Quick Kill Training Review

This is a discussion on Quick Kill Training Review within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful class put on by Brownie (AzQkr) in Flagstaff, AZ this past weekend. I've been through numerous styles ...

Thread: Quick Kill Training Review

I had the opportunity to attend a wonderful class put on by Brownie (AzQkr) in Flagstaff, AZ this past weekend. I've been through numerous styles of shooting and was looking for one thing in particular...accurate and fast shot placement with my aging eyes. I'm to the place in life where those dreaded reading cheater glasses are a necessity. They do not work with front sight focus. I do have a set of bifocals that also are not conducive to shooting. My distance eyesight is still fine, but there is no way I can quickly and reliably do the old "Front Sight/Press" techniques anymore.

One day I found a thread about a class in Quick Kill techniques. Sounded kinda "Soldier of Fortune" at first, but I did more research. I discovered an instinctive shooting style not unlike hunting with a shotgun. If you've ever taken down birds consistently, you know that you're really not looking at that front bead, it's just there for a reference. This weekend's class reminded me a lot of that very thing.

After a brief safety meeting, we were on the range. If you want training with a ton of classroom lectures and theories, this is NOT the one for you. This is a SHOOTING class, and man did we do it. I did just over 2000 rounds in one weekend. I never imagined I could even load that many magazines, let alone shoot that much and still have hands. I fully intended to use my normal carry gun, a 4" 1911 .45acp. Thank God I brought along my Glock 19 and a bunch of magazines! It saved my wrists and my ammo budget. I never quite could get used to the Austrian pistols, but am certainly a fan now. All the work in the class was done starting in the holster. That impressed me, I hate a fake environment. There were five students, ranging in age from college to us more seasoned fellers. No two guns alike. Three hi-cap 9mm's, one Wilson 1911, and an amazing experienced deputy sheriff in a well-worn cowboy hat using a snub .38 (this is his third time attending, and I understand he's used different platforms each time). I don't think any of his shots out of that little wheelgun were out of the chest ring. Within one round of shooting after Brownie's sighting explanation, EVERY student had his entire string in the chest.

We were taught twelve different techniques that covered everything from stand and deliver on multiple targets at close range, to shooting on the run, ALL WITHOUT THE USE OF SIGHTS. I'm in heaven. This is just what I needed. You should have seen the look on everyone's face when they blasted a six-inch target at near 50 yards without looking at the front post. Not once, but their entire magazine. I think I'll have my sights removed for a snag-free draw...

Every technique was simple and understandable, almost instinctive. I've never been to a class where everyone understood the instructions, and performed the drills the very first time, every time. Brownie is a very easy guy to learn from (don't come if a little blue language offends you), and made us all feel welcome and comfortable from the first minute. We all had his personal attention at all times. Quite different from some schools I've been to where you're handed off to some "instructor trainee" for the afternoon. His styles are proven and mastered. It is obvious he believes in what he teaches. We have a lot in common in our past lives and experiences, and I could tell immediately he knew what he was talking about. No bravado, no war stories, just honest instruction that got to the point.

I won't go into the actual techniques, you've got to take the class for yourself. I will strongly suggest this class to anyone, not just an old fart like me. When I watched new shooters start putting two in the chest, one chest and one in the head, or engaging two targets and hitting two COM in far less than two seconds out of a holster without using the sights, I was convinced. Just think what we can do with practice! Thanks for a wonderful weekend Brownie!

Here's his website, tons of interesting stuff, not just the Quick Kill class I just finished...
    Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Tracy
    Phoenix
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Sponsor
    I really appreciate your thoughts and review here on the training this last weekend up in Flagstaff Tracy. Your views on the effectiveness of the skills and the course of instruction are quite poignant as I know you've got some professional miles behind you in various shooting disciplines at different venues. You were banging on that 1911 and g19 with rapid fire hits all weekend, and I noticed on many occasions that your multiples were touching in rapid fire, just goes to show what popeye forearms and wrists can do with a convulsive grip.

