Any thought on how to save on paper targets?

This is a discussion on Any thought on how to save on paper targets? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess in the big picture, targets at the range I use only cost $.50. I'm an ok shot, so once the center disappears I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any thought on how to save on paper targets?

I guess in the big picture, targets at the range I use only cost $.50.

I'm an ok shot, so once the center disappears I assume as long as I'm not making new holes, I must be doing good.

Still, I was wondering, has anyone taken a 8.5 X 11 sheets of paper and tape with them to the range to cover the hole and save a few $?

I think the traditional approach is paper tape over the holes. But, like you said, they're only .50 each. The ammo used must be much more expensive than that.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I bring my own targets because of the drills I prefer and I'm cheap. I bring my own tape, but the range I use also provides a stapler. There are some wonderful "print your own" targets available on the internet. My favorite is the "Dot Torture" available from my favorite training site. pistol-training.com Dot Torture

There are lots of other entertaining targets available free so you can print your own. A little internet searching will be rewarded.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I take a staple gun and paper plates they make a good COM target,you keep your shots in the center of the plate your doing good
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Try this web site. Bunches of targets you can print off on your home printer. Even with cost of paper and ink, probably less than .07 per target. Avoid the all black silhouette targets though as they use a bunch of ink.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Try this web site. Bunches of targets you can print off on your home printer. Even with cost of paper and ink, probably less than .07 per target. Avoid the all black silhouette targets though as they use a bunch of ink.

Hoss
    cvhoss,
    Cool site...Thanks!
    ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I use the back side of previously used 9" and 12" paper plates, 24pk canned beverage cardboard separators, pizza box tops, and unbroken clay targets I pick up at the range for targets. I've also printed out some from the freebie web sites.

Go to the paper-plate section at wal-mart and get a package of the flimsy 8" plates (I think you get like 200-300 for just a couple of bucks). Then go over to the office-supply section and get a package of index/file stickers (little colored dots about 3/4" in diameter) for about $2.

Stick the stickers on the paper plate (I usually put 6 stickers on each plate).

You now have a few-hundred targets for around $5.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

If you need cardboard sheets, you can head to Wal-Mart or any other large discounter or grocery store. These types of places use and discard a huge number of cardboard pieces that sit on pallets between boxes. You can acquire these for no cost. Add in the stack of cheapie 300 paper plates, a black felt tip marker, stapler, masking tape, and you've got a target kit for (as folks have said) just a few dollars.

If you don't want to staple things together like that, you can simply print out one or two targets onto plain 8x11 paper, photocopy them at the local photo-mat place, and you can tape these up onto any existing target. ShootingTargets.net has many to choose from, or you can search for "shooting targets free" on Google. If you want large batches of relatively inexpensive targets, head to TargetBarn.com.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

To add to the list of options, at our last IPSC shoot I took one of the used silhouettes from the trash and traced it onto several pieces of cardboard box used for new refrigerators, then I cut them out with a box cutter, it gave me seven new targets that can take a lot of hits. You can use masking tape to cover your shots several times over before you throw it away.
    The first time you aren't armed and prepared may be the last time you wished you were.

I buy my own targets from cheaper than dirt. This saves me some money because I can buy them in larger quantity. The site is http://www.cheaperthandirt.com
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Don't shoot'em...duh.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

I made my own in Photoshop. Used gray instead of black and the holes show up better, plus doesn't use much ink. I don't need calibrated targets, I need to know, "Did I hit the center or not." I print 10 or so and take them with me. Tape four at a time on the cardboard, and shoot away.
    target 1 copy.jpg

Welcome to The Reload Bench

Go to Reload Bench and print your own. Or, just use regular printer paper. Concealed carry instructors generally don't use regular targets, because anything on that piece of paper (or paper plate) is considered "center mass" and is a good defensive hit.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

computer printed freebies are great as well as the paper plate suggestions. I use paper plates frequently. However if you are wanting commercially made type targets, buy your own in bulk. Never buy at the range. And use pasties to cover the holes to reuse them. They make pasties in lots of colors.

You can get decent prices on commercial targets and some of the biggest selection at Speedwell Targets.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links