Waste of time & ammo?

Waste of time & ammo?

This is a discussion on Waste of time & ammo? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Summer has been hectic with little time to hit the range so a couple of times a week I bust a couple of caps in ...

Waste of time & ammo?

Summer has been hectic with little time to hit the range so a couple of times a week I bust a couple of caps in my back yard with my carry gun. One (13 rounds) or two (26 rounds) mags. Some days it will be bullseye shooting, other days it will be draw and fire one and two handed, single and multiple targets, or draw & fire while moving just a mix. Cleaning my gun monthly. No dramatic improvements in my shooting draw and fire may have a slight improvement over the summer. Am I wasting time and ammo? Opinions.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Lead Moderator
    You're not wasting time. Muscle memory is being improved, as well as basic pistol skills being kept up. If you were a decent shot before you probably will never see dramatic improvements.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Use it or loose it is what I always say. Any practice is worthy. No waste of time and ammo. Every time you shoot, you're improving. Although it may not be what you want or what you'd really like to do, you're more than likely improving even though you may not realize it. Consider yourself lucky for being able to shoot in the back yard.....I do. You don't have to shoot up any ammo in practicing your draw, just a safe and sure target. I do a lot of dry-firing as well. Never be disappointed in a practice session no matter what. IMO, you're being too hard on yourself.

Administrator
    It is possible for you to reach a plateau where it does not seem like you are showing any visible improvement. It happens.

Time to tax your skill sets a bit harder. Make things tougher on yourself.

I've asked myself the same question. A couple of years ago I was shooting 200 rounds per week, minimum.

1911A! Springfields in .45 I thought I was gettin pretty handy but not really improving as much as I thought I should.

Without the long story, I ended up with a Year and a half long layoff and interruption.

Result , by my standards, Lousy shooting, 200 rounds in the last week, almost back in the groove, another 2-300 and I'll be back where I was.

I'll cut back to maybe 50 a week with my carry gun and I know I may not improve, but I wont lose anything again.

I'd say you are doing EXACTLY the right thing!

FWIW, I've been shooting 1911's on a (mostly) regular basisis for something over 50 years. This has happened to me before. (I'm a slow learner!)

As always, JMHO, YMMV.

Regards,
    :)
    SEMPER FI

We stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, the Rope from the Army
    And on the seventh day when God was resting ... We overran his perimeter and stole the Globe
    And we have been guarding it ever since!

If I do not go out and run some drills at least once every 2 weeks, I can notice the difference even without a timer. Work you basics and work on moving - throw in some long distance and some face to face. Don't just send rounds down range, pracrice skills.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Administrator
    Don't tie the number of shots fired to your practice sessions. Like QK said, challenge yourself.

Draw and fire one shot at a particular challenging shot, and keep doing it until you get it. If you find yourself rushing or getting tired, stop for the day. You will see improvement quickly, and you wont waste a single shot.

Bottom line is, you don't need to shoot a lot for quality practice. Sometimes, you do more harm than good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

As long as you have a goal for each session it is never wasted time or ammo no matter how short. I might also mix in a little dryfire before hand to smooth out the draw and trigger control.

Firing 5 good rounds is better then blasting away 50 rds.

Just blasting will ingrain bad habits that will be hard to break!!

Sometimes, when you get to feelling that way, a short hiatus will end the "doldrums," the feeling that you're wasting your time by not making marked improvements. Sometimes the training groove you get into, ends up a rut. Change the structure of your training - if you're shooting handguns, go shoot skeet (shotguns) for a while, or try archery, or learn to throw a knife and/or axe. The skill-sets (hand/eye co-ordination, target acquisition) actually cross over more than it would seem, and variety can put the fun back into activities. When you get back to handgunning, you'll likely find that - although you may return below the level you were when you quit - you will quickly return to and exceed your previous level. (Called "Takin' a Break" ) Works in Martial Arts, weight-training, and about everything else I've ever done.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Senior Moderator
    In any area of training you will improve quickly and then as your skills catch up to your natural ability.

You can keep increaseing your skills and abilities but it takes longer.

A couple of things I like to do for fun range time,
    1) play hit the golf ball, shot a golf ball and chase it away
    2) Draw and shoot the balloon. Make sure the balloon is attached to a string long enough that it sways in the breeze
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    All shooting is good.
    I practice anything from up close hip/retention shooting to shooting cans out to 200 yards.
    It's all good and lots of fun.

While it doesn't sound like you are doing any harm, you might get more value out of your training time if you organize a methodology to identify and work on developing specific skills during specific drills.

As just about everyone has noted, trigger time is better than no trigger time, but you have to recognize and acknowledge the limitations of your training, whatever it is.

If, for example, someone asks me if they can consider shooting a .22 replica of their carry gun "training", I always tell them that it is better than nothing, but they need trigger time on the real thing as well. Training with a .22 is a good way to convince yourself that you're a circus performer when you start pulling off trick shots and long tight strings of fire with almost-no recoil (zippers, patterns, hip shooting and various other tricks get remarkably easy with a .22 and some choreographed range time and then go to hell pretty quick with a centerfire).

I like to use drills that isolate one or two factors and then train them in the context of a defensive shooting (as much as the setting allows).

Don't let a lack of obvious progress discourage you.... I think you are on the right track just asking the questions. Too many are complacent with good square range performance on simple, rehearsed drills.

Links