I had a great time training with you, Jay, Lonnie, Aaron and David this weekend. Just a great bunch of guys who came with an open mind and got down to the business of staying alive with a handgun should we have to use it one day.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, I really appreciate it sir. We'll hook up again soon and head out into the desert for some banging around on the steel plates. I know I'll enjoy the company.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

You guys are killin' me!!

Sounds awesome, maybe someday I'll get out to Arizona and look em up, great write up and looks like a worthwhile weekend.

I fire on my own range here sightless as well, and am getting better with practice, professional instruction could prob put me over the hump.

Hope Brownie does make it back to FL. Was supposed to have a class here a short time ago, but it got canceled. Hope I'll have the time and $$ on hand when he returns!!

Get a bunch of shooters together and contact him. He seems to travel pretty light!

Mybe a video option would be good for us folks on the right side of the USA!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    Hope Brownie does make it back to FL. Was supposed to have a class here a short time ago, but it got canceled. Hope I'll have the time and $$ on hand when he returns!!
    I was out of town when that class was scheduled. I, too, would love another opportunity to take the class in Florida.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Sponsor
    Hope Brownie does make it back to FL.

I, too, would love another opportunity to take the class in Florida.

The Chief of Police for the town I've been training the officers for is running for County Sheriff and being a politician at the moment trying to get elected next month.

We were supposed to be training the officers a few months back but the scheduling never got finalized with the chief on the campaign trail down there. Their normal time set aside for training day is Thursdays so I plan on staying over the following weekend to put on the class when we reschedule in Florida.

It probably won't be till spring at this point, and if he gets elected, who knows what will happen, though I know the Lt. would be put in the chiefs role and he's all over the skills as well.

I hope the chief gets elected, it will mean 300+ officers need to be trained in the county, their training budget is bigger and "the new sheriff in town" has the mindset that his street officers need the training I provide.

I'll be back into the great state of Florida sometime, but right now we're waiting on the political outcome and for everyone to get back to work.

As AZ Husker mentioned, I'll travel if there's enough interest. 8 or more students brings me into the area, the person sponsoring the course gets a free ride along with his/her significant other on training.

Brownie

AzQkr

I read on the threatfocused forum that you have a instructor in Denver. I need to keep an eye out for the next class here.

Does he have a range allocated for his instructions/classes? If not, what about private property?

Not that I am likely to have the funds anytime soon, but I may scrounge something up.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsor
    Sticks,

I'm sending you a pm with the instructors name and contact email in a few minutes.

Put your user name on this forum from Defensive Carry in the header, he'll get it. You can talk with him about the when and where in the Denver area when you are "good to go" from there.

Brownie

Wanted to say thanks to AZQKR for posting the Pistol QK Shooting Technique on your link. I read, re-read, and printed it off...Now I'm taking it paragraph by paragraph...reading..doing..and starting all over again...I figure by repetition, thru dryfire, if nothing else, some of it will sink in so I can go to the woods and actually put into practice what I've been reading and doing in my living room. Look forward to seeing your schedule for Knoxville in 2009. I've already started pickin up cans to finance my trip...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I'll guarantee the time you spend picking up cans will be worth it! Those two days gave me more technique than the training I've been through in the last ten years!

Brownie,

How many victims warrant a trip out of state for you? Just thinking I might post a notice on the MS website I frequent and see how many are interested....

Sponsor
    First Sgt,

Wanted to say thanks to AZQKR for posting the Pistol QK Shooting Technique on your link

You are most certainly welcome sir. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to connect with me here through pm or email.

Slabsides45,

Minimum of 8, I'll need to be supplied with a venue we can shoot at, and your training is gratis for putting something together if you make it happen. Depending on the size of the range, I can handle up to 12 students by running two lines of 6.

Appreciate the interest.

Brownie

Sponsored Links