thing then one basic fashion rule applies. "Survival never goes out of style!"

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I always have a bag with at least one pistol, extra mags for all my pistols, flashlights, knives and holsters in the car when I'm out or in the house with me. But while I'm in the house, I usually carry my PPS in a CrossBreed with a sheath knife (CRKT Ryan Plan B), flashlight (Fenix L2D CE) and cell phone. If I came home from work, I have the PPS in the SmartCarry. If not from work, I'm fully loaded. There is usually a pistol on the nightstand with a couple flashlights there as well. The AR is easily and quickly accessable, as are 6 extra mag in holders. Two shotguns are put in other places in the house (both of them old, one breach and one bolt action). As far as leaving the house quickly? I think I'll work on keeping the bad guys out, or getting them out dead or alive. I have no intentions of leaving my home, especially with my family there, one of them in a wheelchair. I sleep with a t-shirt and sport shorts.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I'm always armed around the house. 1911 with 2 spare mags cell phone and BUG.
    Now..If I'm in bed...the goblin is going to get a surprise. There are no kids in the house so, there's an AR, AOW shotgun 1911 with light, two 10 round mags, plus my carry rig within one step of the bed. If the alarm system and the dog doesn't do the trick...I will
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

EDC and my surefire are very close. My dogs give me a 'heads up' enough to meet any threat, be it person, cat, coon, or armadillo.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

How about a full duty belt, ready to slip on? Skip the handcuffs and add more ammo.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I enjoyed this thread. Very good information. I have a GunVault brand pistol vault, with a loaded pistol and a Surefire 6p light. So that's always ready to rock and roll. BUT, I haven't considered the clothes and shoes problem, which I'm going to do now after reading this thread. Oh yea, and I need to bring my cell phone upstairs and keep it on my nightstand. I guess that covers it.

I got a .45 loaded with 230gr speer gold dots (5 spare magazines) and a 20gauge packin federal vital shock withen arms reach without getting out of the bed.
    LED tach flaslight on the dresser on the way out the door.

Where I would go past the AR that stays out and ready with 6 Loaded Magazines 1 in two beside and 3 in strategic backup spots.

A .45 even showers with me if Im home alone and sometimes if Im not home alone.

I hope a BG never comes my way. But if he does I like to think im ready for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Ditto
    Ditto-Ditto!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

After 17 years of firefighting I know how to get moving at 3am. I've heard some mention shirts and shorts, but lets not forget a good pair of socks. In my rookie years I learned the hard way that stepping on something with bare feet slows you down a bit. Even with just a pair of socks it takes some of the sting out. Also practice walking through your house in the dark even if you intend to light the place up when the stuff hits the fan. It really helps you get to know your own home in case you have any emergency with no or low light.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudoJake View Post
    I am a on call SWAT guy.
    Then you're probably more prepared than most of the rest of us. I do understand about having little kids around, and not wanting to have firearms in several places on your body. But I suspect you have quick access to firearms at home even if you don't have them on your body.

If you ever feel the need to be armed at home but are still concerned about the kids, maybe a SmartCarry would work for you. That's an area kids are already taught to avoid anyway, so unless you are wrestling around, maybe that would work at times. I'm thinking of some BG's wanting retribution for you putting them in jail... and maybe catching you out mowing the lawn or having a barbecue.

Anyway, I'm sure you've taken all these things into consideration already. You don't need me to tell you how to be safe. Since you're on the SWAT team, you could probably tell the rest of us how to be safer.

As retsupt99 says: stay armed... even at home... stay safe!

I am an on call swat medic... I have my go-bag sitting in bedroom closet with AR-15 & shotgun, plus uniform, spare boots, tac-vest, body armor, entry team trauma bag, main medical pack and boxes of ammo for all weapons along with spare mags. I also have a 56 round bandoleer with 12 ga. rounds for the mossberg in the go-bag as well.

For my pistols... when in bed for the night, I keep my G-23 with Insight M3 tac light mounted to it with spare mag in top drawer of dresser about 1.5 feet from my hand. I keep my BUG XD9sc in same drawer but in a paddle holster so I can mount that to any trousers I have time to throw on in short order. I keep a 125 lumen LED tac light on a wrist lanyard next to both pistols in the drawer. Cell phone is on top of dresser on charger. I keep my Rocky Tactical boots with side zippers next to bed that I can slip on and zip up without having to lace and tie. Sometimes I keep my body armor right next to the bed so I can throw it on in a moments notice, but usually it's in my go-bag. My portable 2 way radio is also in charger on dresser next to bed.

14 years of firefighting and 30 years EMS had me learning to pack gear ready to respond way before I joined the tactical team. Just cooler toys with the tac team. Now if I can just convince the bosses why the team medic needs night vision goggles and I'll really have home advantage for any late night home invasions!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links