Looks like I need to practice more

This is a discussion on Looks like I need to practice more within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, the Wife woke me up saying she heard a noise. So I sit up in bed and swing the legs out, which pouts ...

Thread: Looks like I need to practice more

Looks like I need to practice more

Last night, the Wife woke me up saying she heard a noise. So I sit up in bed and swing the legs out, which pouts them in to a pair of shorts at the ready (Dad was a Fireman and taught me that one) so then I bend down to tap out my 5 digit code on the pistol safe while reaching in the end table drawer for my flash light. During the code entry I flubbed it up 3 times, valuable time lost and because of the beeping I lost any hope of stealth.

I finally got the pistol and flashlight and walked around in the dark ready to flash (with the light!) anyone I came across and if they were taller than my 11 year old I'd defend my family.

Turns out it was the stupid front storm door, hadn't closed all the way.

When I came back to bed I complained about how long it took me to get ready and the Wife said, "you should practice on the nights I am at work." That kind of made me feel good, that she recognizes how to improve on this skill most civilians don't have.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

Every night I unlock my pistol safe and open it up, double-check the gun and the flashlight I've got stored in there, and then go to bed.

My safe, however, is in my closet on the shelf, so it's still safe out of children's reach. Don't think I'd suggest it for someone like you who keeps it at a lower level. But it works for me.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    That is why I don't unload or lock up my defense guns.

Ron
    Every night right before I go to bed I move my gun mini-safe holding my gun and tactical flashlight to my night table. I punch in the code and open it. It stays open all night. The very first thing I do when I get up in the morning is close the safe and move it back up on top of my chest, where it stays locked until the next night.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Ditto!
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    That is why I don't unload or lock up my defense guns.
    Same here. My home defense gun is the one I use for EDC. The only places it can be found are on my person, or sitting on the nightstand. Please note that there are no children in my house.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

No more kids around...grandkids are 1200 miles away. My guns stay out all the time...several rooms...night stand at bedtime.

Stay armed...always...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My draw back is I have 4 kids who can't keep their freaking hands to themselves. I have taught them about guns and gun safety, I just don't trust them. Most of the time I keep it on my hip, but at night I like to keep it locked up.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Gun/flashlight& Cell All On Night Stand Every Nite!!!!

I'd carry it until you turn in, then keep it on the night stand. Trying to open that safe when your heart it pounding can be difficult. I keep my gun and flashlight on the nightstand each night.

One thing I have thought about is taking a Fobus holster I have and mounting it to the bed frame. This way it is accessible to me when I need it, but if the kids come in during the night they won't see it to jack with it (yes I sleep that heavily).

I don't have a fear of leaving it behind as I do the body check dance when I leave every day:

1. Back pocket knife - Check
    2. Front left pocket knife - Check
    3. Memorial bracelet - Check
    4. Gun - Check
    5. Wallet - Check
    6. Car keys - Check
    7. Watch - Check
    8. Pen - Check
    9. Laptop bag - Check
    10. Laptop IN laptop bag (this can get embarrassing) - Check

-Paco

I have no kids in the house the gun stays on my hip til bedtime then it goes on the nightstand right by the 12 gauge
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Paco,

You might change your code to a string of continuous digits for such as specifically; '11111', '33333', '77777', or '99999'.

That way you can't flub it up and locating those characters in the dark by feel alone is relatively easy and quick.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I did something similar, there are 4 buttons with no numbers so I chose a pattern I thought I could do under stress.

First order of business is to oil the hinges on the front screen door.

I think what I am going to do is either leave it open, since I grab and go in the morning anyway, or mount my Fobus Roto holster that I don't use to the bed frame.

-Paco

Links