Tactical Response Fighting Pistol

This is a discussion on Tactical Response Fighting Pistol within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I reviewed this class in this thread when I took it last year. I just took it again last week (July 14-15) and I enjoyed ...

Thread: Tactical Response Fighting Pistol

Tactical Response Fighting Pistol

I reviewed this class in this thread when I took it last year.

I just took it again last week (July 14-15) and I enjoyed it just as much this time as I did the first time around.

I think one reason for this is that with the "drinking from the firehose" effect, there's only so much you can really "get" the first time around. Taking the class a second time allowed me to not only get a review of material that I took away from the first class, but also to get a fresh look at things that I may not have caught the last time.

I also liked the fact that there were some differences between this class and the last one I took. I appreciate the fact that the Tactical Response instructors are constantly working to improve the quality of the instruction and the relevance and realism of the material being taught.

The out-of-class time and the Team Room experience has been great. We have a pretty diverse group of guys this week (and by diverse I mean that some of them are pretty damn weird...you know who you are ).

Thanks to Sherman and Allen for an awesome class.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I took that class and was quite dissapointed. I dont regret going, I learned alot, but the attitudes of the instructors was hard to take at times. If you aren't a cop or in the military, they don't have time for you. Ask them a question and try to get some help and it's a short answer and that's all you get. Some of the instructors were better than others.
    The class was so fast paced that if you miss something, too bad, they're moving on.. I talked to someone else after the class and they had the same impression I did.
    If I were to do it over, I'd get some one on one training.....

Ky Carry,

You feelings highlight the tension that exists between the 2-3 day format and a 5 day format. In a 5 day format, you get more 1 on 1 time with the instructor(s) and you get more time to absorb and INTEGRATE all of the material. However, 5 day classes tend to be offered at fixed locations which can be expensive to travel to and the class itself is much more expensive.

Shorter classes are more affordable, can usually be had closer and if done well will expose you to the building blocks. But... you have much less time to put them together in the class itself.

Having done both, I think a 3.5 day format with the some "homework" going out to the students before hand would be an optimum way to go. YMMV greatly and reasonable minds will definitely differ on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I took that class and was quite dissapointed. I dont regret going, I learned alot, but the attitudes of the instructors was hard to take at times. If you aren't a cop or in the military, they don't have time for you. Ask them a question and try to get some help and it's a short answer and that's all you get. Some of the instructors were better than others.
    The class was so fast paced that if you miss something, too bad, they're moving on.. I talked to someone else after the class and they had the same impression I did.
    If I were to do it over, I'd get some one on one training.....
    First off, I'm not being confrontational, I'm really curious as to what you think...
    Second, I'm not connected with Tactical Response other than having trained with them several times and being extremely happy with the quality of the experience both in and out of class.

On the attitudes of the instructors and the LE/MIL thing, I don't know where you got this...I've been through four of their classes now and have seen nothing but support and a true willingness to help you improve (regardless of who you are or what you do) from all of the instructors I've interacted with. I personally feel that your statement is a serious mis-characterization of the way they operate. Can you be more specific as to what exactly you mean?

As to the pace of the class...once again I've gotta ask, what exactly was your problem. Yes, the class was fast paced, but each drill builds upon the ones before so that people were able to make sense of what was going on.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Senior Moderator
    I think part of this comes down to the individual. It's quite common for two people to experience the same training and come away with starkly different opinions. I've taken courses that some rave about and don't see what all the rave is about.

I suppose a lot depends on how quickly one can progress through various stages of a class. Some learn slower than others, not because of intelligence, etc. but for many reasons.

As I teach people, mostly one-on-one, I go at their pace and over the years I've found that to be very productive. But, I don't teach for pay, it's not my livelihood, so I don't have to get through a set amount of material by a certain time.

Plus, some learn better/faster in a group, some learn faster one-on-one. I do know what Kentuckycarry means by "...if you miss something..." you tend to feel lost and behind. Instructor's attitude is important too.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I took the short course when they came to my home range.
    I enjoyed the course and found none of the problems kentuckycarry experienced.
    As a senior I was worried about keeping up but I had no problems and if I did the instructors were quick to work one on one.
    I even saw them work on an experienced shooters grip during what was supposed to be their lunch break.
    They are fast paced classes but they do start simple and rapidly build to more and more learning.
    It is really not unusual for different people to have different perspectives on instructors,training etc and that is all good. Everyone has to find what is right for themselves.

Links