AzQkr(Brownie)'s course completed.

This is a discussion on AzQkr(Brownie)'s course completed. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've never had any type of training before so I had no idea what to expect. Wish I had taken this course years ago. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AzQkr(Brownie)'s course completed.

AzQkr(Brownie)'s course completed.

I've never had any type of training before so I had no idea what to expect. Wish I had taken this course years ago.

The skills are quite easy to learn and practice. Even shooting on the move-something that I was never really good at-wasn't difficult at all.

I certainly want to sign up again.

Sorry it's short, but I got to get my arm on ice-slinging a 1911 for nearly a thousand rounds is something else I haven't done before...

2. Remove Ads

Come on, brotha, you can't leave us hanging like that!! I'm very interested in his course, so when you get the swelling down, you've gotta get some details posted! Pics? What'd you shoot (brand, caliber, etc.)?

I just got back from the course also. Scratchy did all his work with his 1911, and did quite well! I'm sure he'll do a report. I didn't think I could even load over 1000 rounds in magazines in a weekend, let alone shooting with amazing accuracy, but I did. I'm pooped, but will write a report on my experiences tomorrow. Just one hint for you guys that may take the course in Flagstaff in the future...DON'T GET A MOTEL NEAR THE RAILROAD!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I just got back from the course also. Scratchy did all his work with his 1911, and did quite well! I'm sure he'll do a report. I didn't think I could even load over 1000 rounds in magazines in a weekend, let alone shooting with amazing accuracy, but I did. I'm pooped, but will write a report on my experiences tomorrow. Just one hint for you guys that may take the course in Flagstaff in the future...DON'T GET A MOTEL NEAR THE RAILROAD!
    Did ya feel like Joe Pesci in My Cousin Vinny?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like a great reason to take some vacation time and the many frequent flier miles I have to go take a course.

Can't wait to hear the final report.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I just might have to make that trip also Paco..all I've read is nothing but positive comments..

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Aaaaaaayep

Once again, just in case you all missed it the first time, this class is just amazing. I think every one of us out there took a lot away from this class - even myself and a few others who had been before.

The weather cooperated long enough on Saturday to work out perfectly. We shot from around 7am until maybe noon or 1pm. Weather turned a bit nasty and cold for around 3 hours. Then myself Brownie, Sgt443, and Brownie's partner in cri- err instruction (Mike) went out and practiced more. We shot clays, did some rifle QuickKill and a little more pistol work on my end. Sunday was just great, too.

My original review is listed as the second link in my signature line. I'll let the others go into detail here about what they liked and took away.

Though, here are a few things of note. For everyone out there who thinks this is a bunch of hocus pocus stuff and says that QuickKill doesn't work? HA! Myself and Sgt443 took this class together in June, though he had some private instructional time with Brownie before either class. Saturday evening when we were practicing Rifle QuickKill, Brownie had us shooting at aerial targets. Within a few minutes we were shooting at smaller and smaller items. Sgt443, on the first try, shot a 9mm shell casing out of the air. He then hit it three more times. I couldn't hit the casing for a number of reasons. LOL So I was happy to shoot at .40S&W shell casings and shotgun shells from 15-20 feet that were scattered around the ground. Some people might repackage this skill and call it something else but down and dirty, the skills taught will keep you alive when it counts. For the instruction you get, the good times shootin the breeze with Brownie, Mike and the other students.. Take this class three times and you'll have effectively paid for a weeklong Gunsite Course. And I promise.. you will take more away from Brownie than a week at the Ranch in Paulden, AZ.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Is there a listing of upcoming classes here in AZ? I wanted to go to this one but could not get out of work. Sounds like a great training opportunity.
    G23 for me and a G26 for my bride.
    AR15 for backup

Too bad you missed this past weekend.
    Here's Brownie's website. He's also very accessible via PM's...
    Take the class. It's worth flying somewhere to!

Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Sponsor
    scratchy wilson,

Real pleasure to meet and train with you. Looking forward to your thoughts on this when your arm recoups. You shot your 1911 very well, the threats were decimated with every skill set with old slabsides

SixBravo,

Once again, thanks for taking the time to attend and post your thoughts on the skills covered and that are imparted in the class. It was good to get to train with you again.

AZ Husker,

Thanks for your review of the weekend as well. Really enjoyed the time spent and the effort you made to attend.

Paco; SwampRat; C4 MAX,

Looking forward to meeting and training with all of you in the future. I can be contacted here through pm or email or Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin anytime. If you have questions, don't hesitate to connect with me.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I'm going to have to cheese out and direct you to Tracy's review. He put it a lot better than I could, and I'm afraid I'd just be repeating him.

AzHusker's review

Instead I'll just give a few of my experiences:

I started with a Colt Government 1911. Got me through most of the day until it choked on one round(should I call her 'Linda?). Good thing as that's when I noticed that the grip screws were coming loose. By this time the trigger(grooved face) had turned the pad of my finger into hamburger, so clever me decides to switch to my standby, Old Bill. 'Old Bill' is a Springfield Armory from about 1916 with the original rounded trigger that almost feels like you're caressing silk lingere...

