Houston area Training, Ranges, and Gun Stores

This is a discussion on Houston area Training, Ranges, and Gun Stores within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have recently moved to Houston and I am planing on getting my CHL when I get back in town, I am gone a lot. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Houston area Training, Ranges, and Gun Stores

Houston area Training, Ranges, and Gun Stores

I have recently moved to Houston and I am planing on getting my CHL when I get back in town, I am gone a lot. But I was wondering if anyone here had any advise on training courses, a good range (that has rental guns), and also I am looking for a gun store that has a large selection.

I have done some searching on the internet and have found a few stores and found some do not carry a wide variety of gun makers. I want to make sure I get a gun that I like and I want to try out as many as possible.

When it comes to training, I have been around handguns before and own one. But if I am going to be carrying everyday I want to have some more "advanced" or "professional" training. Mainly, some situational training.

Any help that someone can provide would be great, thanks all.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs up

Check out Top Gun, down by the Galleria. They have tons of rental guns. The staff is super knowledgeable and they also host CHL classes and lots of other gun training classes. Check their website Welcome to TOP GUN RANGE . They have an indoor range and I think they are the only range in Houston that rents guns.

Check out Hot Wells shooting range. They have CHL classes and tactical training. Another place is Jim Pruitt's Guns and Ammo.

I have taken several training courses with Brian Hoffner. Recommend you check it out.

Here is a link to his training schedule

Defensive Folding Knife, Houston TX

Link to his home page.

Hoffners Custom Leather Holsters

I also recommend you check out Top Gun Range

Welcome to TOP GUN RANGE

I second (and third) the Top Gun Range. As a woman, I've had more than my share of people treat me like I'm stupid, and try to get rid of me as fast as possible.

The people at Top Gun are unfailingly polite (unless you do something stupid), and never dismissive.

For an outdoor range (when the weather cools), try the one in Bush Park off of Westheimer and Hwy 6.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

As far as a gun store with a HUGE selection ... check out Collectors Firearms. We evacuated to the Houston area thanks to Gustav and found Collectors Firearms and couldn't believe the variety of stuff in there.

Hey Blinks, welcome to Houston. Many good retailers, ranges, and training opportunities in the metroplex so grab the yellow pages and "let your fingers do the walking". See you at the range....

I was just down in Houston last month checking out the new home of my REgional Representative, 360 Tactical Training. They are based at the Memorial Shooting Center, which is under new management this year and they are REALLY improving the range and shop dramatically. The store/classroom areas have been completely re-done and the range is almost done as of last week and will be finished at any time. It is usable now, but they have re-done or are redoing all of the backstop, ventilation and lighting. They have a complete selection of rental guns, etc.

I'll be teaching down there a few times this fall, but they offer defensive handgun, CCW permit courses and Combat Focus Shooting programs regularly.

Memorial Shooting Center

-RJP

For obvious reasons, the course we were supposed to run at Memorial this weekend was postponed... We're planning on folding students into the courses in October and there is still room for others.

I hope everyone in the Houston made it through Ike with minimal problems.....

For obvious reasons, the course we were supposed to run at Memorial this weekend was postponed... We're planning on folding students into the courses in October and there is still room for others.

I hope all of the Def-Carry Members in the Houston made it through Ike with minimal problems.....

Rob do you personally teach the courses down in Houston?
    NRA Member

Yes, I do. I was supposed to fly into town yesterday for a 3 day class starting today which we have postponed.

I will be in town from the 11th through the 24th in October, doing a variety of courses and taping a few new videos for the Personal Defense DVD Series...

The courses from the 16-18th are part of an Instructor Conference and will involve CFS Instructors from around the US and Europe, including me.

-RJP

Well then that sounds like something I will need to sign up for. About how long is the wait for you pistol class?
    NRA Member

October 16-18th is Combat Focus Shooting and Adv. Pistol Handling.ario ara

The 19th is planned as a Force on Force Scenario/Home Defense Tactics course in Memorial's new Scenario Range, as as Ike hasn't disrupted the construction schedule too much.

Details can be found through Memorial or my website.

Thanks for the interest!

-RJP

Thanks.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links