Krav Maga

This is a discussion on Krav Maga within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like some fresh feedback on this: Wife wants to sign up for KM at a certified school. Prices seem "okay" but there's a huge ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

Krav Maga

I'd like some fresh feedback on this:

Wife wants to sign up for KM at a certified school. Prices seem "okay" but there's a huge "initiation fee" that seems unusually high in spite of their lowering it twice as a "special". Has anyone signed up their spouses and felt it was worth it long term?

I guess I'm really trying to justify the cost. The "administrative" fees are kind of a turn off.

2. Remove Ads

How much exactly are they asking? (If you don't mind sharing?)
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

1 year contract = 89/month + 199 "initiation fee". This includes KM levels 1-4 in addition to a number of fitness classes. The 199 fee has dropped to 149, then to 99 as an end-of-the-month special. There must be a heck of a lot of paperwork to process.

It is pretty much gym membership prices; however they are only open 5 days per week, no A.M classes except for Saturdays (10am).

2 year contracts drops it to 69.00/month.

I may just splurge and surprise my wife since she recently gave the ok to purchase a few weapons.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    When I signed up, the "initiation fee" covered the cost of the uniform, belt, mouth guard, etc, etc, etc.

I wouldn't sign up for a long term contract unless you absolutely are sure that you will do it for two years. Why not sign up for say 3 months to see if you like it.

I think it is a great system. Much depends on the teacher and other students. Good luck and have fun.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I've been involved in martial arts for a long time (not that I'm any good at it). All of the good "schools" have NEVER had long term contracts or contracts at all. As a business, they all sucked, but were great places to learn.

IMhO, any place that charges such an high initiation fee and have a contract are businesses first and MA instructors second.

Also, as far as I know Krav Maga does not have any "uniforms" as they are street defense system and you just wear street clothes or sweats or such.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Certified by whom? Talk to students that have been there a while, and maybe google their school name and check bullshido.net. Never know, there might be some feedback. High initial fees always make me wonder why they can't turn enough profit with just monthly fees, but if it looks to be a good school and I could scrape the money together, I'd pay almost whatever.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It is a Krav Maga Worldwide Training Center here in San Antonio. I'm not sure how certification works but my wife was told that they are all certified instructors.

They do have a 6 month minimum contract which costs 99/month. I may sign her up for this if they can waive the sign up fee.

What kind of questions would you ask them with regards to certification and the quality of their instructors?

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Certified by whom? Talk to students that have been there a while, and maybe google their school name and check bullshido.net. Never know, there might be some feedback. High initial fees always make me wonder why they can't turn enough profit with just monthly fees, but if it looks to be a good school and I could scrape the money together, I'd pay almost whatever.
    This is my dilemma, "is it worth it"? The money is not an issue but I do try to be a good steward of it.

bis
    I study Krav Maga at a KMWW school in CO (5 months today!) and while I can't speak specifically to the school in San Antonio as far as I know KMWW rules are fairly standard. I do know the process to become certified as an instructor is incredibly rigorous.

I first attended a free women's self defense seminar and they offered 20% off their usual monthly fee to sign up that day but I never had to pay an initiation fee. I signed a 6 month contract and after that can go month to month if I choose. I do know that one girl said she couldn't afford to commit for 6 months so they let her go for 3 or something like that. You could probably just ask and see if they'd be willing to work something out.

For the record: I LOVE it. It's a great workout and I hear people comment all the time about how it has "changed their life." As an aside, it seems like my school in general is very pro-2nd Amendment so that's a nice bonus.

Second Amend, I'll be very interested in hearing more of what your experience is with the school. I've considered doing that myself since I'm here in San Antonio, also.

It's very common for a health club or fitness center type of business to have an initiation fee, because so many people drop out. They try to make some bucks up front.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I study KM at a KMWW school here in Franklin, TN. I am also in Law Enforcement and can tell you that Krav Maga is in my opinion the VERY BEST defense education and fitness training a civilian can get.

As far as Krav Maga World Wide as a network of schools and instructors I can tell you that they don't play around. The certification process is extremely hard. KMWW holds their instructors and affiliated schools to very high standards so just about any KMWW school you find should be top notch.

You will learn how to defend yourself efficiently and ruthlessly and you will get into great shape at the same time. If you don't leave class soaking wet with sweat you aren't trying hard enough. You will learn what it truly feels like to have to work through utter fatigue and exhaustion in the fight for your life against multiple attackers many of whom will be armed be it knife, stick, gun, whatever.

If you do take the opportunity I don't think you will regret it at all.

Matt
    -----------------------
    -SW1911
    -Sig P229
    -M&P 40c
    -Glock 30 SF

Krav Maga is very effective as is any Martial Art as long as the student is a "fit". What I mean is that some systems emphasize techniques that are or may be unsuited to the individual students body type, sensibilities, capability. Krav seems to be more capable of "tailoring" than some of the other more rigid (traditional) systems.

As for the cost of the programs you list - Krav is becoming the new "in" Martial Art. Just like anything that is "in" the price is reflective of the status.

Here is the link to the Krav USA site. If the facility is listed here it should be what the profess - Krav Maga Association of America, Inc. Israeli Self Defense.

I owned and operated several schools since 1979 and am always amazed at what is being charged nowadays..............

It is hard to say if it is worth it or not if your wife will go and work at the classes she will learn a ton from it and be much safer for it.

According to the school, the initiation covers 1) costs from the 3rd party company that handles the monthly debit amounts from people's accounts, and 2) commission for the person who signs people up.

What do you think of this?

The school is supposed to have decent feedback and is accredited by the KMWW.

i just recently started training in Krav with my roomate is certified to teach, his father teaches various martial arts back in VA and of course had to pass some of that knowledge down to his son. anyway its fun and a good workout and since were friends he teaches me for free which is the best part.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links