Jeff Cooper on Point Shooting

This is a discussion on Jeff Cooper on Point Shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Many years ago Carl Cestari loaned me a book written by Jeff Cooper called Fighting Handguns which was published in 1958. With a wink Carl ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Cooper on Point Shooting

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

Jeff Cooper on Point Shooting

Many years ago Carl Cestari loaned me a book written by Jeff Cooper called Fighting Handguns which was published in 1958.
    With a wink Carl asked me to turn to page 97 and read what Cooper had to say about "pointer fire".
    Quite frankly I was stunned, especially since this was the height (1992) of the anti point shooting push in the gun rags.
    Anyway, Paladin just republished the book, so let's hear about point shooting in Cooper's own words....
    ....."It's an axiom that hitting your target is your main concern, and the best way to hit is to use your sights, but circumstances do arise in which the need for speed is so great, and the range so short, that you must hit by pointing alone, without seeing your gun at all.
    ...Pointer fire is not as hard to learn as sighting, once you realize it's range limitations. using the 1911 auto-pistol I have found that I can teach the avjerage infantryman to stay on a silhouette at 10 yards--using pointer fire in two shot bursts--more easily that I can get him into that 25 yard bullseye using slow fire and sights.
    Of course this sort of shooting is strictly a way of obtaining body hits at essentially indoor ranges ( 30 feet and under)..
    ..But up close pointer fire can be murderously effective, and it's mastery is often the difference between life and death."( pg 97-98)

2. Remove Ads

How one would use sights when the dirtbag a few feet in front of you has a knife and is demanding your wallet?
    Hard to see sights when firing from retention...

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsor
    "Pointer fire is not as hard to learn as sighting, once you realize it's range limitations."

Those range limitations have been extended quite some distance than he'd have imagined possible.

Interesting he came to state the above when it's been argued just the opposite by his MT followers for years.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Jeff Cooper's written words are what they are.
    Now it's up to the individual to decide if what JC taught later was an improvement for combat survival or a very successful marketing agenda.

Learn both . Then if needed you can use. I think up to 10 yds point and after sight. I learned to shoot 1 handed and I can't shoot 2 handed . It doesn't feel right. Being old I ain't going to chamge.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

Administrator
    Well, it's sweet that Jeff Cooper reaffirmed a fact that every little kid that was ever deadly accurate with a slingshot or a pea shooter already knows.

"Gee Willikers Uncle Jeff there ain't no front sight and there ain't no rear sight on my pea shooter...how is it that I can still hit that fly in the eye with it?"

col. cooper

col. jeff cooper, you are(were) the man.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Sponsor
    "Gee Willikers Uncle Jeff there ain't no front sight and there ain't no rear sight on my pea shooter...how is it that I can still hit that fly in the eye with it?"

Two questions:

Was that pea shooter at line of sight?

Were you shooting out of the notch?

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Know yourself, know your limitatations, realize that under stress you will perform at a level well under that yu do on a range. If you feel that you don't have to use your sights and can shoot straight enough to immediately stop yu assailant and hit no innocent people go for it. Personally for anything longer than a rock back I'll try to get a Stresspoint front sight index.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    How one would use sights when the dirtbag a few feet in front of you has a knife and is demanding your wallet?
    Hard to see sights when firing from retention...

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    Hard to see ANY sights when you're in a fight for your life especially at less than 12-15 feet..ask anyone who has BTDT..

I ran across a dozen copies of a book on point shooting at the Army's Military Police School/Engineer School/Chemical School book store recently. Evidently one of these schools use this book in its curriculum. If I get a chance I'll drop by to see who wrote it--I think it was some LTC. Interesting reading.

Looks as if many here, as they say, get it.

I think some may find the following of interest....

The Clay Bird Exercise here at Gunsite during its good old days was one of the high points of the rifle program. Certainly a rifleman is unlikely to have to take on a target of that type for serious purposes, but a man who can mount up and bust a clay with his hunting rifle is a real master of the snap-shot, and here at Gunsite was the only place where he could learn such things.

Now, however, the Clay Bird program has been abolished as unsafe by Colonel Bob Young. The old order changes indeed.

We would like to think that the Clay Bird Exercise maybe revived by either Clint Smith or Naish Piazza. It was a feather in our cap and we miss it.
    Jeff Cooper's Commentaries: Vol. 1, No. 4

It's been revived, and is a highlight of Brownie's training sessions. I recently attended his Pistol Quick Kill course, and it was amazing. EVERYONE was doing COM shots very quickly out of the holster with no sights. I'm a believer.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I guess I should have put up a disclaimer.

AZHUSKER, I'm with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links