Unfortunately, it also has the standard grip safety tang that after one magazine rubbed raw the web of my hand. Switching to a shooting glove prevented me from operating the thumb safety. Well hell, lucky I brought a Wilson Protector which got me through the rest of the day(we were pretty much done by then), and through the next. Three no-name GI copy magazines bit the dust-probably literally; two just wouldn't take more than one or two rounds and the third busted the welds of the floorplate. I'm still glad I had them-I cringed when I dropped the Wilson magazines in the dirt. If there's any point to be made, I'd say shoot whatever you plan to use for a straight couple of hundred rounds. Know that you'll be comfortable with it, and that it will last for the long haul.

One thing I do feel I missed out on a little was using a single stack gun. I don't feel I shot as much as I could've compared to those using the hi-cap guns(HK, XD, Glock), even though I had probably ten or more mags stuffed in my back pockets(damn my pants felt light when I was unloaded). I also lost track of my round counts too easily-ran dry a few times too often which felt like I kept everyone waiting. I'm still amazed how fast Lonnie was with his twin snubbie revolvers.

One item I had with me I am really pleased with is a Sidearmor holster I picked up a few days earlier. Made of Kydex, this thing made drawing real slick and reholstering was unmistakable as you can both hear and feel the gun 'click' in. Didn't worry so much about dirt(just run a paper towel through) or so much about finish wear(the Colt has some sort of 'shake & bake finish, and the Wilson is ArmorTuff'd)as it feels like tension or 'anchor point' is the around the trigger guard. When I take the course again, I'll probably have either a Glock or an M&P, with the same type of holster.

If Brownie offers a course with similar settings, ie camping out, make the time to meet him the night before as well as stay after the first day(wish I didn't miss the second night). The stories and info are worth it.

Sponsor
    Hey scratchy,

That sure was a nice old ww1 1911 you had with you. I used to collect the ww1 and ww2 1911's and the SA's are some of the nicest from that era that were ever made IMO, I was jealous but mucho thanks for letting me put a mag through it.

One thing I do feel I missed out on a little was using a single stack gun. I don't feel I shot as much as I could've compared to those using the hi-cap guns

You carry a 1911, you shoot a 1911, your skills with the 1911 were superb in the class all weekend. I'm sure that really increased your confidence level with the 1911 you'll likely have with you if you ever need it. Not a bad thing to know you can run em like that when needed, so I wouldn't say you missed out by not shooting as many rounds through the course. Your time on the 1911's was well spent IMO.

That Sidearmor holster was very sweet. I don't care much for kydex rigs, but that was one very sleek rig, easy to conceal and worked well for you all weekend.

I'm glad you were able to come out Friday night and get some time in on a few pointers with the unarmed against a knife. As you could probably tell, I'm very happy to spend time with some H2H as well as unarmed against a blade skills and hope you picked up on the idea that they are an important part of the overall SD package one should have to be better well rounded. You did like that particularly nasty forearm pressure point didn't you?

Looking forward to training with you again in the future sir. A big thanks for your support and coming out to train with us last weekend.

Brownie

Administrator

"Three no-name GI copy magazines bit the dust-probably literally; two just wouldn't take more than one or two rounds and the third busted the welds of the floorplate."

Please allow me to intrude on this thread and remind 1911 shooting folks that there are literally tons of counterfeit "COLT" 1911 magazines floating around out there. They are complete with the Colt logo and seemingly correct markings but, they are extremely sub-standard in every way.
    The springs are inferior as is the steel that they are fabricated from.
    If you intend on buying "Factory Colt" magazines...only buy them from a known trusted source.
    There must have been a railroad car of these fake magazines that were originally imported into the U.S. intended for sale on Ebay.
    Then Ebay banned the sale of firearm magazines on Ebay.
    Now I understand that these Copy Colt Crap Mags are floating around for sale in lots of other places all across the country and they are garbage.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I'm glad you were able to come out Friday night and get some time in on a few pointers with the unarmed against a knife. As you could probably tell, I'm very happy to spend time with some H2H as well as unarmed against a blade skills and hope you picked up on the idea that they are an important part of the overall SD package one should have to be better well rounded.
    Don't bleed on me!

Scratchy was right on. I can't tell you guys enough to come out and hang for the evenings after class. Its just a blast.

And hey Scratchy, I forgot to tell you!! That venison was just AMAZING!! I had a couple skewers Saturday night. Absolutely wonderful marinade. Thanks for that donation, sir!
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Sponsor
    Don't bleed on me!

That will get some people wondering, you should probably go ahead and explain the quote SixBravo

The venison and pig were a very generous gift by Scratchy indeed.

Brownie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links