How often do you practice?

This is a discussion on How often do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How often do you go to the range for practice? How often do you go out just to relieve stress? When I get stressed I ...

View Poll Results: How often do you shoot?

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • Everyday!

6 2.49%
  • At least once a week

61 25.31%
  • Once every few weeks

89 36.93%
  • Once a month

45 18.67%
  • Once every 2 months

22 9.13%
  • A few times a year

13 5.39%
  • Rarely

4 1.66%
  • Never

1 0.41%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How often do you practice?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

How often do you practice?

How often do you go to the range for practice? How often do you go out just to relieve stress? When I get stressed I like to take the shottie out in the woods and shoot cans and various other things that I brought along that need to be destroyed . When I want to practice and make my groups tighter I go to an indoor handgun range here in town. I'd say I get out to shoot once a month, although lately I haven't been shooting because of cash, ammo and work schedule. How about you guys? How often and what do you do when you shoot? Range practice, plinkin in the woods etc...

2. Remove Ads

Used to shoot every other week and took several courses, too! Cost of ammo and range time has me trying to shoot on a monthly basis, still planning additional courses.
    I wish I was still in Northern MI or Alaska...could shoot almost any time and any place.

I traded sun for open space...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I shoot every week to every other week. I used to always practice bullseye shooting, pistol or rifle, but I started moving toward combat effectiveness instead. I love shooting bulls with the rifle though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I practice every week with a least 2 pistols and one of my carbines in addition to a least one defensive pistol - IDPA - USPSA match a week.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    At least twice a month. I think the things that are currrently going on will only get worst. I see the need to keep a bug out bag within reach.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I was going at least twice a month not too long ago. Money and time are now at a priemium. Haven't been in nearly two months and now I just got orders to stand by to deploy.

Oh well........I'll have to catch up when I get back.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I try to shoot every other week or so and I've taken 4 classes in the last year and a half.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I marked rarely just so it would have at least one vote, couldn't mark never because my guns get up by themselves to shoot varmits, got them trained you see. I hardly ever shoot most of my guns, I do my pistol practice with my airgun. Limited funds and somewhere close by to shoot limits how much I get out. They have closed the 2 places I used to practice so now I have to drive farther. I have been keeping my eye out for a good air rifle.

It's the time and $$ issue for me to.The dollar is getting squeezed on all sides, once a mo. is all I can do.

I try to get out twice a week, but unfortunately that's twice as expensive as once a week..
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Lately I have been doing 2 - 3 times a week and a monthly competition.

But it's all outdoors so winter will probably put a crimp in it. Our last competition for this year was a week ago. Just bought a reloader so maybe I will actually be able to afford what I have been doing.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I try to go every couple weeks (I'd like to go every day), but due to work, school, and money, I'm going about once every month.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I have been going weekly, but with the price of ammo it looks like I may have to cut back to every other week. I have a 14 year old son that goes everytime I go (if he isn't in school) and my wife actually went with me last month. She had a great time and shot very well. I may have another female joining our ranks!

I do not shoot frequently but I practice everyday. I work on my draw, trigger pull, dry fire, clearing malfunctions, reloads, and etcetera. Doing drills every day for a short time builds up muscle memory from repletion and frequency. Keeping the sessions short, I can concentrate on practicing for perfection and stopping when I am not practicing perfectly. When I do go to the range I don’t shoot that much ammo, a few magazines with my 1911 and a bit more with my Glock 17.

I practice every day, in the house, or outside. As for the poll and live fire practice, once a week. Last month I stretched it a little bit....went every other week to the range. Partly due to my work schedule, the weather, and other factors. Back to my once a week schedule for now. Going tomorrow, and just went this past Thursday. It helps when the range is two miles away from me!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links