Becoming an instructor

This is a discussion on Becoming an instructor within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been very pro active in learning about Firearms and carry law over the last several years and wondering if any instructors out there may ...

Thread: Becoming an instructor

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Becoming an instructor

Have been very pro active in learning about Firearms and carry law over the last several years and wondering if any instructors out there may give me some advice on where to get started. Classes etc
    Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I would say the best way to get your feet wet is with an NRA sponsored course.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    The NRA offers the very basic level instructor courses, but if you want some credibility with credible instructors, you will need to take it to the next level. Being completely honest, a NRA certificate means nothing more than you paid your money and sat in a class for a while. I look for the skill sets being taught, and practical experience using those skills in real world.

You can do this with pure experience, learning a valued technique to offer or get additional credentials from whom ever governs your states LEO training.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For basic entry into the realm, the NRA is OK if it's your first experience. I agree with Sixto about it's lack of substance. I hold numerous LEO Instructor certs and of all I have found the best instruction at S&W Academy and Sig Sauer Academy. A Firearms Instructor certificate from S&W Academy is recognized by most states for police academies and in-service training. It would probably be an outstanding cert to have for training the CCW population.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

Contact the NRA and find an Instructor trainer in your area. Take the classes you want to teach and start there. Continue to take advanced classes from certified trainers in whatever discipline it is you like. By furthering your own expertise and credibility you be able eventually teach advanced classes of your own choosing. For what it's worth, I just completed 6 courses this past week. Just waiting on my Instructor Certs from NRA to get started. Here in Fl there is a shortage of instructors compared to the population clamoring for CWL's and the NRA course happens to be the most popular mandated by the State of Florida for acceptable training. My advanced training was from the military to the last 40 years of lifes experience but my continuing education will be with Robin Brown in the "The Threat Focused" skills. No matter what you teach there is a definite need for instructors from basic safety thru advanced sniper, swat, assault team tactics. Start out slow and easy teaching basics then move on from there.

Anyone know about how much $$ and time it costs to get the NRA instructors cert?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Anyone know about how much $$ and time it costs to get the NRA instructors cert?
    The Certs aren't much. I think mine were $55 total. Its the Courses you take and each Trainer/Coach is going to be different. Lets just say it can cost a couple of hundred per Course or there abouts.

One thing I forgot to mention, that when applying to become an NRA Instructor you have to take the "Basic Instructors Training"(BIT)course before you can take anything else.

I see, thanks.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Find out who your Training Coordinator is, and see when or if his next class is scheduled. I found the training to be helpful, but I don't see much of a market for the basic NRA courses. It's a nice bump into other things, and I believe a lot of my future purchases, training, and materials will be a business expense. ;)

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Thanks guys that is a big help

Senior Moderator
    The first thing you need to do is to find our what your state requires.
    In Arkansas, only NRA or LEO certs will work. The problem with LEO certs is that you must be a full time LEO and must be sponsored by your dept to get them. Since very few LEO's
    in this state are actual CHL instructors, most of them are NRA certs.

Just about everyone recognizes NRA certs.While I agree that some of them are pretty basic, don't let that scare you off. They do fulfill the requirement. Get what you need to get, you can always get better training later on.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Same thing down here HotGuns.. What I have found is that there are over 55,000 NRA Instructors throughout the country but less than 10% are active. Most do it as a part time thing to pick up some extra cash or help family and friends or a few referrals. They also have full time jobs so weekends are the only times available. My situation will allow me to do this full time. I'm kind of like ex-soldier in the fact that I love to teach. When it becomes a "job" instead of being enjoyable I'll probably walk away from it.

I have looked at some of the NRA Instructor courses, which courses aside from the basic instructor course are mandated to teach CCW. Im specifically interested in Utah requirements.

Links