Had a great time at TSSA drills last night

This is a discussion on Had a great time at TSSA drills last night within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday my wife, Laura, and I decided to make the long drive down to Markham park to take part in the TSSA drills night. Since ...

Thread: Had a great time at TSSA drills last night

Yesterday my wife, Laura, and I decided to make the long drive down to Markham park to take part in the TSSA drills night. Since both of us have very little experience doing live fire draw, movement, multiple target shoots, and such, we hoped it would be a great chance to practice the skills and hopefully get some pointers. We'd never been to a TSSA event but after ready posts by Miggy on how great the TSSA people are, we hoped to have a great time and learn some things.

We got everything we were hoping for and more. We were able to practice all of the things that can not be done at a regular range, all done under the watchful eye of some great range officers. The range officers where very professional ensuring a safe range and were happy to help us out with tips and words of advise. All of the people there were friendly. Laura and I are looking forward to going back out there next month even though it's over an hour's drive.

For anyone on the southeast coast of Florida I highly recommend going out there. For $25 dollars per person you get a 3 hour training class with some very knowledgeable people. For more information see the TSSA web site.

Important things we learned last night:
    1) Bring bug spray
    2) Bring more magazines
    3) Bring Folding Chairs
    4) Dry fire practice really does work. It's amazing who much having done dry fire practice on draws and such helped when it came time to do it with live ammo
    Last edited by azagthoth; August 6th, 2008 at 12:48 PM.
    Rob

VIP Member
    Allow me to issue one minor correction. The new website is WWW.TSSAIDPA.US
    It is still a work in progress so pardon our dust.

I am glad you guys had a great time. I missed it due to work but I will try to make it for the South Florida Defensive Carbine Club on the fourth Tuesday Night.

Come this Saturday if you can for an IDPA match at Trail Glades. The theme will be "Bring What You Carry":

This is the time to bring your carry gun. And use the device you really carry it in…
    That’s right shoot it from where you carry it.
    Pocket, butt pack, MaxPedtion, briefcase, what ever. Even a holster.
    Your chance to pull it out with live ammo and shoot. “Please dry fire practice at home first.”
    It will be taxing on the Safety Officers, but it will be loads of fun!

If you can't make it this Saturday, we will have another IDPA match on the Fourth Saturday at Markham Park.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks for the correct site, Miggy. I was wondering why the other site didn't have much info.

We won't be able to make it this Saturday, Miami is a long drive for us. But we both want to check out an IDPA event and see what it's like. We will be at every drill practice at Markham we can make.
    Rob

I actually stumbled upon the Technical Standards & Safety Authority website looking into IDPA shooting. I'm 27 owned my first handgun since 21, but now is when I'm really falling in live with the knowledge/training/mindset aspect of it all.

I'd like some more information, http://www.tssaidpa.us/

I've also marked down september 13th at trail glades for an IDPA shoot I wanted to check it out possibly see if I shoot when I go.

I see on their website it requires a carbine, as of now I only own pistol(s). Would I not be able to attend?

Links