Training for the poor

Training for the poor

This is a discussion on Training for the poor within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought it might be a good question for discussion. I can not afford any training classes right now and have obtained my CCW permit. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Training for the poor

Thought it might be a good question for discussion.
    I can not afford any training classes right now and have obtained my CCW permit. I do have a pretty good understanding of how to shoot, when to shoot and not to etc. Additionally there is no range close by where I can practice drawing and firing or moving from target to target and fireing. There is an indoor range reasonably close that I freqent.
    I wonder if some of you who who have had better training could share ideas and thoughts on how to improve our abilities.

You need Airsoft.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I was thinking that myself. Just for running drills in the house, it works perfect.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I practice drawing and dry fireing daily at home. I will eventually join a shooting club. It should be worth the investment.
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    You need Airsoft.
    Just don't grab the wrong gun when it is crunch time
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Airsoft is the way to go. 4 months ago, I bought my first Airsoft. it was a KWA Glock 19 and now I have five of them. I am crazy about them and shoot at least twice a day at home. I use them for drawing and point shooting.
    My #1 bought new has about 9,000 rds. through it using Coleman Propane Gas and have had no problems at all.
    #2 bought used has about 4,000 through it with no problems.
    #3 bought used has about 2,000 through it and again no problems.
    Using the propane, I can get between 65-70 rds. with one 6 sec. mag fill in this hot season, I don't what it will be when it gets cold.
    #4 is NIB and keeping it for a spare.

I also have Advantage Arms .22LR kits for my Glocks and also I am crazy about them.
    Due to ammo costs,although I reload, the .22 kits have saved me a pile of money.
    Due to the cost of gas, the AirSofts have also saved me a lot as well as I can practice at home.

Improve your abilities as to what, exactly?

This website has some good marksmanship training resources, including safety training and training in the physical and mental aspects of shooting:

Training

I agree with NKMG19's practice routine. I've heard that when the Berlin Wall came down, the Western world got to see what training the East Germans Olympic shooters used to make them so effective, especially since they didn't have unlimited funds. It seems like dry firing was a big part of their overall training regimen.

Senior Moderator
    Get a .22 and use a suitable backstop. It can be as simple as a homeade sandtrap. Buy a box of 500 or 550 and shoot to your hearts content.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One would want to start out with the basics and developing good safe habits. The internet and this site have alot of information available for starters. What part of Kansas? My local club has USPSA sanctioned matches which run around $15 entry and a couple hundred rounds. Their pistol bays are 180 and very useful for practice. Other than that, dry firing at home, in the back yard, etc.....

Dry firing is a good practice. Airsoft is also good.

VIP Member
    go to IDPA.com and check if there is a club nearby. That is the best basic & cheap instruction you can get.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    OK, on the Airsoft recommendations: I see spring-type large-plastic-BB guns, and I see CO2 versions for a fair amount more money. It would seem that if I am training to use my DA/SA pistol, it would be better to get the CO2 version even though more expensive, as it would be pretty embarassing to rack the reall gun after every shot and dump half of my ammo. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    OK, on the Airsoft recommendations: I see spring-type large-plastic-BB guns, and I see CO2 versions for a fair amount more money. It would seem that if I am training to use my DA/SA pistol, it would be better to get the CO2 version even though more expensive, as it would be pretty embarassing to rack the reall gun after every shot and dump half of my ammo. Thoughts?
    The CO2 guns nearly all suffer gas leakage problems. Perhaps the high end ones are better, but I've used an all-metal $100 one and it does the same. The first few shots go well, then the gun gets cold and the seals leak.

I've had better luck reliability-wise with gas BB guns, but the accuracy of my PPK BB gun is horrendous. I can shoot better from 100 feet with a real gun, than I can from 10 feet with that thing.

Gas Blow Back is the only way to go for training. Pistols work and feel like the real thing. No leakage problems with them if you get a good one.
    Use Coleman Propane bottles to fill the mags at about $3.00 a bottle and get thousands of shots per bottle.
    I like KWA's line of AirSofts. There are powerful,work great and don't use much gas and all metal. KWA's line of Glocks seem to be the best on the market according to most AirSofters on the web.
    They have an all metal 1911 that has a good followering but I haven't seen one.
    Another good thing about KWA's is that they have a place in the States to buy parts and get service if needed.
    Any others you mostly have to get parts from overseas and it takes awhile.
    I have a KJW Glock 23 with a small broken part and I had to order it from Hong Kong 2 weeks ago and still have not received it yet and it was supposed
    to be sent via AirMail to me.
    If you shop around, you can get a KWA Glock for around a $100 new and $60-75 used.
    You can find AirSoft BBs for about $30.00 for 20,000.

Use the internet, as you are doing for reference, and dig around for videos of pistol technique. Dry fire using snap caps, dummy rds, or spent brass in front of a full length mirror, to the best of your skill set that you have right now, and you will improve. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links